Posted to rec.woodworking
Tinker

Default Printing on wood REVISITED.

A week or so ago, someone asked about an oversized inkjet printer for
wood.

There are several options, depending on how deep are your pockets.
At the high end are industrial inkjets that will print in color on substrate
up to 2" thick. http://www.mimaki.co.jp/english/ip/inkjet/index.php is
one source. Plan on spending about $60K

In our sign shop we use spray mask vinyl. For this you need a vinyl
cutter. One source of vinyl cutters http://www.signwarehouse.com/ .
And of course regular vinyl is easily applied to wood, but vinyl has
thickness and will need to be overcoated. Vinyl cutters start at
$500 but they are unmercifully slow. Plan on spending at least $1,000
plus to cost of materials. One nice thing you can also do with a
vinyl cutter is cut sandblasting stencil which is a cheaper alternative
to laser engravers for work that isn't too detailed.

You might also want to look into screen printing. The cost is low
but is messy and stinky and time consuming to set up. It's a good
choice if you need several imprintes. Do a Google search.

Probably the least expensive route is to use your laser printer
for water slide decals. http://www.decalpaper.com/wood.html
is one source. There are plenty of others, just search the web.