Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Raised Panel Curved Cabinet Doors

I'd like to steam bend some solid cherry panels, approximately 23"H X
30"W, the bend/arc to be perpendicular to the grain and the complete
curve to be 90 degrees.... for making 2 curved cabinet doors at the
corner of the cabinet. I suspect this sort of bending may not be
sucessful. Has anyone tried this and what may be the best technique,
in anything special? Actually, I suspect steaming is not the way to
go.

I suppose my alternative is to glue up and laminate the stock, to make
the rough curve and thicker stock (along the seams), then carve/sand
down to the appropriate curve/contour.

I think I need to be successful with the curve/bend aspect of the
panel, first, before I can address the raised panel aspect.

I've never attempted curved doors, so I don't know if either of these
approaches is best/appropriate. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I've checked out these 2 sites, so for, but I think I need more
"schooling" for my particular doors.
http://www.miterclamp.com/radius/pag...photoessay.htm
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...net_doors.html

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/3/2011 10:49 AM, Sonny wrote:
I'd like to steam bend some solid cherry panels, approximately 23"H X
30"W, the bend/arc to be perpendicular to the grain and the complete
curve to be 90 degrees.... for making 2 curved cabinet doors at the
corner of the cabinet. I suspect this sort of bending may not be
sucessful. Has anyone tried this and what may be the best technique,
in anything special? Actually, I suspect steaming is not the way to
go.

Well, if you were talking orienting grain other way, coopering would be
the way if you're adamant on being solid stock.

For horizontal grain w/ that much bend your only real alternative is
laminated. In reality, that's what veneers are for.

Oh, the raised panel thing...you're hosed other than laminating I think
and that'll leave glue lines showing; how prominent they'll be will
depend on how well you can match the grain and the finish.

Cherry doesn't bend well; the laminations will have to be quite thin I'd
expect; I've never tried the trick your asking about so don't have any
data on just what you'd be able to get away with but it won't be very
thick I'm thinking...

How much of a raised panel do you think you're going to want here? How
thick is the final piece going to be you think?

My gut feeling is I'd rethink the idea...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Make sure to post here if you actually pull this off. Very ambitious
and difficult. Would love to know if it is possible with reasonable
effort and results.

On May 3, 8:49*am, Sonny wrote:
[...]

"schooling" for my particular doors.http://www.miterclamp.com/radius/pag...net_doors.html

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 11:56*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Make sure to post here if you actually pull this off. Very ambitious
and difficult. Would love to know if it is possible with reasonable
effort and results.

I started this project last year, so I have the carcass partially
done. I do have old pics, but will get new ones, with close-ups of
the curve area. I'll post them this afternoon.

I have maybe 250 bd ft of air dried rough cut and 1400 bd ft of kiln
dried cherry to work with, so I have some wood to experiment with.

The results may end up being "reasonable" for me. LOL. The project
is ambitious for me, too, but I'm definitely learning more than I've
previously known.

This is my inspiration piece: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

Last year's pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
This is a curved corner/end: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/3/2011 12:36 PM, Sonny wrote:

This is my inspiration piece: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

I think the grain will look wrong if you run it horizontal in the doors
if you're making that piece (not to mention the added difficulty).

Run the grain direction vertical and cooper the stock for a solid door
panel. Not only will it be much easier, it will be more stable and
you'll not have to worry about either laminations failing or creeping or
similar problems w/ grain failure trying to bend lengthwise grain.

$0.02, etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

Just saw such a door made on "How it's Made" yesterday. The coopered
the panel and used a custom laminated and curved piece for the top and
bottom rails.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Puritanism: The haunting fear that
someone, somewhere may be having fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 8:49*am, Sonny wrote:
[...]

It is possible but very time consuming , soaking and steaming several
times over several weeks keeping constant pressure , your far better
off useing ply or laminating it up then veneering it .

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/3/2011 2:19 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Just saw such a door made on "How it's Made" yesterday. The coopered the
panel and used a custom laminated and curved piece for the top and
bottom rails.

But the panel grain was parallel to the curve, right? Sonny thinks
(iiuc) he wants to run the grain the other way. (As noted, I think the
aesthetics are wrong in that case as well as the pita construction, but
hey, it ain't my piece.... )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 1:36*pm, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Cherry tambour? Like an appliance garage on its side?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cherry tambour? Like an appliance garage on its side?- Hide quoted text -

Pooh Yie! That's too expensive! Besides, I don't want a beadboard
look. I want a raised panel look. Maybe some tambour for the next
project.

Cherry Tambour 96" x 24"
1/4" x 96" Long x 24" Wide
24" Solid Cherry Slats
Part# T-CT24-96
Shipping weight 48 lbs
Price $499.99

dpb .... Run the grain direction vertical and cooper the stock for a solid door

panel.

For sure, the grain will be vertical. The curve will be perpendicular
to the grain.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 7:16*pm, Sonny wrote:
Cherry tambour? Like an appliance garage on its side?- Hide quoted text -

Pooh Yie! *That's too expensive! * Besides, I don't want a beadboard
look. *I want a raised panel look. *Maybe some tambour for the next
project.

Cherry Tambour 96" x 24"
1/4" x 96" Long x 24" Wide
24" Solid Cherry Slats
Part# T-CT24-96
Shipping weight 48 lbs
Price *$499.99

dpb .... Run the grain direction vertical and cooper the stock for a solid door

panel.

For sure, the grain will be vertical. *The curve will be perpendicular
to the grain.

Sonny

Nooo... make your own!
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/3/2011 6:16 PM, Sonny wrote:

dpb .... Run the grain direction vertical and cooper the stock for a solid door

panel.

For sure, the grain will be vertical. The curve will be perpendicular
to the grain.

Oh, ok, I misunderstood or miscomprehended one...

Coopering is the way to go as another said...w/ cherry I'd opt for
laminating the upper/lower rail pieces.

Questions about raised panel kit. cabinet doors with curved tops. KIMOSABE Woodworking 25 August 13th 10 03:06 AM
Raised Panel alternative for kitchen cabinet doors - question [email protected] Woodworking 2 March 26th 07 01:35 PM
Raised panel cab doors from ply? trs80 Woodworking 7 January 29th 07 08:15 PM
Curved Raised Panel sdppm Woodworking 3 March 12th 06 11:50 AM
raised panel cabinet doors Mark Woodworking 7 August 20th 04 02:56 AM