Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Printing/stamping on wood - in color.

On Feb 19, 9:33*pm, Jay Pique wrote:

So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try
to do a similar type thing with color. *What I'm thinking is some sort
of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood, leaving it
slightly indented. *I've seen antique boxes for sugar and butter and
stuff that look like this was how it was done. *Does anyone know of a
maker of stamps that are made for this? *I'm not even sure I'm using
the right terminology. *IAE, thanks.

I don't think you'll find a one step process for indenting and
applying color(s). If it's only one color, then it's just paint in an
indent, no?

What's your thinking on using color? It adds a lot of complexity and
unless the 'label' was pretty big the odds of it coming out messy and/
or not worth the effort are pretty high.

I believe Stickley changed from branded furniture to metal tags
attached with brads. If you're looking for permanence, attach the
brass tag with brass screws and strip the heads. It'll give it that
professional look.