Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Feedback between CFL bulb and Touch Sensitive Lamp?

This post is not about using a CFL in a touch sensitive lamp, but
about the two sharing the same room!

I recently installed a CFL bulb in a ceiling fixture of a bedroom that
also has a touch sensitive 3 way lamp plugged into a wall outlet. The
touch sensitive lamp was turned on while I replaced the ceiling bulb.
As soon as I turned on the ceiling fixture at the wall switch both the
CFL bulb and the touch lamp started freaking out - flickering
strongly, the touch lamp cycled through its brightness levels. Within
about 30 seconds the CFL went out and never came back on.

I've Googled to find information about what happened but couldn't find
any information about using a CFL and a touch sensitive lamp in the
same room. Is there something wrong with the wiring in the room? HAs
anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 3:44 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote groups.com:

This post is not about using a CFL in a touch sensitive lamp, but
about the two sharing the same room!

I recently installed a CFL bulb in a ceiling fixture of a bedroom that
also has a touch sensitive 3 way lamp plugged into a wall outlet. The
touch sensitive lamp was turned on while I replaced the ceiling bulb.
As soon as I turned on the ceiling fixture at the wall switch both the
CFL bulb and the touch lamp started freaking out - flickering
strongly, the touch lamp cycled through its brightness levels. Within
about 30 seconds the CFL went out and never came back on.

I've Googled to find information about what happened but couldn't find
any information about using a CFL and a touch sensitive lamp in the
same room. Is there something wrong with the wiring in the room? Has
anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

Dave

some CFLs radiate a lot of electronic noise.
The lamp touch-sensor circuit may be very sensitive to it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ah! Another source of RFI (Radio frequency interference)? While I
always find these technological clashes somewaht humorous there is/are
serious side/s to it.

Wondering if the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) in the USA
and the equivalent agencies in other countries have standards for not
radiating undue radio-noise. Beginning to suspect there are none or
that those existing are not enforced. So some cheap lamps, say, are
imported and don't meet any particular standards? nd hen it comes to
something like that I don't think we can depend on ToysR'Us to recall
like whenthey find lead paint on something?

Seems like in some circumstances we are getting smothered with extra
technology which in turn interferes with existing services.

In Austria some time back a Civil Defense exercise had to cancelled
because their power company was trying out digital Internet signals
over it's power lines. Which were radiating at all sorts of
frequencies interfering with ambulance radios, some times used to
transmit patients vital signs while being ambulance transported! (e.g.
DOA; cause of death = radio interference from .......????) Also local
radio broadcasts to advise public of that exercise may have been
interfered with? So it was cancelled; fortunately not the real thing,
eh? I believe the power company was later enjoined (ordered) not to
repeat the tests because the RFI problems caused could affect daily
operations?

Quite apart from smart-touch lamps, that aren't so smart? All those
digital signals and satellites TV feeds are going to goof up one of
these days! (e.g. Sorry your brain scan is unresolved and must be
repeated; two satellites were in conjunction and the resulting
interference, just on our little patch of the planet, for just that
period of time you were in the MRI makes it unreadable).

Scary eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
news
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:24:04 -0700,
wrote:

This post is not about using a CFL in a touch sensitive lamp, but
about the two sharing the same room!

I recently installed a CFL bulb in a ceiling fixture of a bedroom that
also has a touch sensitive 3 way lamp plugged into a wall outlet. The
touch sensitive lamp was turned on while I replaced the ceiling bulb.
As soon as I turned on the ceiling fixture at the wall switch both the
CFL bulb and the touch lamp started freaking out - flickering
strongly, the touch lamp cycled through its brightness levels. Within
about 30 seconds the CFL went out and never came back on.

I've Googled to find information about what happened but couldn't find
any information about using a CFL and a touch sensitive lamp in the
same room. Is there something wrong with the wiring in the room? HAs
anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

Dave

A touch lamp is a dimmer. You CAN NOT put a standard CFL on a dimmer.
Thats what ruined it. As for the ceiling light causing the problems,
I'd agree with the other replies. Yet, you CAN NOT put a CFL on any
dimmer and you ruined the bulb doing so.

you didn't comprehend what he wrote;
"I recently installed a CFL bulb in a ceiling fixture of a bedroom that
also has a touch sensitive 3 way lamp plugged into a wall outlet.

He didn't have the CFL in the touch-lamp.

It's probably that the touch-lamp is overly sensitive to the EMI from the
CFL. Those lamps are flaky at best,IMO.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

In om, terry wrote:
On Oct 28, 3:44 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Line-voltage-powered CFLs with electronic ballasts, when marketed in the
USA, do have to be FCC approved. With the exception of most dollar store
models, in my experience these do have "FCC ID".

Most dollar store CFLs in my experience lack something else that
integral-ballast line-voltage-powered CFLs in the USA normally have: UL
listing!

If your CFL was not a dollar store stool specimen, and especially if it
had "Energy Star" approval and/or was made by one of the "Big Three" (GE,
Philips or Sylvania), then it was probably defective. I suspect something
on the circuit board broke and the CFL simply seriously malfunctioned and
fairly quickly died.

One more thing about most dollar store CFLs: In my experience, those
with light output claims fall short, occaisionally by a factor of three!

Another thing about them: In my experience, most have an icy cold
bluish "daylight" color, even some claiming "soft warm white light". They
also usually have a spectrum like that of "Old Tech" Daylight
fluorescents, which have a color rendering index of 79 and color
distortions mostly of reds and to a lesser extent greens being "darker and
duller than proper". Non-dollar-store CFLs have CRI of 82 and distortions
mostly in the direction of "brighter and more vivid than proper", though
some reds come out orangish.
There are some warm color dollar store CFLs, but they mostly have a
spectrum like that of "Old Tech Warm White", which has a color rendering
index of 53!

Yet another thing about dollar store CFLs: My experience is that they
have more than their fair share of early failures, malfunctions right out
of the package, and scary spectacular failures.

Many CFLs don't like the heat buildup in recessed ceiling fixtures.
However, it appears to me that they merely die early after overheating
(either days-weeks or something along the lines of roughly half their
normal life expectancy). Radio interference is not a complaint I have
heard of before from this.

There are CFLs rated to take the heat of recessed ceiling fixtures. The
example I remember best is non-dimmable version of Philips SLS of wattages
up to 23 watts.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

A touch lamp is a dimmer. You CAN NOT put a standard CFL on a dimmer.
Thats what ruined it. As for the ceiling light causing the problems,
I'd agree with the other replies. Yet, you CAN NOT put a CFL on any
dimmer and you ruined the bulb doing so.- Hide quoted text -

You can make your lamp into a touch on/off switch (I've done it).

http://www.touchandglow.com/product-p/f-1080.htm

Touch Lamp Repair don Home Repair 24 March 2nd 18 06:14 AM
Touch lamp stays on constantly Doc Home Ownership 3 April 4th 07 08:39 AM
Touch Lamp Nightmare Don Home Repair 5 February 3rd 06 09:57 PM
touch lamp queries [email protected] UK diy 4 January 25th 06 01:25 PM
Touch sensitive Light switch for bathroom BigWallop UK diy 9 October 28th 03 07:38 PM