Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Faceshield

Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit
in my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them
at The Woodworking Shows.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against
kickback, etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this
mouth, knocking out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat Visor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying
something like this might help ease my pain. : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit in
my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them at
The Woodworking Shows.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against kickback,
etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this mouth, knocking
out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat
Visor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying
something like this might help ease my pain. : )

Bill

****ed if I know why you would want to use one of these in a dishwasher
All the dishwashers I have seen, have been too small for anyone to fit
through the little door, whether they are wearing a face shield or not.
Are you going to climb in to check whether the washer is doing a proper job?
Why don't you get your wife to do the job she was designed to do?,
do the dishes and then you can stand behind her watching her every move
And all this without having to buy a dishwasher and climb inside to check on
its progress

Posted to rec.woodworking

George W Frost wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Well, I figured it would keep the soap out of my eyes when I am cleaning
up in the morning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bill wrote:
Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit
in my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them
at The Woodworking Shows.

Absolutely. I haven't worn goggles in the shop for about fifteen years now;
instead, I use one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_74556-98-900...ductId=3082689

Replacement windows are available at Do-It-Best hardware stores for about half
the cost of the complete unit. In Indianapolis, Bill, that's Sullivan
Hardware.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against
kickback, etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this
mouth, knocking out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

If you do a Google Groups search on this newsgroup for "faceshield" you'll
find numerous posts where I've said "there are other things on your face worth
protecting besides your eyes."

And they come in handy even when you wouldn't necessarily expect it -- who'd a
thunk that a *bandsaw* would eject a small cutoff backward at high speed? A
few years ago, I was cutting a notch out of the corner of a piece of red oak
when suddenly PING! the waste piece (about a 1cm cube) bounced off the
faceshield right in front of my nose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit in
my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them at
The Woodworking Shows.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against kickback,
etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this mouth, knocking
out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat
Visor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying
something like this might help ease my pain. : )

Bill

I wear one, but not as spendy as that. Mine is like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-9002...7063657&sr=1-3

and it has saved my noggin a couple times. I have a couple of them so that I
can have a visitor wear one. All my hits have been off the lathe, but I wear
it for any power tool use.

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2011 7:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit
in my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them at
The Woodworking Shows.

I do have one handy in the shop in case the task at hand waves a huge
red flag, which is not often enough.

I should use it more ... although safety glasses are used often, the
face shield, a light one, is simply too awkward and hot in this climate
for it to become the habit it should be.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"George W Frost" wrote in message
ond.com...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Are you always an ass or just in this instance?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit in
my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them at
The Woodworking Shows.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against kickback,
etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this mouth, knocking
out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat
Visor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying
something like this might help ease my pain. : )

Bill

Ki9nda like Swingman indicated, depending on the climate it might be way too
uncomfortable to wear all the time. I don't like any thing fogging up in
fromt of me and or cupped around my face.

BUT the one you are looking at certainly is not cost prohibitive and you
will not be out much in the event you find it too restrictive or
uncomfortable of full time use and or have available for those times that
comfort is trumped by safety. I'd go for it.

HOWEVER concerning cleaning in the dishwasher, that might not be a good
idea. Most dishwasher detergents are abrasive and could cloud the shield.
And the heat could melt it if not dishwasher safe. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

This is a special one, just for you

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George W Frost" wrote in message
ond.com...
Are you always an ass or just in this instance?

This is a special one, just for you

It will be a shame if you ever have anything worth while to say as I will
miss it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 20:18:23 -0500, Bill wrote:

Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit
in my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them
at The Woodworking Shows.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against
kickback, etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this
mouth, knocking out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat Visor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying
something like this might help ease my pain. : )

You should at least go with a supplied air mask, Bill:

http://tinyurl.com/49vmdl4 or the trendier http://tinyurl.com/4fdv3oe

--
If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 20:18:23 -0500, Bill wrote:

Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit
in my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them
at The Woodworking Shows.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against
kickback, etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this
mouth, knocking out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat Visor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying
something like this might help ease my pain. : )

Bill

Read the customer revies closely.

I shopped around for faceshields like those. I read quite a few
customer reviews and one thing came up over and over: for one of the
models that enclosed the face (forget which one) the plastic stinks to
the point that the users couldn't wear them. It might dissipate with
time.
-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2011 9:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

You should at least go with a supplied air mask, Bill:

http://tinyurl.com/49vmdl4 or the trendier http://tinyurl.com/4fdv3oe

Let he who has not bumped the top of his head in the shop laugh first...
For the time begin, I'll need to stick with more value-oriented
products. I think even thinking about safety like this once in a while
is good practice. And there may be one person reading this who will
identify a way they can further protect something that is difficult to
fix or replace.

Bill

--
If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up
around them will deprive the people of all property until
their children wake up homeless on the continent their
Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions
are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies...
The issuing power should be taken from the banks and
restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/07/11 10:21 AM, Bill wrote:
On 2/7/2011 9:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

You should at least go with a supplied air mask, Bill:

http://tinyurl.com/49vmdl4 or the trendier http://tinyurl.com/4fdv3oe

Let he who has not bumped the top of his head in the shop laugh first...
For the time begin, I'll need to stick with more value-oriented
products. I think even thinking about safety like this once in a while
is good practice. And there may be one person reading this who will
identify a way they can further protect something that is difficult to
fix or replace.

Throw caution to the wind, go with one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/659yj9n

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:38:06 -0500, FrozenNorth
wrote:

On 2/07/11 10:21 AM, Bill wrote:
On 2/7/2011 9:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

You should at least go with a supplied air mask, Bill:

http://tinyurl.com/49vmdl4 or the trendier http://tinyurl.com/4fdv3oe

Let he who has not bumped the top of his head in the shop laugh first...
For the time begin, I'll need to stick with more value-oriented
products. I think even thinking about safety like this once in a while
is good practice. And there may be one person reading this who will
identify a way they can further protect something that is difficult to
fix or replace.

Throw caution to the wind, go with one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/659yj9n

Like, Heavy, man, heavy.

Peace!

--
If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up
around them will deprive the people of all property until
their children wake up homeless on the continent their
Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions
are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies...
The issuing power should be taken from the banks and
restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Why don't you get your wife to do the job she was designed to do?,
do the dishes and then you can stand behind her watching her every move
And all this without having to buy a dishwasher and climb inside to check
on its progress

Are you always an ass or just in this instance?

Bet you already know the answer to that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2011 9:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat Visor

You should at least go with a supplied air mask, Bill:

http://tinyurl.com/49vmdl4 or the trendier http://tinyurl.com/4fdv3oe

I wouldn't consider one of those unless it had a built in CO2 detector.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:51:29 -0500, Jack Stein
wrote:

On 2/7/2011 9:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat Visor

You should at least go with a supplied air mask, Bill:

http://tinyurl.com/49vmdl4 or the trendier http://tinyurl.com/4fdv3oe

I wouldn't consider one of those unless it had a built in CO2 detector.

Huh? You're kidding, right?

Both work on ambient room air that you'd be breathing anyway.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will
fit in my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people
wearing them at The Woodworking Shows.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against
kickback, etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this
mouth, knocking out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat
Visor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_p60_d0_i4?pf
_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0AJR1600W9PVP591FYH0&pf_rd
_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying
something like this might help ease my pain. : )

Two comments:

1) Get something with easily replaceable shields, and get several
spares. That way when the change the design in a few years you don't
find out the new shields won't fit. DAMHIKT

2) I used to buy Uvex safety glasses with the anti-fog coating. The
coating works great for a while, and then it gets cloudy. Eventually,
it's worse than looking through fog. At least for safety glasses, they
expect you to trash them before the coating gets too bad. They may have
improved the coating since I had problems, but I would never buy a Uvex
product with that coating on it. Instead, I get glasses with the scratch
resistant coating, and they last a LOT longer. However, fogging is going
to be much more of an issue with a full face shield like the one shown.
I use much simpler ones like others have linked to, and they are open
enough that fog usually isn't an issue.

Doug White

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up
around them will deprive the people of all property until
their children wake up homeless on the continent their
Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions
are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies...
The issuing power should be taken from the banks and
restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
--Thomas Jefferson

Somebody said it, but it wasn't Jefferson.

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki...28Quotation%29

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 7:46*pm, Doug White wrote:
Bill wrote :

[...]

Doug White- Hide quoted text -

Maybe you could wear one of those chainsaw helmet/earmuff/faceshield
units - no fogging problem with the mesh. And some even have a
plastic area over the eyes. We have a couple full plastic shields in
the shop that get used pretty regularly - especially when wire-
brushing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
"DGDevin" writes:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up
around them will deprive the people of all property until
their children wake up homeless on the continent their
Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions
are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies...
The issuing power should be taken from the banks and
restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
--Thomas Jefferson

Somebody said it, but it wasn't Jefferson.

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki...28Quotation%29

He didn't specify *which* Thomas Jefferson.

--
Drew Lawson | "Look! A big distracting thing!"
| -- Crow T. Robot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:58:40 +0000 (UTC), lid (Drew
Lawson) wrote:

In article
"DGDevin" writes:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up
around them will deprive the people of all property until
their children wake up homeless on the continent their
Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions
are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies...
The issuing power should be taken from the banks and
restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
--Thomas Jefferson

Somebody said it, but it wasn't Jefferson.

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki...28Quotation%29

He didn't specify *which* Thomas Jefferson.

g I got that from the first of the Money Masters videos Swingy
suggested a couple weeks ago, and I'm certainly not the first to
misattribute this statement to Jefferson. shrug

--
If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up
around them will deprive the people of all property until
their children wake up homeless on the continent their
Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions
are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies...
The issuing power should be taken from the banks and
restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
-- misattributed to Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's what happens when you allow cloning experiments on human beings.

Bush was another.

"Drew Lawson" wrote in message ...
He didn't specify *which* Thomas Jefferson.

--
Drew Lawson | "Look! A big distracting thing!"
| -- Crow T. Robot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2011 4:18 PM, Stuart wrote:
In ,
Jack wrote:

You should at least go with a supplied air mask, Bill:

http://tinyurl.com/49vmdl4 or the trendier http://tinyurl.com/4fdv3oe

I wouldn't consider one of those unless it had a built in CO2 detector.

You work in an area where you are likely to encounter high levels of CO2?

The more my next steak farts, the more CO2 smothers the earth. When you
guys stop wringing your hands over getting stabbed with kickback,
cutting your hands off without a SawStop, a blade guard, a riving knife,
losing your hearing w/o giant ear muffs and all that rot, you can wring
your hands over CO2, cow farts and global warming causing huge snow
drifts blocking your shop doors...

After you succumb to some of AlGores CO2 poisoning, at least know I
warned you.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

g I got that from the first of the Money Masters videos Swingy
suggested a couple weeks ago, and I'm certainly not the first to
misattribute this statement to Jefferson. shrug

It sounded suspicious to me from the get-go ("inflation" and "deflation" as
economic terms), so I took a moment to do a search. There is a legitimate
Jefferson quotation on a similar theme¹ but somebody has taken the time to
jazz it up and pass if off as the real thing. There is an issue of
rhetorical credibility here; whoever first created (actually forged) the
quotation is not someone I'd trust from then on, I'd always be wondering
what else they're not being honest about. These days accepting almost any
quotation one sees online at face value seems to be a risky business.

¹ "And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more
dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to
be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity
on a large scale."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:48:22 -0500, Jack Stein
wrote:

The more my next steak farts, the more CO2 smothers the earth. When you
guys stop wringing your hands over getting stabbed with kickback,
cutting your hands off without a SawStop, a blade guard, a riving knife,
losing your hearing w/o giant ear muffs and all that rot, you can wring
your hands over CO2, cow farts and global warming causing huge snow
drifts blocking your shop doors...

After you succumb to some of AlGores CO2 poisoning, at least know I
warned you.

Jack the complaint bureau has closed due to the economy.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2011 3:15 PM, DGDevin wrote:

be wondering what else they're not being honest about. These days
accepting almost any quotation one sees online at face value seems to be
a risky business.

"'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing."

Remains a valid argument despite the misattribution to Edmund Burke.

The written word overrides all, but only as long as it remains intact.

Relying on online resources to do any meaningful "research",
particularly that extrapolated from a time when capturing the spoken
word verbatim, in most any manner, was a difficult, if not impossible,
task, is nothing but a fools game.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Relying on online resources to do any meaningful "research", particularly
that extrapolated from a time when capturing the spoken word verbatim, in
most any manner, was a difficult, if not impossible, task, is nothing but
a fools game.

There is nothing wrong with online research provided you are cautious and
thorough. Many people stop at one source, particularly if it tells them
what they want to hear, and that's risky. But it was risky when the library
was the only place to do research too; two history books might give very
different versions of the same events. However it is true that the internet
gives a worldwide voice to fools and liars, any clown with net access can
post nonsense that somebody else will believe.