Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Relatively new PC stuff

Is it me or has Porter Cable shifted in to the mode of offering tools that
are exceedingly large?

Their relatively new DT jig is enormous, requires about 4' of work bench to
set up and use and is pretty darn deep and tall. Is this what woodworkers
want?

Also relatively new is their new Pocket Hole jig. Now that seems to be a
tool developed to make drilling a simple pocket hole into a complicated
affair. Was the Kreg jig design simply not complicated enough? Does a
pocket hole jig need to weigh 8 pounds to work well?
Will we one day in the near future see a picture of the jig at a link,
posted by Rob H, titled "What Is It, Set xxx"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 8:42*am, "Leon" wrote:
Is it me or has Porter Cable shifted in to the mode of offering tools that
are exceedingly large?

Their relatively new DT jig is enormous, requires about 4' of work bench to
set up and use and is pretty darn deep and tall. *Is this what woodworkers
want?

Also relatively new is their new Pocket Hole jig. *Now that seems to be a
tool developed to make drilling a simple pocket hole into a complicated
affair. *Was the Kreg jig design simply not complicated enough? *Does a
pocket hole jig need to weigh 8 pounds to work well?
Will we one day in the near future see a picture of the jig at a link,
posted by Rob H, titled "What Is It, Set xxx"?

The PC 550 was such a beast. An awful and dangerous design. Now we use
a Kreg electric Foreman. (Electric, as opposed to the air-powered one
which needs a lot more air than most job-sites have on hand.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gee I was thinking that the PC line isn't what it once was.
It used to represent top quality tools.
Now I view it as getting to the consumer end.
I think if you look at the Dewalt mid size router comparison to pc as
the gauge of what will come. I think they have made a few too many
compromises to the line.

On 3/8/2011 8:42 AM, Leon wrote:
Is it me or has Porter Cable shifted in to the mode of offering tools that
are exceedingly large?

Their relatively new DT jig is enormous, requires about 4' of work bench to
set up and use and is pretty darn deep and tall. Is this what woodworkers
want?

Also relatively new is their new Pocket Hole jig. Now that seems to be a
tool developed to make drilling a simple pocket hole into a complicated
affair. Was the Kreg jig design simply not complicated enough? Does a
pocket hole jig need to weigh 8 pounds to work well?
Will we one day in the near future see a picture of the jig at a link,
posted by Rob H, titled "What Is It, Set xxx"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am thinking that they are going to move into the selling their
products by the pound. Or maybe based on cubic inches. Imagine the
huge blow molded cases we will see from them in the coming years. You
may have to have a pickup at your disposal to buy a router!

Too many folks mistake large cumbersome tools as being powerful and
"professional grade", ready to take on any project. Kind of the "Tim
Taylor" effect.

I believe that PC is moving towards the consumer market, not only
based on their designs, but the feedback I am hearing on their quality
(or lack thereof).

My last PC tool was their biscuit machine that has served for about 15
years now, and haven't seen anything interesting in years.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:49:35 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I am thinking that they are going to move into the selling their
products by the pound. Or maybe based on cubic inches. Imagine the
huge blow molded cases we will see from them in the coming years. You
may have to have a pickup at your disposal to buy a router!

Too many folks mistake large cumbersome tools as being powerful and
"professional grade", ready to take on any project. Kind of the "Tim
Taylor" effect.

I kinda like the "aircraft carrier" OmniJigs. It'll be a while before I buy a
dovetail jig but the 16" model is on my list.

I believe that PC is moving towards the consumer market, not only
based on their designs, but the feedback I am hearing on their quality
(or lack thereof).

PC seems to be schizophrenic. The 7518 is still a pretty decent router. A lot
of their other tools rot now, though.

My last PC tool was their biscuit machine that has served for about 15
years now, and haven't seen anything interesting in years.

I have one of their biscuit machines, too. I'm not impressed, but it may be
that I'm not impressed with the whole idea.

pen stuff Ross Hebeisen Woodturning 4 June 28th 10 03:35 AM
pen stuff Ross Hebeisen Woodturning 2 April 24th 10 09:20 AM
FS in Alachua/Gainesville FL: huge volume shop stuff, tools supplieshardwares, other "guy stuff", 1, some, or all - PICKUP preferred dave Woodworking 0 January 30th 07 04:31 PM
FS - Stuff in MA Al A. Metalworking 0 May 21st 06 11:50 PM
What was that stuff? SteveB Metalworking 6 July 23rd 05 07:14 PM