Posted to rec.woodworking
StL.Ed StL.Ed is offline

Default Printing/stamping on wood - in color.

On Feb 19, 8:33*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. *What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. *I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. *Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? *I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. *IAE, thanks.
JP

The secret, I think, would be to etch the face of the stamp, so it
would pick up the ink. Something along the lines of copper-plate
etching. Haven't tried it, but that's what I'd try.
Ed