Posted to alt.home.repair
jonfechner

Default to felt or not?

Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11 plywood
siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their is no vapor
barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the existing siding?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

jonfechner wrote:
Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11 plywood
siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their is no vapor
barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the existing siding?

I would suggest a house wrap. You don't want that felt to become a
vapor barrier when you don't have a proper one on the inside.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"jonfechner" wrote in message
news:489696a2dc9730bdf0a91a014b4309f7@homerepairli ve.com...
Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11 plywood
siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their is no vapor
barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the existing siding?

I would use house wrap because it will let water vapor out but not let water
in. Suffering from OCD I would also spend the time to overlap and tape it
per the recommendations. Before I put it up I would make sure I caulked
every nook and cranny with the highest quality caulk I could afford. Then I
would caulk the hardie per recommendations. Don't forget the flashing on
the butt joints.

Suffer once and get paid back for years.

Colbyt

Felt Roofing? Ben UK diy 7 September 10th 12 12:58 PM
Roofer's Contract Spec'ed #30 felt paper, but used #15 instead --Suggestions? Don T. Spam Home Ownership 30 October 30th 05 03:24 PM
Shingles without felt? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 19 July 13th 05 05:18 PM
Question regarding roofing felt and drip cap!! Lee Bray Home Repair 5 October 29th 04 01:07 AM
Repair roofing felt from inside loft John Rumm UK diy 3 March 2nd 04 01:04 AM