Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default I've Decided On My New Router Table Design

I recently bought a new sized router bit from Lee Valley (damn you
Robin Lee, now that I've looked thru the catalogs, I'll be buying more
stuff soon). Rather than switch bits, I decided to make another router
table, and stick anouther router in it. I've got 5 of the little
buggers. LOL

But, I was having problems figuring just where to put the second
router table. Space problem you know. My router bit lives in the
router table, and I was going to keep that table, and just add a second.

But, then inspiration struck. Dump the present table, make another
table, this time with a cutout to accept a base screwed to the
router(s). That way I can just drop a router, with a specific bit, into
the cutout, no prob. To change bits, just pull out the router, and
drop in the router with the other bit.

The top will be two pieces of 1/2", or whatever, plywood. Bottom
piece will have a hole to accept the router. Top piece will have a
square cutout to accept the base. The base will be plywood too, with a
hole in the center for the router bit to go thru. The two top pieces
will be glued together once the holes are done.

I'd been thinking about making another table, for awhile, but
haven't, because the present one works so well. But, now this will let
me make a few changes I've been thinking about - a slightly larger table
for one, and maybe move the router more back from the front.

This is all quite clear in my mind, "Don' need no steenkin' plans".

If "any" part of this is unclear to any of you, feel free to ask
questions. NOT me! Instead, ask Tom Watson, and/or Edwin Pawlowski.
If you know their telephone numbers, feel to call collect, and talk for
awhile. It's OK to call late at night too. If not, e-mail them. And,
e-mail several times, just in case they don't get the first ones. They
don't know any more than you do, but they've been telling people to
e-mail me. Be sure to give them my regards.

JOAT
You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Sellers

"J T" wrote in message

This is all quite clear in my mind, "Don' need no steenkin'

plans".

If "any" part of this is unclear to any of you, feel free to

ask
questions.

Joat,

I was wondering - how do you choose which part of which plan ( you
know, all those other table plans you've been posting) goes with the
table you'll be building?

I mean, what if you miss getting a beginning page from one plan, and
what if you omit an ending page of another? Does that mean your
build-up will go 'round-n-'round? And possibly not get finished?

And are you sure you can make it go clockwise, like it should in the
northern hemisphere?

I mean - I mmeeeann - (think Arlo Guthrie here) - even though you
don't need plans, there's got to be some sort of 'directions' floating
around in your mind. And they had to come from somewhere, right?

Just wanting to help,
John Sellers

(and not at all sure that I should disturb Tom or Edwin)

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Sellers

"J T" wrote in message
Tue, Jan 24, 2006, 7:13pm (John Sellers) doth
burble:

even though you don't need plans,
there's got to be some sort of
directions' floating around in your mind.
And they had to come from somewhere,
right?

Sure, it's based on my old one. You didn't realize that?

Everyone
else does.

But, that's still a point of departure - you had a plan for that first
table, right? (or second, third, whichever table the 'first' one has
the distinction of being) Even if you didn't record it, you still had
a plan. I really don't see how someone works without some type of
notation. When I've tried it, I ended up wasting all sorts of wood,
not to mention the possibility of screwing up other materials
(fasteners, hardware, etc.) I put into the piece from multiple
installation. And that's over and above the test pieces I work with.
It only makes sense to me to make sure I'm maintaining the necessary
dimensions, width/length/height, if they're only scribbled on the work
piece in pencil. Builders do this all the time, even to the point of
leaving instructions for subcontractors written on the framing. (Have
to be a little more careful with the lead hardness when you're not
hiding the wood with wall sheathing.)

If I were building from a prototype (I guess that's what you're
calling the 'first' table now?), maybe it would be covered with notes.

Just curious to know how you do it without some time of "planning" -
maybe it would help me plane down my own methods. Ever store and
print those web pages you surf?

(and not at all sure that I should disturb
Tom or Edwin)

Candyass.

I've was called Candyman a couple of times, but that never stuck -
thankfully.
(Grateful Dead version, not Sammy Davis, Jr.)

Good luck with the new table,
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 7:54pm (John*Sellers) now
queryeth:

You really should be directing all your questions to Tom and Ed.
However.

But, that's still a point of departure -
you had a plan for that first table, right? snip

Actually, no. Looked at some, pricey - way too pricey, wouldn't
fit the space I had, didn't fit my needs. So, just used some scrap 2X4
chuks for a "frame", scrap plywood for the top. Glue to hold it
together, bolts to hold it to a shelf, under the bandsaw, low enough to
sit using it.
Didn't like it, don't really recall why, believe the top was too thin,
and bowed. Went to version 2 (r could be version 3, not certain), based
on the first one, thicker plywood top. Later glued a think layer on top
of that. Total cost, maybe $2 max - bolds, nuts, washers, plus screws
to hold the router to the top. Does just what I want. Just figured out
how it went as I did it. No plans, measurements taken at the time of
construction, nothing written down.

I really don't see how someone works
without some type of notation.

Sometimes I mark down some measurements. Maybe a rough sketch.
Maybe sevral sketches - sometimes it's good to look back and forth from
one idea to another. I also freely make changes to any sketch. Once in
a very great while, a reasonably detailed sketch - this is "not" often.
It basically depends on how complex the pieces will be. I will be
making some gun cases in the near future. I wrote down measurements of
the guns, so I won't have to redo them when I actually start. Except
for that, the rest of the design in in my head. They'll probably all be
made to the same length, about 42-44 inches (to be decided later),
because they'll be stored in a large storage case, that I'm still
working out. I do have a rough sketch of the legs for that, the rest is
in my head - including the approximate size - just figuring out details
- in my head.

When I've tried it, I ended up wasting
all sorts of wood, snip

Now you know why you never throw away any leftover pieces of wood.
Prototypes.

If I were building from a prototype (I
guess that's what you're calling the
'first' table now?), maybe it would be
covered with notes.

No, ikt's the "first" one. I make masters to rout out pieces.
They are covered with notes written with magic marker - cut sizes, etc.,
any info I think I will need later - that way I don't have to remember
them, and they aren't written down in a notebook I can't find when I
need it.

Just curious to know how you do it
without some time of "planning" -
maybe it would help me plane down my
own methods.

I do a LOT of web surfing, looking for inspiration - that's where
my plans posts come from. I save links up the wazoo, even if it's only
vaguely related to what I'm after. When I'm ready to proceed, go thru
what I've saved, dump what won't work for me, maybe print out a few
specific items. Thien I think about what I want to do, and how to do
it. Take some measurements - or just look at a tape measure to see just
how long X many of inches are I think about it. Then I think about it.
Then think some more. I have been told that a lot of people can't do
this, but I can pretty much visualize what I want to do. Personally, I
think that just about anyone could do this, if they just tried. So,
that's pretty much how "I" do it. Once I get my garage up, I'll start
on a vehicle project. I haven't taken measurement one for it, but know
just how it'll go, because I've got it all thought out. I'll measure as
I'm doing. No prob.

Ever store and print those web pages
you surf?

Sure. It's usually called the archives.
For the few I'm personally interested in, I post a link to them on my
web page.

I've was called Candyman snip

Not by me.