Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Printing/stamping on wood - in color.

So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. IAE, thanks.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

?
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. IAE, thanks.
JP

I cannot imagine an inked metal stamp that could make an indent and not
squeeze out the ink. I've seen thing stamped and t hen silk screened
though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
?
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to
try
to do a similar type thing with color. What I'm thinking is some
sort
of metal spervious and be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving
it
slightly indented. I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter
and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. Does anyone know of
maker of stamps that are made for this? I'm not even sure I'm
using
the right terminology. IAE, thanks.
JP

I cannot imagine an inked metal stamp that could make an indent and
not squeeze out the ink. I've seen thing stamped and t hen silk
screened though.

I'm following the trail of reasoning by imagination. But this seems
possible
to me, depending on the composition of the metal stamp, the
dye/ink/pigment
used, along with the softness and absorptivity/porosity of the wood.
Googling
with a mix of terms didn't win any prize. The people apt to certainly
know
are in the packaging industry.

One simple way
to avoid using a stamp as a color applicator is to stamp your logo,
paint the area, sand the surface and--shazam, the color is only in the
recesses. That's a dead simple method.

Turning to other distinctive ideas within reach and, it seems within
the
scope of your intent, polymer resin, sealing wax or other colored
compounds can be poured or pushed into cut, carved or stamped designs
with very entertaining result. Obviously, more effort is involved. But
the
processes can be streamlined to a production clip if you fancy the end
attained.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:33:59 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique
wrote:

So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. IAE, thanks.
JP

Try "stamping press", Jay. Metalworking tool modified for wood.
For pine, a drill press would probably do after you make the die.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 8:33*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. *What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. *I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. *Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? *I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. *IAE, thanks.
JP

The secret, I think, would be to etch the face of the stamp, so it
would pick up the ink. Something along the lines of copper-plate
etching. Haven't tried it, but that's what I'd try.
Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 9:33*pm, Jay Pique wrote:

So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. *What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. *I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. *Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? *I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. *IAE, thanks.

I don't think you'll find a one step process for indenting and
applying color(s). If it's only one color, then it's just paint in an
indent, no?

What's your thinking on using color? It adds a lot of complexity and
unless the 'label' was pretty big the odds of it coming out messy and/
or not worth the effort are pretty high.

I believe Stickley changed from branded furniture to metal tags
attached with brads. If you're looking for permanence, attach the
brass tag with brass screws and strip the heads. It'll give it that
professional look.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. IAE, thanks.
JP

I cannot imagine an inked metal stamp that could make an indent and not
squeeze out the ink. I've seen thing stamped and t hen silk screened
though.

It would work fine. Sqeezing out the ink is like sqeezing out glue. Doesn't
happen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. *What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. *I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. *Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? *I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. *IAE, thanks.
JP

I cannot imagine an inked metal stamp that could make an indent and not
squeeze out the ink. *I've seen thing stamped and t hen silk screened
though.

It would work fine. Sqeezing out the ink is like sqeezing out glue. Doesn't
happen.

Thanks for the replies. This is more of a "I'd like to try" than a
"this must be done by Friday" kinda thing. My guess is that the
rather large and complex stamp would be quite expensive, not to
mention the mechanism to press and indent the surface. I was thinking
something like a book press with a stamp on it that I could roll with
ink or press into a large ink pad prior to pressing the wood. I
dunno...
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. IAE, thanks.
JP

JP,
Hot stamping is used on a variety of materials - here's a Wiki article on
it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_stamping
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Kerry Montgomery" wrote in message
m...

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. IAE, thanks.
JP

JP,
Hot stamping is used on a variety of materials - here's a Wiki article on
it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_stamping
Kerry

You could go with hot stamping, even hot stamping with foil colors, but you
could only use one color, more than one would be difficult to keep in
register. If this is a limited number of items try the material they make to
transfer to Tee shirts, printed in ink jet and color laser printers, it is
transferred by heat and pressure. An iron could do it, and you would have a
full color label printed on the wood surface which could be varnished
overtop.