Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Raised Panel Curved Cabinet Doors

I'd like to steam bend some solid cherry panels, approximately 23"H X
30"W, the bend/arc to be perpendicular to the grain and the complete
curve to be 90 degrees.... for making 2 curved cabinet doors at the
corner of the cabinet. I suspect this sort of bending may not be
sucessful. Has anyone tried this and what may be the best technique,
in anything special? Actually, I suspect steaming is not the way to
go.

I suppose my alternative is to glue up and laminate the stock, to make
the rough curve and thicker stock (along the seams), then carve/sand
down to the appropriate curve/contour.

I think I need to be successful with the curve/bend aspect of the
panel, first, before I can address the raised panel aspect.

I've never attempted curved doors, so I don't know if either of these
approaches is best/appropriate. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I've checked out these 2 sites, so for, but I think I need more
"schooling" for my particular doors.
http://www.miterclamp.com/radius/pag...photoessay.htm
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...net_doors.html

Sonny