Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Haar

Default Printing on wood REVISITED.

Hi,
A week or so ago, someone asked about an oversized inkjet printer for
wood. I just came across this laser printer/etcher that works on almost
material, and thought it might be of some interest.

Cheers,
Roger Haar
Tucson
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Roger Haar" wrote

A week or so ago, someone asked about an oversized inkjet printer for
wood. I just came across this laser printer/etcher that works on almost
material, and thought it might be of some interest.

Uhhh................., Roger, since I am not psychic, perhaps you could
share an URL or something about this fabled laser printer/etcher.

Thanks

Lee

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Roger Haar (in ) said:

| A week or so ago, someone asked about an oversized inkjet printer
| for wood. I just came across this laser printer/etcher that works
| on almost material, and thought it might be of some interest.

I'm interested. Can you provide a link (or contact information?)

Thanks!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

"Roger Haar" wrote in message
Hi,
A week or so ago, someone asked about an oversized inkjet printer for
wood. I just came across this laser printer/etcher that works on almost
material, and thought it might be of some interest.

Cheers,
Roger Haar
Tucson

I am not sure about what kind of printing you want to do on wood.
I didnt see the original article
but if you want to print black on wood you can do it with any laserjet
printer.
just print the reverse image onto photographic paper with your laserjet and
then put the paper where you want the printing to be on the wood and iron it
on.
best if the finish of the wood is very smooth.
beats having to get a very large printer.

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:50:58 GMT, "Doug Schultz"
wrote:

I am not sure about what kind of printing you want to do on wood.
I didnt see the original article
but if you want to print black on wood you can do it with any laserjet
printer.
just print the reverse image onto photographic paper with your laserjet and
then put the paper where you want the printing to be on the wood and iron it
on.
best if the finish of the wood is very smooth.
beats having to get a very large printer.

I print patterns on self-adhesive labels and stick em on. The white
background makes it much easier to see the lines on any kind of wood.
It does sometimes pull up some fibers when you pull off the label on
certain woods.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tinker

A week or so ago, someone asked about an oversized inkjet printer for
wood.

There are several options, depending on how deep are your pockets.
At the high end are industrial inkjets that will print in color on substrate
up to 2" thick. http://www.mimaki.co.jp/english/ip/inkjet/index.php is
one source. Plan on spending about $60K

In our sign shop we use spray mask vinyl. For this you need a vinyl
cutter. One source of vinyl cutters http://www.signwarehouse.com/ .
And of course regular vinyl is easily applied to wood, but vinyl has
thickness and will need to be overcoated. Vinyl cutters start at
$500 but they are unmercifully slow. Plan on spending at least $1,000
plus to cost of materials. One nice thing you can also do with a
vinyl cutter is cut sandblasting stencil which is a cheaper alternative
to laser engravers for work that isn't too detailed.

You might also want to look into screen printing. The cost is low
but is messy and stinky and time consuming to set up. It's a good
choice if you need several imprintes. Do a Google search.

Probably the least expensive route is to use your laser printer
for water slide decals. http://www.decalpaper.com/wood.html
is one source. There are plenty of others, just search the web.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Haar

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Roger Haar" wrote

A week or so ago, someone asked about an oversized inkjet printer for
wood. I just came across this laser printer/etcher that works on almost
material, and thought it might be of some interest.

Uhhh................., Roger, since I am not psychic, perhaps you could
share an URL or something about this fabled laser printer/etcher.

Thanks

Lee

Sorry

http://www.ulsinc.com/versalaser/english/index.html