Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 4" number templates for router needed

What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address number in
front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and 6" tall for
businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need to do it in these
sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not practical
for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as letters.

Any suggestions?

Ralph
So. Calif.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:17:15 -0700, "Ralph Compton"
wrote:

What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address number in
front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and 6" tall for
businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need to do it in these
sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not practical
for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as letters.

Any suggestions?

If you're anywhere near Taft, CA (Bakersfield area) you're in luck. Go
see Gunner. He can either produce templates (or numbers) for you (for
pay, please) or sell you the extra Gorton Pantograph mill he has for
sale. Times are tough, so he can use the ducats.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

I used 6" plastic sign numbers and mastic on the front door almost 50
years ago.

As far as I know, they are still in service.

I knew that you must be a hermit. Havn't seen the outside of your front door
in 50 years...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/11 12:23 PM, CW wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
eb.com...

I used 6" plastic sign numbers and mastic on the front door almost 50
years ago.

As far as I know, they are still in service.

I knew that you must be a hermit. Havn't seen the outside of your front door
in 50 years...

he still has that nice boat he is building in the basement. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wanted to make custom address signs for friends and neighbors but do need
to have min. 4" numbers although names, etc., can be smaller.

Plan B is to make my own templates on the scroll saw and make my own jig to
hold them together. More trouble, nusance, but probably more rewarding when
the task is done.

Thanks for the advice.

"Ralph Compton" wrote in message
m...
What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address number
in front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and 6" tall for
businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need to do it in these
sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not
practical for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as letters.

Any suggestions?

Ralph
So. Calif.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address number in
front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and 6" tall for
businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need to do it in these
sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not practical
for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as letters.

Any suggestions?

Ralph
So. Calif.

Rockler 4" Interlock Signmaker's Number Templates. Item # 31093 at
$29.99.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ralph Compton wrote:
What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address
number in front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and 6"
tall for businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need to do
it in these sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not
practical for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as
letters.
Any suggestions?

Well here are 4" router templates

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22179

--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/11 7:16 PM, PV wrote:
Ralph Compton wrote:
What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address
number in front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and 6"
tall for businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need to do
it in these sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not
practical for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as
letters.
Any suggestions?

Well here are 4" router templates

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22179

Those scream, "high school shop class" to me.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/27/11 7:16 PM, PV wrote:
Ralph Compton wrote:
What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address
number in front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and
6" tall for businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need
to do it in these sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not
practical for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as
letters.
Any suggestions?

Well here are 4" router templates

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22179

Those scream, "high school shop class" to me.

And your point is?

--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address number in
front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall *and 6" tall for
businesses. *So if I want to do an address sign I need to do it in these
sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. *Doing freehand is not practical
for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as letters..

Any suggestions?

If this is a one shot project, you can print letters any size from a
word processor program. Glue the printout to plywood and cut it out.
Set the word processor to do an outline of the font and it will be
easier to cut.

Also see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUGkroZus_Y and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtm4u583YOQ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/11 7:58 PM, PV wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/27/11 7:16 PM, PV wrote:
Ralph Compton wrote:
What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address
number in front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and
6" tall for businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need
to do it in these sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not
practical for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as
letters.
Any suggestions?

Well here are 4" router templates

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22179

Those scream, "high school shop class" to me.

And your point is?

That's not clear enough for you? :-)

The results look cheap and juvenile. Maybe it's the font they used for
the templates. The examples in the images don't exactly portray "master
woodworker" to me. More like 4H project.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I did some numbers quite successfully not to long ago.

In Corel Draw, I have a script that rounds the corners of a polygon,
so I took some block numbers and rounded the corners to 5/8" (for a
1/2" router bit), and printed them on a laser printer. I then ironed
the paper onto a scrap sheet of MDF (laser printers use heat activated
ink! A trick I learned from this forum), and using a skill saw and a
router, I carefully crafted that into some nice templates. I then
taped those to the back of some glued up cedar (so the numbers
appeared backwards...), and using a pin router, routed the front. I
then used a carving chisel to add texture to the background.

I thought I could get an inverse form easily by using plaster of
paris, but that didn't work (at least on my first attempt). One of
these days I'll get some free time, and I'll try another method.
Here's some pics:

http://www.ulvr.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...num=1283824903

If you'd like, I can send you a pdf with some numbers (you'd have to
give me the height and router bit size).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote:
I did some numbers quite successfully not to long ago.

In Corel Draw, I have a script that rounds the corners of a polygon,
so I took some block numbers and rounded the corners to 5/8" (for a
1/2" router bit), and printed them on a laser printer. I then ironed
the paper onto a scrap sheet of MDF (laser printers use heat activated
ink! A trick I learned from this forum), and using a skill saw and a
router, I carefully crafted that into some nice templates. I then
taped those to the back of some glued up cedar (so the numbers
appeared backwards...), and using a pin router, routed the front. I
then used a carving chisel to add texture to the background.

I thought I could get an inverse form easily by using plaster of
paris, but that didn't work (at least on my first attempt). One of
these days I'll get some free time, and I'll try another method.

you need a release. try coating the wood with varnish, then that with
murphy's oil soap. also make sure you don't have undercuts (sides tapered
slightly so that the wood can be lifted out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address number in
front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and 6" tall for
businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need to do it in these
sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not practical
for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as letters.

Any suggestions?

Ralph
So. Calif.

See http://woodgears.ca/pantograph/index.html for a possible