Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default I felt a little silly...

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:43:27 -0600, wrote
(in message
):

On Jan 7, 1:43 pm, tom koehler
wrote:

so, who cares about unique? Do it because it is fun and satisfying

Well right now it's short bursts of fun interspersed liberally with
swearing The combination of having to learn both how to sharpen
and the technique at the same time, because you don't always know
which one you are screwing up. The bowl gouge I got was already
sharpened, so that's helpful. I am trying to make a living off what I
do in the shop, so I have to pretty much go with the skills I already
have. I only have a limited amount of time to screw around figuring
out new stuff.

ah, well... you are made of much sterner stuff than I am. Making a living
from your shop - well from what I have read here, many of the posters here do
enough turning that I assume they are making a living from their shops, too.

If you have the grit and the nerve (this is a good thing) to support yourself
from your shop, you will also figure out how to explore your skills and
expand them. You may have to put yourself into the same mindset as a person
who is working full time and then going to college, besides. Your motivation
is "learn or starve". Know that I am rooting for you. You can do this. It is
not going to be easy, though, and I do not doubt that there are folks here
who can give you good business advice learned the hard way. I was a dinner
pail guy, myself, so woodworking has always been strictly a source of
pleasure and a way of spending money rather than earning it. Best wishes to
you.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.