Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default I've Decided On My New Router Table Design

Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 7:54pm (John*Sellers) now
queryeth:

You really should be directing all your questions to Tom and Ed.
However.

But, that's still a point of departure -
you had a plan for that first table, right? snip

Actually, no. Looked at some, pricey - way too pricey, wouldn't
fit the space I had, didn't fit my needs. So, just used some scrap 2X4
chuks for a "frame", scrap plywood for the top. Glue to hold it
together, bolts to hold it to a shelf, under the bandsaw, low enough to
sit using it.
Didn't like it, don't really recall why, believe the top was too thin,
and bowed. Went to version 2 (r could be version 3, not certain), based
on the first one, thicker plywood top. Later glued a think layer on top
of that. Total cost, maybe $2 max - bolds, nuts, washers, plus screws
to hold the router to the top. Does just what I want. Just figured out
how it went as I did it. No plans, measurements taken at the time of
construction, nothing written down.

I really don't see how someone works
without some type of notation.

Sometimes I mark down some measurements. Maybe a rough sketch.
Maybe sevral sketches - sometimes it's good to look back and forth from
one idea to another. I also freely make changes to any sketch. Once in
a very great while, a reasonably detailed sketch - this is "not" often.
It basically depends on how complex the pieces will be. I will be
making some gun cases in the near future. I wrote down measurements of
the guns, so I won't have to redo them when I actually start. Except
for that, the rest of the design in in my head. They'll probably all be
made to the same length, about 42-44 inches (to be decided later),
because they'll be stored in a large storage case, that I'm still
working out. I do have a rough sketch of the legs for that, the rest is
in my head - including the approximate size - just figuring out details
- in my head.

When I've tried it, I ended up wasting
all sorts of wood, snip

Now you know why you never throw away any leftover pieces of wood.
Prototypes.

If I were building from a prototype (I
guess that's what you're calling the
'first' table now?), maybe it would be
covered with notes.

No, ikt's the "first" one. I make masters to rout out pieces.
They are covered with notes written with magic marker - cut sizes, etc.,
any info I think I will need later - that way I don't have to remember
them, and they aren't written down in a notebook I can't find when I
need it.

Just curious to know how you do it
without some time of "planning" -
maybe it would help me plane down my
own methods.

I do a LOT of web surfing, looking for inspiration - that's where
my plans posts come from. I save links up the wazoo, even if it's only
vaguely related to what I'm after. When I'm ready to proceed, go thru
what I've saved, dump what won't work for me, maybe print out a few
specific items. Thien I think about what I want to do, and how to do
it. Take some measurements - or just look at a tape measure to see just
how long X many of inches are I think about it. Then I think about it.
Then think some more. I have been told that a lot of people can't do
this, but I can pretty much visualize what I want to do. Personally, I
think that just about anyone could do this, if they just tried. So,
that's pretty much how "I" do it. Once I get my garage up, I'll start
on a vehicle project. I haven't taken measurement one for it, but know
just how it'll go, because I've got it all thought out. I'll measure as
I'm doing. No prob.

Ever store and print those web pages
you surf?

Sure. It's usually called the archives.
For the few I'm personally interested in, I post a link to them on my
web page.

I've was called Candyman snip

Not by me.

JOAT
You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.