Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default I felt a little silly...

I felt a little silly today screwing on my new $235 chuck onto my $200
lathe to turn with my harbor freight chisels and gouges. I know it
just made sense not to skimp on the chuck to save a few bucks, versus
the lathe and chisels being good enough to get started. I'm just
sayin, it felt a little silly for a moment there.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 6, 9:44*pm, wrote:
I felt a little silly today screwing on my new $235 chuck onto my $200
lathe to turn with my harbor freight chisels and gouges. *I know it
just made sense not to skimp on the chuck to save a few bucks, versus
the lathe and chisels being good enough to get started. *I'm just
sayin, it felt a little silly for a moment there.

-Kevin

You shouldn't!

Building up your lathe tool collection has to start somewhere, and the
HF tools are great for learning how to grind, sharpen and use the
tools. I think most turners have a box full of tools, but use on a
handful after they really get their style and favorite methods down.

And as far as a cheaper lathe, it will allow you to identify the
features you want on your next machine. (You know there WILL be a
next one, right?) I can also help you decide how big you want to
turn. I have a Jet mini and a Nova 3000. But for the most part, I
turn on the Jet mini as it is really easy to make small projects on,
you know, the kind that get finished.

I say well done, Kevin.

Now all you have to do is match up the rest of your equipment to match
your cool top line chuck.

;^)

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

If you plan to upgrade to a better/larger lathe some time in the
future then the investment will be worth the cost. I am still using
some of the first tools and chucks that I bought when I first started
several years ago. My new lathe is larger but the chucks still
works. All I had to do is purchase new adaptors and the old chucks
fit the new lathe.

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 7, 12:32 am, "
wrote:
Building up your lathe tool collection has to start somewhere, and the
HF tools are great for learning how to grind, sharpen and use the
tools.

I bought a $20 bowl gouge from LV to go with the chuck. It's kind of
funny that it's still a "cheap" gouge but it costs almost as much as
all my other ones put together. Hell, I just spent $100 on
bubblewrap and packing peanuts, and that isn't going last more than a
month or two.

And as far as a cheaper lathe, it will allow you to identify the
features you want on your next machine. (You know there WILL be a
next one, right?) It can also help you decide how big you want to
turn. I have a Jet mini and a Nova 3000. But for the most part, I
turn on the Jet mini as it is really easy to make small projects on,
you know, the kind that get finished.

I do mostly flat work, I got a lathe mainly for a specific need for
some 2.5" diameter half-rounds. I could get 2.5" dowels in cherry
from Rockler, but I wanted walnut too. And being able to make it
myself I could get the half rounds much easier than having to cut the
dowel lengthwise, and cheaper to boot. But I *really* resisted
getting that lathe because I knew it was a slippery slope. Upgrading
the lathe, well it will happen eventually, but it needs to get in line
behind every other tool in the shop

For the most part I think I am staying mainly with the flat work, I
think I've gotten my skills up to where I am able to do most anything
I put my mind to and am having fun and doing I think some different
kind of work. I think to be able to do anything unique at the lathe
is going to take a very long time of building up skills and going down
well trodden paths. Maybe I will get there by accident eventually.
I have this idea to do a sunflower bowl, walnut bowl with a thick lip
that I can drill 1/4" holes around the edge for dowels, with
yellowheart or canarywood petals done separately. It's either going
to be cool or look ridiculous, I'm excited to find out which.

Now all you have to do is match up the rest of your equipment to match
your cool top line chuck.

Actually what I have to do now is wait for the bowl blanks to get
here And I need to make a box to give all the chuck parts a home.
And I have to figure out how I am going to finish the foot on the
bowls since all I have at this point is the #2 jaws. I have a
birthday coming up next month, I'm thinking about that dedicated bowl
finishing chuck from PSI another poster mentioned a while back. The
mini-jumbo jaws cost almost as much as it did does, so it seems like a
good option. Especially since I can already tell for each set of jaws
that get used regularly eventually that's going to mean another chuck
getting bought, so it's more like $120 vs $275 not $120 vs $100.
Eight screws! There may as well be a rubik's cube on there. At least
if I dropped it I'd be able to find it behind the lathe

Mostly I am just procrastinating from doing the final sanding and
first coat of finish on some boxes that need to get done this week.
Mother nature is helping out by covering the driveway in snow/ice/rain
soup, how thoughtful.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:09:52 -0600, wrote
(in message
):

On Jan 7, 12:32 am, "
wrote:
[...]

yeah, and once you turn some stuff you like... well, you will be learning new
skills to add to your flat work skills

I could get 2.5" dowels in cherry
from Rockler, but I wanted walnut too. And being able to make it
myself I could get the half rounds much easier than having to cut the
dowel lengthwise, and cheaper to boot. But I *really* resisted
getting that lathe because I knew it was a slippery slope. Upgrading
the lathe, well it will happen eventually, but it needs to get in line
behind every other tool in the shop

well, of course... and remember that the line is liable to change and shift
from time to time.
Resistance is futile...

For the most part I think I am staying mainly with the flat work, I
think I've gotten my skills up to where I am able to do most anything
I put my mind to and am having fun and doing I think some different
kind of work. I think to be able to do anything unique at the lathe
is going to take a very long time of building up skills and going down
well trodden paths.

so, who cares about unique? Do it because it is fun and satisfying and you
can make useful stuff and you can learn things - the unique will come when it
comes, kinda like love, and you can't force it or measure it or schedule it
or predict it. You will know it when it happens and then you can nurture it.
Just make sure you are safe when you do it.

Maybe I will get there by accident eventually.
I have this idea to do a sunflower bowl, walnut bowl with a thick lip
that I can drill 1/4" holes around the edge for dowels, with
yellowheart or canarywood petals done separately. It's either going
to be cool or look ridiculous, I'm excited to find out which.

exactly!

Now all you have to do is match up the rest of your equipment to match
your cool top line chuck.

Actually what I have to do now is wait for the bowl blanks to get
here And I need to make a box to give all the chuck parts a home.
And I have to figure out how I am going to finish the foot on the
bowls since all I have at this point is the #2 jaws. I have a
birthday coming up next month, I'm thinking about that dedicated bowl
finishing chuck from PSI another poster mentioned a while back.

that might be me. The PSI chuck has a capacity of 8 inches, if you are
clamping onto the outer rim, surface, or edge of a thing. It has two sets of
screws for doing the grabbing... short ones, about an inch long and longer
ones, about double that length, with tapered rubbery somethings on them to
enhance their grip. I have not yet tested the holding abilities of the longer
screws yet. I did do a little experimenting with the shorter screws, to see
what it would take to launch a piece of semi-dry unbalanced birch a couple of
inches thick. Mainly, I think this chuck is for putting the finishing touches
on something that does not need a lot of heavy cutting. The force of the tool
on the wood has to be less than the force of friction which is holding the
wooden object to the chuck. Overall, I am satisfied with this chuck, even
though I have not begun to really wring it out, yet. Like any other tool I
have, I try to learn its limits and work more or less within them.

tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Kevin, Please wait your turn to feel silly over a foolish decision re
buying turning equipment. There's a long line of us who have the right
to feel silly ahead of you.

Suppose you had reversed that silly feeling and bought a heavy expensive
lathe and a cheap chuck. Notice I didn't say "less expensive chuck". I
think there are adequate chucks for midsized lathes for under $235 on
the market.

I agree that your chuck won't be wasted when you upgrade to a heavier
lathe, but it seems to me that most turners who own big heavy lathes and
chucks also own a mini (I know! I know! tiny things can be turned on big
lathes, but what's the fun in that?) and these less expensive chucks
serve mini's very well. I use one on my Jet mini. IMHO, using a _cheap
chuck on any lathe is not only silly, it is dangerous. Be glad it was
your feeling 'silly' that was short lived and not one of your body
parts.

Harbor Freight is all about separating the bargains from the junk and
IMHO there are bargains to be had at HF just as there are rip offs
available from the "silk stocking suppliers". Seems to me that many
turners upgrade their lathes and tools, but hold on to their lesser
quality chucks, often wishing they had bought better quality in the
first place. I don't know why upgrading chucks seems harder to do than
replacing lathes and tools. Now that just may be silly.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My metal turning lathe cost me $125 (used)in 1972 and I bought a $350
6" set-true chuck for it in 2000. Best investment I ever made.
I don't think it was silly at all.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

wrote:

I felt a little silly today screwing on my new $235 chuck onto my $200
lathe to turn with my harbor freight chisels and gouges. I know it
just made sense not to skimp on the chuck to save a few bucks, versus
the lathe and chisels being good enough to get started. I'm just
sayin, it felt a little silly for a moment there.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 7, 1:43 pm, tom koehler
wrote:

so, who cares about unique? Do it because it is fun and satisfying

Well right now it's short bursts of fun interspersed liberally with
swearing The combination of having to learn both how to sharpen
and the technique at the same time, because you don't always know
which one you are screwing up. The bowl gouge I got was already
sharpened, so that's helpful. I am trying to make a living off what I
do in the shop, so I have to pretty much go with the skills I already
have. I only have a limited amount of time to screw around figuring
out new stuff.

[...]

That's pretty much what I think the jumbo jaws are like, though it
doesn't have the longer screws. I don't see the point in having the
chuck and jaws being top of the line when it's just intended for that
limited role.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:43:27 -0600, wrote
(in message
):

On Jan 7, 1:43 pm, tom koehler
wrote:

so, who cares about unique? Do it because it is fun and satisfying

Well right now it's short bursts of fun interspersed liberally with
swearing The combination of having to learn both how to sharpen
and the technique at the same time, because you don't always know
which one you are screwing up. The bowl gouge I got was already
sharpened, so that's helpful. I am trying to make a living off what I
do in the shop, so I have to pretty much go with the skills I already
have. I only have a limited amount of time to screw around figuring
out new stuff.

ah, well... you are made of much sterner stuff than I am. Making a living
from your shop - well from what I have read here, many of the posters here do
enough turning that I assume they are making a living from their shops, too.

If you have the grit and the nerve (this is a good thing) to support yourself
from your shop, you will also figure out how to explore your skills and
expand them. You may have to put yourself into the same mindset as a person
who is working full time and then going to college, besides. Your motivation
is "learn or starve". Know that I am rooting for you. You can do this. It is
not going to be easy, though, and I do not doubt that there are folks here
who can give you good business advice learned the hard way. I was a dinner
pail guy, myself, so woodworking has always been strictly a source of
pleasure and a way of spending money rather than earning it. Best wishes to
you.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the kind words, Tom.

http://www.krtwood.com/photo/bowl001.jpg

Bowl #1. I was having fun there on the inside once I figured out some
clue as to what I was doing with the bowl gouge. Evidently I didn't
sand the tearout enough, and the bottom is a mess since I don't have
the aforementioned chuck yet. But it looks like a bowl to me and I
still have all the appendages I started with so I'm going to call it a
victory.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:44:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I felt a little silly today screwing on my new $235 chuck snip

Been there, done that !
Spending more on the chuck (almost) than what I spent on the lathe I
mean. =0 )

Lenny

Silly Sewer [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 17th 06 07:01 AM
Silly me, follow up.. Tim Lamb UK diy 0 March 4th 06 10:05 AM
Silly me:-( Tim Lamb UK diy 4 February 23rd 06 09:54 PM
Silly Question Richard UK diy 6 September 12th 04 10:19 PM
O.T. Those ATF guys are silly Gunner Metalworking 19 December 24th 03 03:02 PM