J. Clarke

Default Solid Surface supplier ????????????????????

RB wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2004 12:16:12 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

I note that neither of you has given any indication that solvent
cementing using methylene chloride and Corian dust will be
unsatisfactory in any
manner whatsoever. Do you have any reason to believe that it will?

The problem that I'm having with this is that you are fixating on the
chemistry, to the exclusion of other considerations.

That's because the chemistry is supposedly available only from DuPont.
The rest one can figure out one way or another.

Given a drop of their magic elixir it would be an easy job to determine
what their seam kit holds. FTIR Mass Spectroscopy and a few other
analytical tools will tell all.

Yup. And any way you cut it there's unlikely to be anything at all special
about it. But figuring it out requires tools that the average woodworker
doesn't have. Be nice if someone with access to the right facilities _did_
get hold of a sample and post the analysis somewhere.

RB

What about the selection of the sheets for color matching?

What about the proper type and preparation of the substrate?

What about the choice of choice of acceptable methods to cut the
sheets?

What about the proper tolerances for straightness and the gap between
joined sheets?

What about the proper clamping pressure at the seam?

What about how much to overfill the seam and what techniques are best
to deal with that?

What about the proper radius that's allowed in the cutouts?

In areas where cutouts are for stovetops, there is a specific 3M tape
that is used as a backer at the seam - what kind is it?

What about the mixing time of the seam kit? Should you knead by hand,
or put the tube in the clamp on you half-sheet sander, and run the
sander for how long?

Who's got a seam kit? And you mean that it's not labelled?

Speaking of sanders, what is the best type to use and what grits
should you start with?

What type of abrasive is best?

If you want to bring it up to a gloss, what grits and compounds are
used to do this?

The above is certainly not an exhaustive listing - merely a friendly
warning.

Substitute "Jarrah" or "Ipe" for "Corian" in the above and do any of the
questions change? Do you know the answers to all of them? Does that
mean that we should not try to make things out of Jarrah or Ipe?

I'm sorry, but the fact that one is going to have to do some
experimentation to back into the information that duPont _could_ make
available at no cost to themselves, does not make solid surface
impossible for anybody but those who have been trained by DuPont to work
with, it just means that one has to devote the same effort to learning
its properties that one does to learning the properties of any unfamiliar
material.

And what is the cost of a screwed up countertop bond? It's just
something
to fix. It's not like the world ends or anything.

Now, if you really cared about helping people instead of protecting us
from ourselves then you might provide the benefit of your vast training
and experience.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

jev wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:19:43 GMT, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

SNIP

Not as single crystals. However, as quartz rock, it is available:
http://www.cambriausa.com/consumer/ This was the only link I have found
thus far that uses solid stone vs. ground up and reformulated stone.

SNIP

IT isn't slabs of solid quartz. From their website:

"Is CAMBRIA made or manufactured in a plant?

The CAMBRIA facility produces natural quartz into slabs. We take pure
natural quartz mined out of the earth and combine it with a small
amount of pigment and resin to create a slab of uncommon beauty and
strength. This is done in our facility in LeSueur, Minnesota, the only
one of its kind in the United States. By recombining the quartz in our
facility, we are able to recreate the slabs to make them completely
non-porous."

Gawd, what does _that_ mean? Anybody know the patent number on the process
or device?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Tom Watson

On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:23:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In other words being asked to question your assumptions makes you
uncomfortable?

clue token: Corian is ±1/3 acrylic resin (also known as PolyMethyl
MethAcrylate) and ±2/3 natural minerals.

The main ingredient is the mineral
Aluminum TriHydrate (ATH) derived
from bauxite, an ore from which
aluminum is extracted.

(save your clue tokens. get the whole set. trade them with friends.
if you should ever gather up enough to actually buy a clue - call
somebody and tell them. i'll bet they will be excited - and
surprised.)

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Unisaw A100

J. Clarke wrote:
Coming from someone who is arguing engineering on the basis of religious
faith (There is only One Good, Right, and True DuPont Way and all other
paths lead to damnation) that's a laugh.

Yah ya got me there on that one Skippy. What I really
wanted to say/should have said is, the seam kits from DuPont
work. Now, I'm sure what it is you have going at your end
would work for you but why would I ever want to risk
warrantee just because you told me so? You know what I
mean?

In other words, I'll stay with the tried and true onna
'count of I know it works. You on the other hand are here
without credentials and as far as I know you're as brain
dead, or as full of ****, as guys like Woody when he's
giving out 'lektrikal advice (advise in wreckspeak).

UA100, who is really only hanging onto this one for sport,
no really, I am...
J. Clarke

wrote:

In other words being asked to question your assumptions makes you
uncomfortable?

clue token: Corian is ±1/3 acrylic resin (also known as PolyMethyl
MethAcrylate) and ±2/3 natural minerals.

The main ingredient is the mineral
Aluminum TriHydrate (ATH) derived
from bauxite, an ore from which
aluminum is extracted.

(save your clue tokens. get the whole set. trade them with friends.
if you should ever gather up enough to actually buy a clue - call
somebody and tell them. i'll bet they will be excited - and
surprised.)

Now, what do you believe the relevance of this information to be?

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Tom Watson

On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:11:05 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

clue token: Corian is ±1/3 acrylic resin (also known as PolyMethyl
MethAcrylate) and ±2/3 natural minerals.

Now, what do you believe the relevance of this information to be?

If you do not understand the relevance of the above information to
your question about why joining an acrylic based product like Corian
is different than joining acrylic aquaria, et al - then I was correct
in my assumption that I own small appliances that are smarter than you
are.

watson-who is kinda looking forward to dickhead trying out his meth
chloride idea

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
J. Clarke

Reread the thread and identify the post in which anyone suggested that
someone with access to the seam kit not use it.

Unisaw A100 wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Coming from someone who is arguing engineering on the basis of religious
faith (There is only One Good, Right, and True DuPont Way and all other
paths lead to damnation) that's a laugh.

Yah ya got me there on that one Skippy.

Good of you to admit it to Skippy, whoever or whatever Skippy might be. But
what makes you believe that this "Skippy" gives a damn?

What I really
wanted to say/should have said is, the seam kits from DuPont
work.

Who has disputed this? The issue is not their performance but their
availability.

Now, I'm sure what it is you have going at your end
would work for you but why would I ever want to risk
warrantee just because you told me so?

Who has told you to "risk warrantee"?

You know what I mean?

If you had paid attention to what _I_ meant this discussion would not have
taken place, but you chose to ignore the points being raised and instead
get all threatened and defensive.

There are, since this point has clearly gone right by you, people in the
world who can get Corian but can't get the seam kit, and who for whatever
reason want to bond the stuff. Since they aren't certified installers
there is no warrantee even if they use the seam kit but they may not care
about that any more than they care that there is no warrantee on a piece of
pine. My comments were addressed at the needs of this group, who cannot
get your seam kit and canot get your warrantee and to whom both are thus
irrelevant.

Now, do you have anything _constructive_ to say to this group other than
"don't do it because it's not the DuPont Way"?

In other words, I'll stay with the tried and true onna
'count of I know it works.

This is certainly a reasonable course of action.

You on the other hand are here
without credentials and as far as I know you're as brain
dead, or as full of ****, as guys like Woody when he's
giving out 'lektrikal advice (advise in wreckspeak).

You are also here without "credentials" (and don't bother to try to post
them unless you can (a) prove that they are valid and (b) prove that you
are the person to whom they were issued) and give every appearance of being
insuffiiciently literate to figure out that a discussion of alternatives to
the seam kit for those who cannot get the seam kit is not advocacy of
abandonment of the seam kit by those who have access to it.

However, now I understand--you must be new to USENET--nobody gives a damn
about your "credentials" if you can't defend your argument. And so far the
only defense you have given of your argument is that "it's not the DuPont
Way".

UA100, who is really only hanging onto this one for sport,
no really, I am...

Sure you are.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

clue token: Corian is ±1/3 acrylic resin (also known as PolyMethyl
MethAcrylate) and ±2/3 natural minerals.

Now, what do you believe the relevance of this information to be?

If you do not understand the relevance of the above information to
your question about why joining an acrylic based product like Corian
is different than joining acrylic aquaria, et al - then I was correct
in my assumption that I own small appliances that are smarter than you
are.

watson-who is kinda looking forward to dickhead trying out his meth
chloride idea

I see. So you really don't have a clue what the relevance of your
observation might be and so you attempt to mask that ignorance with name
calling. Care to try again?

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Swingman

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Now, what do you believe the relevance of this information to be?

watson-who is kinda looking forward to dickhead trying out his meth
chloride idea

Could almost be WWPecker in troll drag, who has improved his vocabulary only
to exceed his intelligence.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Mark & Juanita

On 30 May 2004 23:26:20 -0700, (Gary DeWitt) wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in message ws.com...
On Sun, 30 May 2004 16:50:49 -0600, Alan Bierbaum
wrote:

.... snip
If you read the cited articles; you will notice that they talk of
"engineered stone" - this is not a natural product; it is fabricated
by some type of glue and stone and quartz particles.

Alan Bierbaum

Yep, you're right. After more careful inspection, it appears that this
is also engineered material. Funny thing, you really have to dig to find
that, looking at the first parts of their web pages, you get quotes such
as, "CAMBRIA is pure natural Quartz stone mined out of the earth. It has
the look and feel of granite with superior performance." That's from the
Product Info page, From the how we compare page, in the table it lists
both Cambria and Granite as "Natural Stone". Yeah, "natural" as in ground
up with epoxy binders -- just like MDF is "natural wood". Kind of
misleading.

Thanks for helping set me straight -- looks like granite is still the top
of choice if one desires natural stone that is less porous than marble.

I've been researching counter top materials for some time. Info I have
is that ALL the quartz products are made by the same process, on the
same patented Italian made machines. Dupont has one in Canada, they
charge more for their product. Silestone and Cesar Stone, perhaps
others by now, are the same thing. One product brochure, Silestone I
believe, stated there is 90% Quartz and 10% binder material in the
product, making it harder and less porous than granite. Needs no
sealer, will not stain. Can't be scratched with a knife. MAY burn
under high enough temp., not sure what that is. This will be my choice
when I get around to our kitchen, expecting it to outlast me!

One thing that Cambria states is that they manufacture their product in
Minnesota (if that makes a difference to you). [Still not comfortable with
their claims that Cambria is "Natural Stone" though]

Unisaw A100

Tom Watson wrote:
If you do not understand the relevance of the above information to
your question about why joining an acrylic based product like Corian
is different than joining acrylic aquaria, et al - then I was correct
in my assumption that I own small appliances that are smarter than you
are.

Describe how small.

UA100
Tom Watson

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:49:00 -0500, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
If you do not understand the relevance of the above information to
your question about why joining an acrylic based product like Corian
is different than joining acrylic aquaria, et al - then I was correct
in my assumption that I own small appliances that are smarter than you
are.

Describe how small.

UA100

I'm not sure about the 'lectric pencil sharpener but he wouldn't win a
battle of wits with anything from the microwave on up.

watson-who thinks it's funny that mr. clarke posted for the first
time on the Wreck, on April Fools Day of 2004.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
J. Clarke

wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
If you do not understand the relevance of the above information to
your question about why joining an acrylic based product like Corian
is different than joining acrylic aquaria, et al - then I was correct
in my assumption that I own small appliances that are smarter than you
are.

Describe how small.

UA100

I'm not sure about the 'lectric pencil sharpener but he wouldn't win a
battle of wits with anything from the microwave on up.

watson-who thinks it's funny that mr. clarke posted for the first
time on the Wreck, on April Fools Day of 2004.

Now you go back through posting histories instead of coming up with some
kind of semi-plausible logic to support your argument.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Unisaw A100

J. Clarke wrote:
However, now I understand--you must be new to USENET--

Don't tell me you're one of those guys who's still ****ed
that the Internet got turned over to the common folk. How
long are you guys going to go on about this?

And so far the only defense you have given of your argument
is that "it's not the DuPont Way".

Well, it is.

UA100
Unisaw A100

watson-who thinks it's funny that mr. clarke posted for the first
time on the Wreck, on April Fools Day of 2004.

Yo Tom, Is he the guy that slammed me a couple/few threads
ago when I called the guy a liar?

UA100, who's thinking it's a cornspiracy...

Tom Watson

On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:41:11 -0500, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Yo Tom, Is he the guy that slammed me a couple/few threads
ago when I called the guy a liar?

UA100, who's thinking it's a cornspiracy...

Dunno, it's hard to keep track of 'em.

watson-who meant both threads and liars and finds both to be
thoroughly cornfused.

btw-we've gotten back to 'corn' - is this anythng like the 'six
degrees of kevin bacon'? ya know, like mebbe the six degrees of
hwmnbn?

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Tom Watson wrote:

It's really a two part epoxy mixture that has to be mixed before
application and has to fill the entire seam - top to bottom and front
to back - once the joint is closed up.

Not quite. From http://www.parksite.com/productgroup.../msds_3_42.pdf

"The adhesive used to bond sheets of Corian® during fabrication contains
methylmethacrylate, or MMA for short."

MMA is also a two-part mix, but it's not epoxy.
Swingman

wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:

It's really a two part epoxy mixture that has to be mixed before
application and has to fill the entire seam - top to bottom and front
to back - once the joint is closed up.

Not quite. From http://www.parksite.com/productgroup.../msds_3_42.pdf

"The adhesive used to bond sheets of Corian® during fabrication

contains
methylmethacrylate, or MMA for short."

MMA is also a two-part mix, but it's not epoxy.

Bull**** ... You can argue semantics/split hairs all day long, but MMA fits
the accepted definition of "expoxy" as commonly used in the building and
cabinet trades.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/epoxy
http://www.epoxysystems.com/mmahom.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Bay Area Dave

He got you GOOD on that last post of his, Keeter. Boy do
you look STOOPID now! Go J.C! (I was referring to the
warranty issue, in case you've finally lost those last few
thousand brain cells you've been hanging onto for god knows
what useful purpose).

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

However, now I understand--you must be new to USENET--

Don't tell me you're one of those guys who's still ****ed
that the Internet got turned over to the common folk. How
long are you guys going to go on about this?

And so far the only defense you have given of your argument
is that "it's not the DuPont Way".

Well, it is.

UA100

J. Clarke

Unisaw A100 wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
However, now I understand--you must be new to USENET--

Don't tell me you're one of those guys who's still ****ed
that the Internet got turned over to the common folk.

Yup, newcomer going all defensive when he finds out that he's not going to
get away with what worked in the small universe he used to inhabit.

How long are you guys going to go on about this?

About what? Expecting people to defend their arguments with reason and
logic rather than simply asserting over and over again "you're wrong" and
when that doesn't work following up with name calling?

And so far the only defense you have given of your argument
is that "it's not the DuPont Way".

Well, it is.

So what?

UA100

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Tom Watson

On 31 May 2004 12:01:16 -0700,
) wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

It's really a two part epoxy mixture that has to be mixed before
application and has to fill the entire seam - top to bottom and front
to back - once the joint is closed up.

Not quite. From
http://www.parksite.com/productgroup.../msds_3_42.pdf

"The adhesive used to bond sheets of Corian® during fabrication contains
methylmethacrylate, or MMA for short."

MMA is also a two-part mix, but it's not epoxy.

"What Is Methyl Methacrylate?
MMA stands for Methylmethacrylate. It is a resin which is cured with a
small amount of peroxide. MMA can be soft (like contact lenses) or
hard (like Plexi Glass).

Why Is Methyl Methacrylate Better than Conventional Epoxies?
With MMA you are ready for the next step in less than one hour! This
means jobs can be completed in less time than ever before possible
with conventional epoxies."

http://www.florock.net/ulfcar/

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Tom Watson

On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:33:03 GMT, hwmnbn outgassed:

Who cut the cheese?

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
J. Clarke

Tom Watson wrote:

On 31 May 2004 12:01:16 -0700,
) wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

It's really a two part epoxy mixture that has to be mixed before
application and has to fill the entire seam - top to bottom and front
to back - once the joint is closed up.

Not quite. From
http://www.parksite.com/productgroup.../msds_3_42.pdf

"The adhesive used to bond sheets of Corian® during fabrication
contains methylmethacrylate, or MMA for short."

MMA is also a two-part mix, but it's not epoxy.

"What Is Methyl Methacrylate?
MMA stands for Methylmethacrylate. It is a resin which is cured with a
small amount of peroxide. MMA can be soft (like contact lenses) or
hard (like Plexi Glass).

Why Is Methyl Methacrylate Better than Conventional Epoxies?
With MMA you are ready for the next step in less than one hour! This
means jobs can be completed in less time than ever before possible
with conventional epoxies."

Now, what point do you think you're making here? Are you suggesting that
something being compared to "conventional epoxies" implies that it is an
"unconventional epoxy"? Or are you agreeing that it's not an epoxy? Or
what?

Because it's not an epoxy any way you cut it.
http://www.netcomposites.com/education.asp?sequence=12 gives a brief
rundown on the chemical structure of epoxies. Compare that with
http://chemistry.about.com/library/graphics/blmma.htm for methyl
methacrylate.

http://www.florock.net/ulfcar/

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Unisaw A100

J. Clarke wrote:
So what?

Says you!

UA100

Unisaw A100

J. Clarke wrote:
I find myself wondering what's so important about the glue.
Solvent-cementing of acrylic is hardly any deep dark secret, and I
understand that working the stuff makes plenty of dust for filler--if it
doesn't, one can always take a belt sander to a scrap.

It's not the seam kits that are some great dark secret but
what people will do with them if they could get them and
that's pretty much make and install Corian improperly thus
causing DuPont more headaches than they really care to
deal with. As it's set up they can control quality by
making sure everyone who uses it has been properly
trained.

UA100
J. Clarke

Unisaw A100 wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
So what?

Says you!

So you're saying that your statement was of no real relevance? Silly me,
and I thought that you had a point of some kind to make.

UA100

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Tom Watson

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:32:10 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

....endlessly...

You do it your way.

Let us know how you make out.

watson goes about scraping the last of the dog**** off his shoe and
wanders into the house to talk with normal people, more or less.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
J. Clarke

Unisaw A100 wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
I find myself wondering what's so important about the glue.
Solvent-cementing of acrylic is hardly any deep dark secret, and I
understand that working the stuff makes plenty of dust for filler--if it
doesn't, one can always take a belt sander to a scrap.

It's not the seam kits that are some great dark secret but
what people will do with them if they could get them and
that's pretty much make and install Corian improperly thus
causing DuPont more headaches than they really care to
deal with. As it's set up they can control quality by
making sure everyone who uses it has been properly
trained.

UA100

Is there an echo in here?

On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:20:58 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:

It's really a two part epoxy mixture that has to be mixed before
application and has to fill the entire seam - top to bottom and front
to back - once the joint is closed up.

Not quite. From http://www.parksite.com/productgroup.../msds_3_42.pdf

"The adhesive used to bond sheets of Corian® during fabrication

contains
methylmethacrylate, or MMA for short."

MMA is also a two-part mix, but it's not epoxy.

Bull**** ... You can argue semantics/split hairs all day long, but MMA fits
the accepted definition of "expoxy" as commonly used in the building and
cabinet trades.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/epoxy

nontechnical source, and just plain wrong.

http://www.epoxysystems.com/mmahom.htm

nowhere on that page does it say that MMA is epoxy.

Epoxy is not a generic term for 2 part glues.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:40:57 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

.....snip.....

[...]

wow. J. Clarke sure knows how to put his foot in it, eh?
Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:58:44 -0700, bridger wrote:

wow. J. Clarke sure knows how to put his foot in it, eh?

JCIAFT - disappeared from my reader shortly after he first showed up and
kicked that freshly swept pile of sawdust all over the place.

-Doug

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Unisaw A100

J. Clarke wrote:
Is there an echo in here?

Just trying to see what it is I said to sent you into such a
sphincter puckering tail spin.

Care to comment on which of the words it is that set you
off?

UA100
Swingman

wrote in message

Bull**** ... You can argue semantics/split hairs all day long, but MMA

fits
the accepted definition of "expoxy" as commonly used in the building and
cabinet trades.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/epoxy

nontechnical source, and just plain wrong.

As I said, you can argue semantics and and split hairs, but common usage, as
TW use clearly indicated, was the point.

http://www.epoxysystems.com/mmahom.htm

nowhere on that page does it say that MMA is epoxy.

....and conversely, no where does it say it is not, so if your argument is
with common usage of the term, you're basically ****ing in the wind.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:55:24 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

wrote in message

Bull**** ... You can argue semantics/split hairs all day long, but MMA

fits
the accepted definition of "expoxy" as commonly used in the building and
cabinet trades.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/epoxy

nontechnical source, and just plain wrong.

As I said, you can argue semantics and and split hairs, but common usage, as
TW use clearly indicated, was the point.

http://www.epoxysystems.com/mmahom.htm

nowhere on that page does it say that MMA is epoxy.

...and conversely, no where does it say it is not, so if your argument is
with common usage of the term, you're basically ****ing in the wind.

sure, and it's common usage to call my pickup truck a maserati too.

ya know, I've been in the trades for decades and I've never once heard
someone call acryllic glue epoxy.

Greg Millen

Can you spell "S o c k p u p p e t "? Who's not getting his share of
attention?

--
Greg

"Caution - quoting history's great people may stir feelings of inadequacy in
others."

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
watson-who thinks it's funny that mr. clarke posted for the first
time on the Wreck, on April Fools Day of 2004.

Yo Tom, Is he the guy that slammed me a couple/few threads
ago when I called the guy a liar?

UA100, who's thinking it's a cornspiracy...

Norman D. Crow

Default Solid Surface supplier ???????????????????? Now gone OT

Now, now Tom. The weekend at the shore was supposed to relax and calm you.
Here you come back and let Mr. Apr. 1st get you all fired up again. Good
idea - - go inside, get a cold one, or 2, or 3, take some of JOAT's dried
frog pills and settle back down. Maybe even warp your legs into the "lotus"
position(if your knees will take it) and get into your mantra -
"ooommmmmmmmmmm". If the yoga & mantra won't work, then just say "the hell
with it" and sprawl out in the recliner!

We had a great time down in the Amish country. Ate too much, bought too
much, ate too much, spent too much time in the outlet malls, ate too much.
Did I mention we ate too much? This was her(our?) annual bash. Mother's Day,
her birthday, and our anniversary all fall in a 3-4 week period, so she gets
one major "outing" to cover all three. Fri. was our 44th anniversary.
Kay even found a special T-shirt for the wRECk in a "Big Dog" store, picture
forthcoming on abpw in a couple days. She even managed to score a quilt from
me, which shall remain un-priced in public, and we came back by way of
Williamsport, hoping "big green" would be open, as the quid pro quo for the
quilt is a new G0555, but they were closed. Oh well, another week or two and
I make a Saturday run!

--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

wrote:

...endlessly...

You do it your way.

Let us know how you make out.

watson goes about scraping the last of the dog**** off his shoe and
wanders into the house to talk with normal people, more or less.

Swingman

wrote in message

sure, and it's common usage to call my pickup truck a maserati too.

Yeah, but you will call a groove a dado.

ya know, I've been in the trades for decades and I've never once heard
someone call acryllic glue epoxy.

Just don't tell the Mexican Corian installer that's not "epoxy" he's mixing
.... he'll laugh your ass off the job site.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

RB

I see nothing in the two links you provided that support your very
incorrect assertion that MMA is an epoxy. There is little similarity
between MMA and epoxy.

RB

Swingman wrote:
wrote in message

Tom Watson wrote:

It's really a two part epoxy mixture that has to be mixed before
application and has to fill the entire seam - top to bottom and front
to back - once the joint is closed up.

Not quite. From http://www.parksite.com/productgroup.../msds_3_42.pdf

"The adhesive used to bond sheets of Corian® during fabrication

contains

methylmethacrylate, or MMA for short."

MMA is also a two-part mix, but it's not epoxy.

Bull**** ... You can argue semantics/split hairs all day long, but MMA fits
the accepted definition of "expoxy" as commonly used in the building and
cabinet trades.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/epoxy
http://www.epoxysystems.com/mmahom.htm

RB

J. Clarke wrote:
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Meaningless statement. Says you have no experience, no test results, no
theory, nothing to suggest that there might be a problem, all that you
know is that DuPont told you one way to do a job and so to your way of
thinking that is the only possible way to do it.

Wow! How do you breath with your pants so bunched up J.?

Coming from someone who is arguing engineering on the basis of religious
faith (There is only One Good, Right, and True DuPont Way and all other
paths lead to damnation) that's a laugh.

And if you buy that you probably believe that there is no coincidence
between the patents on R-12 running out and the "discovery" that it
contributed to "global warming." We just finished Memorial Day weekend
and lit fires all three nights because it was CCCCold. Global warming???

RB

UA100