Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Raised Panel Curved Cabinet Doors

On 5/3/2011 10:49 AM, Sonny wrote:
I'd like to steam bend some solid cherry panels, approximately 23"H X
30"W, the bend/arc to be perpendicular to the grain and the complete
curve to be 90 degrees.... for making 2 curved cabinet doors at the
corner of the cabinet. I suspect this sort of bending may not be
sucessful. Has anyone tried this and what may be the best technique,
in anything special? Actually, I suspect steaming is not the way to
go.

Well, if you were talking orienting grain other way, coopering would be
the way if you're adamant on being solid stock.

For horizontal grain w/ that much bend your only real alternative is
laminated. In reality, that's what veneers are for.

Oh, the raised panel thing...you're hosed other than laminating I think
and that'll leave glue lines showing; how prominent they'll be will
depend on how well you can match the grain and the finish.

Cherry doesn't bend well; the laminations will have to be quite thin I'd
expect; I've never tried the trick your asking about so don't have any
data on just what you'd be able to get away with but it won't be very
thick I'm thinking...

How much of a raised panel do you think you're going to want here? How
thick is the final piece going to be you think?

My gut feeling is I'd rethink the idea...