Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default I felt a little silly...

On Jan 6, 9:44*pm, wrote:
I felt a little silly today screwing on my new $235 chuck onto my $200
lathe to turn with my harbor freight chisels and gouges. *I know it
just made sense not to skimp on the chuck to save a few bucks, versus
the lathe and chisels being good enough to get started. *I'm just
sayin, it felt a little silly for a moment there.

-Kevin

You shouldn't!

Building up your lathe tool collection has to start somewhere, and the
HF tools are great for learning how to grind, sharpen and use the
tools. I think most turners have a box full of tools, but use on a
handful after they really get their style and favorite methods down.

And as far as a cheaper lathe, it will allow you to identify the
features you want on your next machine. (You know there WILL be a
next one, right?) I can also help you decide how big you want to
turn. I have a Jet mini and a Nova 3000. But for the most part, I
turn on the Jet mini as it is really easy to make small projects on,
you know, the kind that get finished.

I say well done, Kevin.

Now all you have to do is match up the rest of your equipment to match
your cool top line chuck.

;^)

Robert