Bob

Default Kitchen Cabinet Question

I am in the final design phase of my new kitchen cabinet design and am
just about ready to start cutting some wood.

In looking at my drawings I noticed that I may have a potential issue
that I could really use anyones advice on.

I have a built-in refrigerator cabinet that goes from floor to ceiling
(96"). If I built this cabinet, then tried to get it into position, I
dont think I would be able to stand it up (since I have 96" ceilings).
No way to lean it up.

Also, I have an oven cabinet, full height, that would probably would be
able to stand up since it is not full height due to the toe kick but
not quite sure (need to do some trig to be certain).

The other thing I was noticing is that since the full height cabinets
are referenced from the floor, it seems that I may have an issue
aligning the wall cabinets that adjoin the full heights cabs since they
are referenced from the ceiling. Ultimately, the top rail on the
frames of the wall cabinets and the full height cabinets must align.

So, my ultimate question is how have you dealt with full height
cabinets like this. I cant really build them in place because they are
being finished off-site.

Thanks for any advise.

Todd Fatheree

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

I've thought about doing this in my house. My current wall cabinets are the
30" variety and I figured on making 42" if I ever get around to making them.
I always figured that, if nothing else, to accomodate variation in the
ceiling that the wall cabinets would be placed nominally an inch or so below
the ceiling with the resulting gap hidden by a molding. As for your
refrigerator cabinet, I hope I would have gotten to your question before I
built a 96" cabinet and then brought in the house and then started wondering
how to stand it up. Assuming the cabinet is 24" deep, the tallest cabinet
you could make and still be able to stand up is a bit over 92" (which makes
the diagonal 96"). I honestly don't know what the pros do, but I wonder if
yours could be made in two pieces and later joined in a clever way as to
disguise the joint.

todd

Unisaw A100

Leave you toe boards loose.

Do a site survey and determine where the high spots are on
the floor and low spots are at the ceiling. Build
accordingly.

UA100
Swingman

"Bob" wrote in message

So, my ultimate question is how have you dealt with full height
cabinets like this. I cant really build them in place because they are
being finished off-site.

For a myriad of reasons, and unless they are built-in, "full height"
cabinets are never full height. Normally you build them so they will tip up,
and trim out the top.

They can be taller if you are sliding them onto a standard 4 1/2" ladder
frame for a toe kick, but you will still need to trim out the top due to
floors and ceilings never being parallel.

Always reference a known point, NEVER a floor or ceiling.

Standard way to do this is to use a level and draw a reference line on the
walls around the perimeter of the kitchen, above the 34 1/2" line.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

J. Clarke

Bob wrote:

[...]

Have you considered building in knocked down form and assembling it on site?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

RemodGuy

"Bob" wrote in message ...
[...]

Fridge cabinet isn't a cabinet. One full height panel for each side.
Deep upper cabinet between them above the fridge. I do about 15
kitchens a year. Only way I've ever seen it done.
Oven cabinet must be intwo pieces. cut it off at top of the toe kick.
Set the toe kick in place and lift cabinet onto it after it is
upright. Lot's of tricky measuring involved here, but that's the way
to do it
Good Luck
Mike

Refer cabinets are usually built in pieces, two side panels and upper
cabinet sandwiched between. If it is a big subzero then there will be
no room for an upper cabinet, just a finished panel and crown with the
framing behind to keep the refer from tipping over. An oven cabinet or
pantry may also be stacked and a finished end applied if necessary.
Another thing to check is tight doorways or sharp bends into the
kitchen.

In general cabinets must be referenced from a single point. Usually
the high point of the floor. Remember to leave a scribe space at the
ceiling to allow for irregularities. Crown my work here.

mike

"Bob" wrote in message ...
[...]

John Flatley

We had kitchen cabinets installed Thursday. There were two floor to ceiling
cabinets installed, one on each side of the refrigerator. There is a bridge
wall cabinet to connect the two 'floor-to-ceiling' cabinets.

A base (toe-kick) was set in place, the one-piece cabinet placed on top,
leveled and plumbed and mounted to the wall. The bridge cabinet was
installed next, then the second 'floor-to-ceiling' cabinet. Trim molding
covers the remaining approximate 3/4-inch between the base+cabinet and the
ceiling.

good luck with your installation,

Jack

"Bob" wrote in message
I am in the final design phase of my new kitchen cabinet design and am
just about ready to start cutting some wood.

In looking at my drawings I noticed that I may have a potential issue
that I could really use anyones advice on.

I have a built-in refrigerator cabinet that goes from floor to ceiling
(96"). If I built this cabinet, then tried to get it into position, I
dont think I would be able to stand it up (since I have 96" ceilings).
No way to lean it up.

(deleted remaining text)