Leo Van Der Loo

Default About my finishing question

Bart it is at the last place you put itG.
Have fun and take care(veel plezier)
Leo Van Der Loo

Bart V wrote:
I just finished turning a spindle and tried "that" file while the
lathe was running. Yup, it did give off a tiny tiny bit of dust and
the wood didn't gleam near as much as when hand "rubbing" with it, so
much for that experiment.
I sanded it by hand afterwards (durn, I gotta remember you can do this
before getting too exited with the parting tool...) and rubbed it down
with another piece of wood. Sure enough, the spindle looked mirror
smooth and it really accentuated the grain on this beech spindle.
Slapped some linseed oil (diluted with turpentine) and waddaya know,
the mirror smooth finish remained. I guess we are definitely talking
burnishing and the results from using that particular file by hand now
somehow seems purely coincidental. Oh, and you'll be happy to know I
actually used the skew, succesfully for the first time, this time and
not just as a scraper either

Thanks for yet another awesome lesson,

Bart.
P.S. since there seems to be no way of ever stomping you guys, you
don't happen to know where I put my yellow handle screw driver do
you...
-
Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**