Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Faceshield

In article , Bill wrote:
Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe
woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit
in my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them
at The Woodworking Shows.

Absolutely. I haven't worn goggles in the shop for about fifteen years now;
instead, I use one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_74556-98-900...ductId=3082689

Replacement windows are available at Do-It-Best hardware stores for about half
the cost of the complete unit. In Indianapolis, Bill, that's Sullivan
Hardware.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against
kickback, etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this
mouth, knocking out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

If you do a Google Groups search on this newsgroup for "faceshield" you'll
find numerous posts where I've said "there are other things on your face worth
protecting besides your eyes."

And they come in handy even when you wouldn't necessarily expect it -- who'd a
thunk that a *bandsaw* would eject a small cutoff backward at high speed? A
few years ago, I was cutting a notch out of the corner of a piece of red oak
when suddenly PING! the waste piece (about a 1cm cube) bounced off the
faceshield right in front of my nose.