Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How do I Make my own router templates for carving?

I have found some celtic knots that I would like to carve onto some
faceplates but I don't know how to make a template for it.
Any suggestions?

Anne

Posted to rec.woodworking

"greyanne" wrote in news:1153598221.196310.33450
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I have found some celtic knots that I would like to carve onto some
faceplates but I don't know how to make a template for it.
Any suggestions?

Anne

If you don't have acces to a laser cutter, waterjet machine, or CNC
mill/router, at some point you're going to have to cut it by hand. I would
try making it out of masonite using a coping saw or fret saw. Masonite is
fairly hard, but easy to cut, and is inexpensive. When you lay out the
design, you'll need to allow for whatever bushing size you plan to ue as
well as the bit diameter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 22 Jul 2006 12:57:01 -0700, "greyanne"
wrote:

I have found some celtic knots that I would like to carve onto some
faceplates but I don't know how to make a template for it.
Any suggestions?

Anne

Perhaps some mylar and Exact-O knives to make a stencil?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have found some celtic knots that I would like to carve onto some
faceplates but I don't know how to make a template for it.
Any suggestions?

A few- it depends on the job.

Usually I use 1/4" hardboard and rough cut to within an 1/8" or so of
the line, then file or sand to the finished shape. If you don't have
a bandsaw, get a coping saw- they're fairly cheap, and easy to use.
If you need to make inside cuts, you can drill a hole and thread the
blade through with one.

Otherwise, use the router freehand the first time, then sand or file
to the finished shape and then switch to your pattern bit to make
duplicates.

make lots of money, fast - 10K/month!! :P + 100% legal!! wrighty Home Repair 0 June 11th 06 10:19 AM
I've Decided On My New Router Table Design J T Woodworking 4 January 26th 06 03:45 PM
more money David Woodworking 1 December 7th 05 09:36 PM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Anyone _not_ like routers? Silvan Woodworking 38 October 28th 03 05:38 AM