Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best way to attach felt

I have some holes in this wood project I'm doing and I'm wanting to line
them with felt. Can't easily spray an adhesive in there and adhesive backed
felt is too hard to manuever down into the holes. I was thinking of thinly
spreading glue around in the holes, but I'm afraid it would soak into the
felt to much and make it hard. Anyone know of a good adhesive for this
purpose? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have generally used a contact cement, such as Pliobond for cementing
felt of fabrics, etc. It is a "rubber" cement, so stays flexible when
it dries. Perhaps silicon rubber caulk would work, but I don't think
that would give as good a bond.

You can easily use the brush on the cap. I'd just put it on one
surface wet, and press the felt into that. Try a scrap first, of
course.

/paul
Posted to rec.woodworking

Line the holes with felt? Or do you mean line the side(s) of a
cylinder? Or put felt only at the bottom of the hole? A spray
adhesive, with a straw-tube (like the tube WD-40 has) might work.

How thick of felt? Felt on a pool table is as thin as upholstery
fabric, but felt for upper padding of coil springs (upholstered chair
seats, etc.) is 1/4" thick. How thick of felt are you wanting to
apply? I assume the felt is thin, like pool table felt. I know of
spray adhesive for upholstery applications. Maybe a local pool table
shop (repair shop) might have some good ideas for thin felt.

For the bottom of the hole, maybe the felt pads for furniture leg/
feet, with the peel and stick adhesive, will help. Wal-Mart or any
similar outlet has these peel and stick felt pads.

For inserting felt into a glue lined hole, wrap the felt around an
appropriate sized dowel rod and jam it in.

If you are wanting to line a hole for tool rests or some similar
object that needs to rest in a cushioned/lined hole, maybe your best
bet is to cut through the holes/cylinders, ie., 2 halves, line the
halves with felt, then re-attach the halves to make the whole
"holding unit".

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"professorpaul" wrote in message
I have generally used a contact cement, such as Pliobond for cementing
felt of fabrics, etc. It is a "rubber" cement, so stays flexible when
it dries. Perhaps silicon rubber caulk would work, but I don't think
that would give as good a bond.

You can easily use the brush on the cap. I'd just put it on one
surface wet, and press the felt into that. Try a scrap first, of
course.

/paul

Thanks, this sounds like a good soloution. I'll try and find some Pliobond.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.craftflocking.com/index.p...About_Flocking

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message On Sat, 28
May 2011 20:14:44 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

I have some holes in this wood project I'm doing
and I'm wanting to line
them with felt. Can't easily spray an adhesive
in there and adhesive backed
felt is too hard to manuever down into the
holes. I was thinking of thinly
spreading glue around in the holes, but I'm
afraid it would soak into the
felt to much and make it hard. Anyone know of a
good adhesive for this
purpose? Thanks.

http://www.craftflocking.com/index.p...About_Flocking

This is neat! For some strange reason I've never
heard of flocking!
Thanks for the link..... phil k. :)}

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 May 2011 22:51:08 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message On Sat, 28
May 2011 20:14:44 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

I have some holes in this wood project I'm doing
and I'm wanting to line
them with felt. Can't easily spray an adhesive
in there and adhesive backed
felt is too hard to manuever down into the
holes. I was thinking of thinly
spreading glue around in the holes, but I'm
afraid it would soak into the
felt to much and make it hard. Anyone know of a
good adhesive for this
purpose? Thanks.

http://www.craftflocking.com/index.p...About_Flocking

This is neat! For some strange reason I've never
heard of flocking!
Thanks for the link..... phil k. :)}

Jewelcome. I think Lee Valley used to sell kits a few years back,
too. (I either saw kits there or at Rockler or Woodcraft, one of the
cataloggers.)

How to attach a PRV? saka UK diy 9 November 22nd 10 06:15 PM
I felt a little silly... [email protected] Woodturning 11 January 10th 09 12:23 AM
HAVE YOU EVER FELT LIKE THIS? James R. Shields Woodturning 2 September 22nd 06 05:28 AM
No felt [email protected] UK diy 19 June 5th 06 10:17 AM
to felt or not? jonfechner Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 02:13 AM