Posted to rec.woodworking
sdppm

Default Curved Raised Panel

I don't ever do anything easy so I am building a high end bar in my
pool room. I want the corner of the bar to be curved. I am making the
face of the bar raised panel. When I make the radius at the L shaped
corner I want to continue the raised panel. Has anyone made a curved
raised panel or am I wrong thinking there must be a way. I am sure it
wouldn't be easy.
I was thinking I could steam the panel and bend it . If I could do that
that still leaves the rail and stiles. How could I possibly router
those. Any Ideas

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"sdppm" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't ever do anything easy so I am building a high end bar in my
pool room. I want the corner of the bar to be curved. I am making the
face of the bar raised panel. When I make the radius at the L shaped
corner I want to continue the raised panel. Has anyone made a curved
raised panel or am I wrong thinking there must be a way. I am sure it
wouldn't be easy.
I was thinking I could steam the panel and bend it . If I could do that
that still leaves the rail and stiles. How could I possibly router
those. Any Ideas

Look at this site and see if you see anything like you are talking about.
http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door/
Then read his tips before asking.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan

On Sat 11 Mar 2006 05:42:58p, "Leon" wrote
in . com:

Look at this site and see if you see anything like you are talking about.
http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door/
Then read his tips before asking.

Ack. Now you did it, Leon. You broke Tom's website.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"sdppm" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't ever do anything easy so I am building a high end bar in my
pool room. I want the corner of the bar to be curved. I am making the
face of the bar raised panel. When I make the radius at the L shaped
corner I want to continue the raised panel. Has anyone made a curved
raised panel or am I wrong thinking there must be a way. I am sure it
wouldn't be easy.
I was thinking I could steam the panel and bend it . If I could do that
that still leaves the rail and stiles. How could I possibly router
those. Any Ideas

How tight is the radius of the curve Howard? I'm imagining that it would
have to be pretty tight in order to be practical. Maybe too tight for a
bend? How about a square, butted corner with a buildup inside the corner.
That way you can form the radius you want, and that radius can be pretty
tight, and then route/hand tool (as necessary) the contour of the raise. As
for the rails, if the radius is too tight for a bend, then build up strips
into a laminate over a form and leave groove enough in your buildup for the
panel to float in. It may take some hand tooling to get the profiles to
match your straight pieces that you run through the router, but it doesn't
seem insurmountable.

--

-Mike-