Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing question

wrote

I am still chuckling while wiping up!

He said tits...

If you liked that, how about his one...

Boobs! There, I said it - Booobs!

Jim in NC
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote

Thanks for all the great info and ideas, we never had anything fall off
the back of the stove, so this shelf mounted to the wall would be much
safer anyway.
--
Froz...

Reaching across a stove top with burners on is nuts anyway. Would not
happen in my house. I value my (and mywife's) skin too much to risk such a
thing. But don't let me stop you.

I'd use a polyurethane and let it cure for a week or so before subjecting it
to the heat and vapor

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:54:45 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 23:17:35 -0800, Father Haskell wrote:

Try just varnish straight from the can, no thinner, no oil. Lay it on
with a rag and buff until nearly dry, then repeat. Looks just like
Danish oil, but builds faster and wears better.

OK, but can you just wipe on another coat when the original finish gets
screwed up? Or do you have to remove the old finish first? What I've
read is that of all the film finishes only shellac can be recoated as is.

That's a valid concern. I think the assumption here is that the
varnish is plenty tough enough and it will hold up for a long time.

Tried & True is a pretty unique product. Applied correctly, it is
reasonably tough stuff and easy to replenish.

I don't think you would get the same protection from Watco. Watco is
mostly thinner with some linseed oil, resins and metallic dryers. I
don't think it qualifies as "long oil". And I've seen cases where
Watco was used and the wood easily stained with water rings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 21:59:57 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

wrote

I am still chuckling while wiping up!

He said tits...

If you liked that, how about his one...

Boobs! There, I said it - Booobs! g

I'm a follower of Confuciust (is that a word?) thinking regarding
small titties: One in mouth worth two in hand.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 23:17:35 -0800, Father Haskell wrote:

Try just varnish straight from the can, no thinner, no oil. Lay it on
with a rag and buff until nearly dry, then repeat. Looks just like
Danish oil, but builds faster and wears better.

OK, but can you just wipe on another coat when the original finish gets
screwed up? Or do you have to remove the old finish first? What I've
read is that of all the film finishes only shellac can be recoated as is.

That's a valid concern. I think the assumption here is that the
varnish is plenty tough enough and it will hold up for a long time.

For most varnishes, except polyurinestain, that's true. Do a quick
scuff to give it tooth, dewax it with mineral spirits (taking no
chances that it got a squirt of Pledge), then rub on another coat.

Tried & True is a pretty unique product. Applied correctly, it is
reasonably tough stuff and easy to replenish.

I've tried honey (t&t) before and it was OK, but I much prefer
Waterlox. It's much easier to rub on and I feel that it's a tougher
product.

I don't think you would get the same protection from Watco. Watco is
mostly thinner with some linseed oil, resins and metallic dryers. I
don't think it qualifies as "long oil". And I've seen cases where
Watco was used and the wood easily stained with water rings.

If Watco stained with water rings, it was from too few coats. It's
not as sturdy, as you state, though. Other products are better.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/17/10 11:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote

Thanks for all the great info and ideas, we never had anything fall
off the back of the stove, so this shelf mounted to the wall would be
much safer anyway.
--
Froz...

Reaching across a stove top with burners on is nuts anyway. Would not
happen in my house. I value my (and mywife's) skin too much to risk such
a thing. But don't let me stop you.

The burner controls are back there anyway, what is the big deal, by your
logic I could never turn them off.

The shelf will be above them. Anyone worried about the chance for a
burn from this is either a lawyer from California or totally paranoid.

I'd use a polyurethane and let it cure for a week or so before
subjecting it to the heat and vapor

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

wrote

I am still chuckling while wiping up!

He said tits...

If you liked that, how about his one...

Boobs! There, I said it - Booobs! g

I'm a follower of Confuciust (is that a word?) thinking regarding
small titties: One in mouth worth two in hand.

Ah so... and more than a mouthful is wasted!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

On 12/17/10 11:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote

Thanks for all the great info and ideas, we never had anything fall
off the back of the stove, so this shelf mounted to the wall would be
much safer anyway.
--
Froz...

Reaching across a stove top with burners on is nuts anyway. Would not
happen in my house. I value my (and mywife's) skin too much to risk such
a thing. But don't let me stop you.

The burner controls are back there anyway, what is the big deal, by your
logic I could never turn them off.

The shelf will be above them. Anyone worried about the chance for a
burn from this is either a lawyer from California or totally paranoid.

I'd use a polyurethane and let it cure for a week or so before
subjecting it to the heat and vapor

No kidding, wonder how the cave men survived? Oh thats right they didn't.
Doubt it was because they were burned while grabbing the salt to season
their Mammoth.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 8:59*am, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 12/17/10 11:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote

Thanks for all the great info and ideas, we never had anything fall
off the back of the stove, so this shelf mounted to the wall would be
much safer anyway.
--
Froz...

Reaching across a stove top with burners on is nuts anyway. Would not
happen in my house. I value my (and mywife's) skin too much to risk such
a thing. But don't let me stop you.

The burner controls are back there anyway, what is the big deal, by your
logic I could never turn them off.

The shelf will be above them. *Anyone worried about the chance for a
burn from this is either a lawyer from California or totally paranoid.

I'd use a polyurethane and let it cure for a week or so before
subjecting it to the heat and vapor

Corian, all colours
1/4" – 3/4" (6 mm–19 mm) (All colors)
FLAME SPREAD INDEX (FSI)25
SMOKE DEVELOPED INDEX (SDI)25

CLASS I (A)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 12/17/10 11:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote

Thanks for all the great info and ideas, we never had anything fall
off the back of the stove, so this shelf mounted to the wall would be
much safer anyway.
--
Froz...

Reaching across a stove top with burners on is nuts anyway. Would not
happen in my house. I value my (and mywife's) skin too much to risk such
a thing. But don't let me stop you.

The burner controls are back there anyway, what is the big deal, by your
logic I could never turn them off.

The shelf will be above them. Anyone worried about the chance for a burn
from this is either a lawyer from California or totally paranoid.

I use gas where the burners are sensibly up front. I'm neither a lawyer or
totally paranoid, but I've known of accidents from reaching over hot pots
and splattering grease. Of course, storing condiments in one of the
hottest spots in the kitchen is probably not the best idea either. Doubt
it will affect salt, but if the balsamic vinegar is good stuff, you'd not
have it in the light anyway. Cheap stuff makes little difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 07:13:29 -0800, Rich wrote:

FrozenNorth wrote:

[...]

Nope, it was from trying to collect sabretooth urine for marinade that
killed them.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo
Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

[...]

I know for a fact that not all cavemen died.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 05:36:07 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Tried & True is a pretty unique product. Applied correctly, it is
reasonably tough stuff and easy to replenish.

I've tried honey (t&t) before and it was OK, but I much prefer Waterlox.
It's much easier to rub on and I feel that it's a tougher product.

T&T have 3 different products. Not sure which one you're referring to.
I meant the oil/varnish mix. Sounds like you may have mean the oil/
beeswax mix.

I got started using T&T on bowls and such because it's non-toxic. It
worked so well I started using it elsewhere. But shellac is still my
favorite finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/18/10 11:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

No gas in the house, I am in Canada, I am lucky to have electricity, I
use whale and seal blubber for heat.

I am not in the banana belt. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Nope, it was from trying to collect sabretooth urine for marinade that
killed them.

I know for a fact that not all cavemen died.

Damn, not your old brag again...

--
If the only prayer you ever say in your whole
life is "thank you," that would suffice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:15:50 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 05:36:07 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Tried & True is a pretty unique product. Applied correctly, it is
reasonably tough stuff and easy to replenish.

I've tried honey (t&t) before and it was OK, but I much prefer Waterlox.
It's much easier to rub on and I feel that it's a tougher product.

T&T have 3 different products. Not sure which one you're referring to.
I meant the oil/varnish mix. Sounds like you may have mean the oil/
beeswax mix.

No, the 'good stuff', the varnish oil. It's thick, thick, thick, like
honey which is starting to crystallize! I wonder if that can is still
usable...

I got started using T&T on bowls and such because it's non-toxic. It
worked so well I started using it elsewhere. But shellac is still my
favorite finish.

Waterlox Original in Satin is mine, bar none. A definite step up from
Watco, especially in odor.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo

Oak finishing question mark Woodworking 8 March 16th 08 03:33 AM
Finishing question Ken McIsaac Woodworking 30 May 18th 07 06:14 PM
Finishing question Sasha Woodworking 3 October 25th 05 03:59 PM
Finishing question Junkyard Engineer Woodworking 1 January 24th 05 07:27 PM
About my finishing question Leo Van Der Loo Woodturning 1 November 23rd 04 10:10 PM