Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cabinet Touch Sensitive Light Switch Activating Itself?

About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two
internal halogen puck lamps. The lamps are controlled by a small,
round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch
adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. During
the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low
intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at
least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I
am assuming there are no safety concerns.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote
During
the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low
intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at
least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I
am assuming there are no safety concerns.

Yep, no problems.

I always called touch lights my "power interruption sensors." g

-- Jim in NC
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two
internal halogen puck lamps. The lamps are controlled by a small,
round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch
adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. During
the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low
intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at
least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I
am assuming there are no safety concerns.

RonB

Did you try to touch them and see if they change intensity?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 8:51*pm, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
RonB wrote:
About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two
internal halogen puck lamps. *The lamps are controlled by a small,
round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch
adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. *During
the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low
intensity without the switch being touched. *We have experienced at
least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? *I
am assuming there are no safety concerns.

RonB

Did you try to touch them and see if they change intensity?

--

-Mike-

Yes. They seem to be working fine otherwise.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two
internal halogen puck lamps. The lamps are controlled by a small,
round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch
adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. During
the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low
intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at
least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I
am assuming there are no safety concerns.

RonB

I's the switch protected by a surge protector? You may need a new switch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 May 2011 19:20:43 -0600, RonB wrote
(in article
):

About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two
internal halogen puck lamps. The lamps are controlled by a small,
round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch
adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. During
the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low
intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at
least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I
am assuming there are no safety concerns.

The touch dimmers in our house always go full-on after a brief power outage.
It's nice to know that all your high intensity lights have been full on for
24/7 after returning from a vacation.....

-Bruce

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

RonB wrote:
About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two
internal halogen puck lamps. The lamps are controlled by a small,
round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch
adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. During
the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low
intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at
least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I
am assuming there are no safety concerns.

RonB

Did you try to touch them and see if they change intensity?

--

-Mike-

Yes. They seem to be working fine otherwise.

RonB

Yeah, they are also thunder storm detectors, the lights will turn on and
increase brightness with every thunder clap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 May 2011 08:30:38 -0600, Bruce wrote:

[...]

Imagine a return to full intensity after a power outage caused by an
earthquake. Some of the lamps would be on the floor, or maybe on top
of a stack of papers... (Sorry, ex-Californian mindset.)

Time for a switch to CFL or LED, Bruce. HI lights are a fire hazard
as well as a complete waste of electricity.

--
I dislike arguments of any kind. They
are always vulgar and often convincing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 May 2011 19:05:14 -0600, Larry Jaques wrote
(in article ):

On Fri, 6 May 2011 08:30:38 -0600, Bruce wrote:

Imagine a return to full intensity after a power outage caused by an
earthquake. Some of the lamps would be on the floor, or maybe on top
of a stack of papers... (Sorry, ex-Californian mindset.)

Yep, scary thought!

Time for a switch to CFL or LED, Bruce. HI lights are a fire hazard
as well as a complete waste of electricity.

I agree, sorta. The chandelier above the dining room table just wouldn't
provide the same 'atmosphere' with CFLs, neither would the fish tank.
Besides, I've spent more on 1000 hour CFLs that I've save in electricty. Some
seem to last a long time, most seem to die in their youth (both the el-cheapo
imports and some higher dollar 'quality' bulbs).

LEDs are getting there, they just need to come down a bit in price. The new
replacements for the LV halogens have my interest.

I now keep the 'power outage indicating' touch-dimmers switched 'off' when
not in use. As remodeling continues, these get replaced with dimmers that are
more functional than exotic....

-Bruce