Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Choosing table saw

I am looking for a mid range table saw. I am 70 so this will be the
last one that I buy. I don't want to go through the hassle of buying
a used one (been there done that in spades). The two that I am
looking at are the Porter Cable PCB270TS at Lowe's. It is fairly
recent and has gotten a few good reviews. The other is the Ridgid
R4512 at Home Depot, again fairly new with a few good reviews. It is
very similar to the Craftsman 21833 at Sears the has gotten mixed
reviews mostly to an alignment problem which may boil down to some
missing instructions and needing some better washers at a critical
point.

I have been doing woodworking for about 65 years, starting in
kindergarten. I am sort of an intermediate wood worker who has very
inexpensive tools. My present saw is a Delta tabletop with a broken
miter gauge. I looked at the portable contractors saws and it looks
like for a few $ more I can get a very substantial beast. For
examples of some of my work look at

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra.../woodwork.html

and

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...woodwork2.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Good looking stuff there Ray. I really like the number of projects you did
with the "wild" grain.

As for the saws, I don't know anything about porter cable.

What is the price range you are going for?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2010 10:05 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

If you just want to replace you table saw because you can, forget this
message. ;-)

If not, why don't you just replace the miter gauge?

There are a lot of good mitre gauges at places like Rockler, Lee Valley,
etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Dang Ray, if you consider yourself an intermediate then advanced has not yet
been achieved by "anybody". I was going to advise you to look a little
larger scale for your TS's but you obviousely know your skills and what you
can do with what.

I will tell you this however, Porter Cable and Craftsman are now what they
used to be 20-40 years ago. Craftsman has been going down hill for 15-20
years, maybe longer compared to what some people have experienced.

Porter Cable & Delta seriousely are not what they used to be. I highly
suspect that many of their products are manufacutred along side other less
know brands in Tiawan and China.

That said there is some value in those products if you are willing to work
around certain features that are now well thought out.

If you want your last saw to be a good one, and SAFE. I would strongly
recomend the SawStop brand. Pricey but you know as well as anyone that an
accident can happen at any time, the SawStop removes much of that risk.

Good luck with your hunt!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ray wrote:
[...]

Ray - you don't need any more tools!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 10:29*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Ray wrote:
[...]

Wow, when he get's to advanced I guess we'll see his stuff in the
Smithsonian.

Ray, I have the earlier version of that Rigid saw (35xx something) and
have been very happy with it. The mobility is great and it is
extremely accurate. I did buy an Incra Mitre fence just to have a
bigger surface (and I like blue). But the rip fence has been dead on.

I found a guy selling and old Craftsman cast iron table saw router
extension that I added on and now I can use the fence for that as
well. This added a lot to the saw for $50.

All in all I would recommend it.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 9:50*am, Ray wrote:
[...]

You under estimate your capabilities!
JoeG
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 07:50:54 -0700, Ray wrote:

I am looking for a mid range table saw. I am 70 so this will be the
last one that I buy. I don't want to go through the hassle of buying a
used one (been there done that in spades). The two that I am looking at
are the Porter Cable PCB270TS at Lowe's. It is fairly recent and has
gotten a few good reviews. The other is the Ridgid R4512 at Home Depot,
again fairly new with a few good reviews. It is very similar to the
Craftsman 21833 at Sears the has gotten mixed reviews

Ray, Porter-Cable and Craftsman have gone way donwhill from what they
used to be. If the Ridgid is made by the same folks that make the
Craftsman I'd be leery of it as well.

I've heard good things about Powermatic, General, and Steel City. I
don't know your price range but Steel City has a small cabinet saw that
runs on 110 for about a grand. General offers a lifetime warranty if not
used commercially. Powermatic may be too expensive but they're hard to
beat.

And a little lower in the price/quality range don't forget JET. I think
they're good value for the money. IMNSHO they've been getting better at
about the same rate Delta has been getting worse :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Ray wrote:
I am looking for a mid range table saw. I am 70 so this will be the
last one that I buy. I don't want to go through the hassle of buying
a used one (been there done that in spades). The two that I am
looking at are the Porter Cable PCB270TS at Lowe's. It is fairly
recent and has gotten a few good reviews. The other is the Ridgid
R4512 at Home Depot, again fairly new with a few good reviews. It is
very similar to the Craftsman 21833 at Sears the has gotten mixed
reviews mostly to an alignment problem which may boil down to some
missing instructions and needing some better washers at a critical
point.

Not terribly long ago Fine Homebuilding did a review--unfortunately, I
can't tell you otomh what was in the review nor who "won" or "lost" as
am not in the market so didn't pay much (as in any ) attention. But,
their reviews are, I think, pretty fair and reasonable so might see if
you can find the issue online.

I've got to run right now, but if I get a chance and no joy on the web
prior, I'll see if I can find it in my back issues and either post
either synopsis or at least Vol/Number/Date...

If'en you're doing that kind of work with the saw you have, perhaps as
somebody else noted, maybe some $$ could go to a quality miter gauge and
fence for the saw you have and any left over to mini-lathe or something
else to expand your facilities...just a thought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

..

If'en you're doing that kind of work with the saw you have, perhaps as
somebody else noted, maybe some $$ could go to a quality miter gauge and
fence for the saw you have and any left over to mini-lathe or something
else to expand your facilities...just a thought.

--

Think that saw has a smaller miter grove then most full size table saws. The
after markets can only adjust to the larger grove.

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ray wrote:

[...]

Nice work!!!! I have that little Delta I use out in the field, not a bad saw
for a mini. I believe Lowes use to sell Jet table saws, you might take a
look at them too. Don't think you can get an after market miter for the mini
saw because the miter grove is smaller then your full size saws.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Rich wrote:
dpb wrote:

.
If'en you're doing that kind of work with the saw you have, perhaps as
somebody else noted, maybe some $$ could go to a quality miter gauge and
fence for the saw you have and any left over to mini-lathe or something
else to expand your facilities...just a thought.

Think that saw has a smaller miter grove then most full size table saws. The
after markets can only adjust to the larger grove.

Then I'd wonder what is broke and if'en I couldn't fit the head from
another to that bar as a starting point (unless, of course, I was
adamant that "I really, really want a new saw..."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Ray - you don't need any more tools!

Indeed, I think Ray should have to stop using any power tools at all to give
the rest of us a chance to catch up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ray wrote:

I have been doing woodworking for about 65 years, starting in
kindergarten. I am sort of an intermediate wood worker who has very
inexpensive tools. My present saw is a Delta tabletop with a broken
miter gauge. I looked at the portable contractors saws and it looks
like for a few $ more I can get a very substantial beast. For
examples of some of my work look at

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra.../woodwork.html

and

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...woodwork2.html

I just want to join those who are impressed by your work in saying so.
Do you have any suggestions or advice you might share?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

examples of some of my work look at

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra.../woodwork.html

and

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...woodwork2.html

Ray, you certainly have a lot of beautiful work !!!

I think that http://www.finewoodworking.com/ is also an excellent
place to look for Quality tools
and reviews as well as http://lumberjocks.com/

I hope you find what your looking for :-)

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 8:50*am, Ray wrote:
[...]

I, also would recommend looking at Grizzly. They provide a lot of
value for your bucks.

I personally have owned a Grizzly 1023s for about ten years and I love
it. I was looking at saws that were 30-80% more expensive when I
bought it (Unisaw, Jet, Powermatic); but I have all of the utility
they could provide and it has held up well under fairly heavy home
use. Their current 1023RL is probably a close comparison; and their
new Polar Bear G0715P also appears to be similar (except 2hp vs 3
hp). Right now you can get Polar Bears at a good introductory price.
I just bought one of their Polar Bear versions of the G0453 planer and
it duplicates the green version except for paint and a better switch/
switch mount.

You might also look at their contractor's saw. However, the cost of
some of them can approach the Polar Bear cabinet saw above. They
used to offer a version similar to the G0438 and our son owns one. I
used it for 3-4 weeks while we were helping him finish his house and
it is a nice machine. It uses an aluminum version of the steel Shop
Fox fence, but after using it for a while I seemed to be pretty
similar to mine in utility.

Here is a link to their saws page. However, you might also want to
look at their catalog link (bottom of each saw's linked page) because
several of their contractor's saws aren't on the site.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=530000

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:40:53 -0800, Rich wrote:

Ray wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the kind comments on my woodworking projects, and
thanks for the input on saw choice.

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on to
something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors saws such
as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells for ~$300. I
also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529, but since I am a
veteran I can buy it for ~$475. For 50% more money I get a saw that
will accept dado blades, has separate elevation and blade angle
cranks, has a nice fence, has stand, cast iron top, and weighs 5 times
as much. Seems like good value. Reviews seem mixed in this price
class with common complains about blade alignment being off by .003"
and table top being off flat by .019". This class of saw seems to be
an order of magnitude more than what I presently use, and since I tend
to be a sawdust maker rather than a tool collector I wonder if this is
good enough for me? The next step up seem to be the Grizzly etc.
which are about double the Ridgid and with other exotic saws costing
about what my first house cost. My son has a Shop Fox in the $1K
class. It is a nice saw. Will I really see much difference between
the $500 and the $900 saws since I am stepping up from a rather basic
saw?

On re comparing I think I like the Ridgid better than the Porter Cable
because of the fence and ease of adjustment of the blade.

Thanks

Ray
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:35:45 -0800, Rich wrote:

Think that saw has a smaller miter grove then most full size table saws.
The after markets can only adjust to the larger grove.

Another reason to not buy Craftsman.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:56:56 -0700, Ray wrote:

Will I really see much difference
between the $500 and the $900 saws since I am stepping up from a rather
basic saw?

Yes. In general you should see smoother running, better ability to hold
an adjustment, and closer tolerances. And I'm sure I forgot something.

It sounds like the General and Powermatic that I suggested earlier are a
bit more than you want to spend. But take a good look at this Steel City
saw:

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-City-35990C-10-Inch-Contractor/dp/B0046RDUEQ

A contractors saw with a riving knife *and* table mounted trunnions -
worth their weight in gold. $600 with free shipping from Amazon.

I don't pwn one of these saws, but I was working at Woodcraft when they
were carrying them and I was impressed with the quality for the money.

Tip: If you do get a contractor saw without table mounted trunnions, be
sure to get the PALS adjustment system:

http://www.amazon.com/PALS-CTS-align...FW/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1291138792&sr=1-1

I did have one of those on my last table saw and I loved it.

Just to be fair I must point out that the above are my opinions. You can
put 3 woodworkers together and get 4 different opinions :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ray wrote:

[...]

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 23:31:05 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on to
something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors saws such
as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells for ~$300. I
also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529, but since I am a
veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Both Homey's Despot and Blowes give 10% discounts for veterans.
I hadn't known that until now, either.

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on to
something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors saws such
as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells for ~$300. I
also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529, but since I
am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on to
something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors saws
such as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells for
~$300. I also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529, but
since I am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Both Homey's Despot and Blowes give 10% discounts for veterans.
I hadn't known that until now, either.

Don't know about Lowes, but Home Depot only discounts for Active Duty and
Retired - not for vets.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 08:40:12 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on to
something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors saws such
as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells for ~$300. I
also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529, but since I
am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes have told me if I show a copy of my DD214
that I get a 10% discount. Sears will not give discount on sale
items. Lowes will not combine vets discount and 10% off coupons, but
did give 10% off Black Friday sale.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on
to something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors
saws such as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells
for ~$300. I also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529,
but since I
am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes have told me if I show a copy of my DD214
that I get a 10% discount. Sears will not give discount on sale
items. Lowes will not combine vets discount and 10% off coupons, but
did give 10% off Black Friday sale.

I know that HD did offer a vet's discount at one-off times (like Veteran's
Day, Memorial Day Weekend), but I was not aware that the standing policy
includes all vets. I'm pretty sure it is just for those with official
military ID cards, on a regular basis. That said - at HD, it can vary by
store manager's discretion. I'll have to remember to check on that - it
would be an interesting point if it's true.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

[...]

Lowe's here (El Paso) gives 10% for military, or retired, *with* ID. (or in
uniform which occurs frequently because of Fort Bliss)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on to
something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors saws such
as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells for ~$300. I
also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529, but since I
am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

http://fwd4.me/qzq "In February, Lowe’s expanded its military
discount program to give all active, reserve, and retired military
members and their immediate family members a 10% discount everyday."

P.S: Retired = veteran, Mike.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on
to something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors
saws such as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells
for ~$300. I also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529,
but since I
am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

http://fwd4.me/qzq "In February, Lowe's expanded its military
discount program to give all active, reserve, and retired military
members and their immediate family members a 10% discount everyday."

P.S: Retired = veteran, Mike.

Well - retired does equal veteran, but veteran does not equal retired.
Those of us who just got out after our hitch, or within a period less than
the 20 year reitrement threshold are not retired, by any definition. Both
HD and Lowes honor discounts to Active Duty, Reservists, (etc.) and Retired,
but not to regual veterans. The general rule of thumb is that a DOD issued
ID card is required. That said - store management discretion prevails.
Some will offer discounts to all vets, some have been known not to extend
them to even card carrying vets.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ray wrote:

[...]

Ray:
I used one of the old 1970's Craftsman, open bottom "Contractor's"
saws for 25 years. It seems like they must have made millions of them
and I was proud of it when I bought it new. It was underpowered, the
blade-tilt hand-wheel required both hands to make adjustments, it
vibrated, had a loose miter gage and the fence was not good. But it
worked, and I cranked out some pretty nice projects.

When I upgraded to my Grizzly 1023s 10 years ago it was like moving
from a garden tractor to a Lexus (well, maybe a slight exaggeration
~:^} ). The 1023s is smooth, the fence has required very infrequent
adjustment, the stock miter gage is good, but not wonderful, the hand-
wheels are smooth as silk, and it has power to handle anything I need
to do.

I also mentioned using our son's Grizzly contractor saw. The only
comparison between the his Grizzly and the Craftsman was general size
and appearance. The Griz has cast iron table wings like the 1023s.
The handwheels are smooth. The fence is very similar to my Grizzly/
Shop Fox fence and the overall operating characteristics are fairly
similar to my Grizzly cabinet saw. It is just a little smaller, open
bottomed and has 2hp instead of 3hp.

Your work examples clearly show you are an advanced woodworker. I
certainly won't say that an upper end contractor's saw or a cabinet
saw will make you a better woodworker. I will say it will make
woodworking easier and more enjoyable.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Larry Jaques" wrote

, "Mike Marlow" wrote:

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

http://fwd4.me/qzq "In February, Lowe's expanded its military
discount program to give all active, reserve, and retired military
members and their immediate family members a 10% discount everyday."

P.S: Retired = veteran, Mike.

I'm a veteran and I'm retired but I'm not a retired veteran.

Max (Retired Deputy Fire Chief, El Paso Fire Department, '53 - '86) (US
Army, Korea, '50 - "51)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on
to something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors
saws such as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It
sells for ~$300. I also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for
$529, but since I
am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes have told me if I show a copy of my
DD214 that I get a 10% discount.

That's good to know.

Speaking only for the Home Depot position here - this has got to be one of
the most misunderstood policies of the decade. The official policy (why
don't people go to web sites and find official policies instead of beating
them around on usenet?) is that only DOD card carrying people qualify for
day to day 10% discounts. On special days (Veteran's Day, Memorial Day
Weekend, 4th of July) regular vets get the 10% as well. Otherwise - no
discount based on a DD-214 or any other document that you may consider
relevant. The policy is very clearly stated on the web site. Simply go to
Homedepot.com and type in veteran's discount into the search box. You'll
see it.

That said - there is a fellow that seems to represent Home Depot that posts
to a forum that is visible at that point. He clearly states that all
veterans qualify for the 10% discount every day. I've personally never
heard that, but he seems to think so. Causes a lot of confusion when on
their own web site the company states one thing and the "official"
representative of the company on that web site, says something different. I
think the guy's name is Darren Ryan - or something like that. (too lazy to

I do know that some things were left to manager's discretion but at this
point when they post a policy on the web site, that discretion is removed,
unless specified on the web site.

In the end - this forum won't gain you any real factual information. Hell -
Home Depot can't seem to figure out what their policy is. I'd print out the
page from the web site if I were you, and if you qualify for the conditions
specified by those terms, I'd show the store manager what his company is
publishing. If he balks - tell him you want to speak with his District
Manager. But - for the rest of the people that feel they are qualified for
these discounts - read the web site.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:05:47 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

, "Mike Marlow" wrote:

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

http://fwd4.me/qzq "In February, Lowe's expanded its military
discount program to give all active, reserve, and retired military
members and their immediate family members a 10% discount everyday."

P.S: Retired = veteran, Mike.

I'm a veteran and I'm retired but I'm not a retired veteran.

Max (Retired Deputy Fire Chief, El Paso Fire Department, '53 - '86) (US
Army, Korea, '50 - "51)

Mike's statement about there being some assholes in stores takes
precedence over the corporate statements, evidently. Check yours to
see if you qualify. Wave a DD-214 at 'em and see if they flinch, I
guess.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration
of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If
the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling
the differences between true and false, right and wrong,
virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of
mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?"
--John Adams
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Larry Jaques" wrote
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:05:47 -0700, "Max" wrote:

I'm a veteran and I'm retired but I'm not a retired veteran.

Max (Retired Deputy Fire Chief, El Paso Fire Department, '53 - '86) (US
Army, Korea, '50 - "51)

Mike's statement about there being some assholes in stores takes
precedence over the corporate statements, evidently. Check yours to
see if you qualify. Wave a DD-214 at 'em and see if they flinch, I
guess.

Worth a try.............I guess. {:-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:05:47 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

, "Mike Marlow" wrote:

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

http://fwd4.me/qzq "In February, Lowe's expanded its military
discount program to give all active, reserve, and retired military
members and their immediate family members a 10% discount everyday."

P.S: Retired = veteran, Mike.

I'm a veteran and I'm retired but I'm not a retired veteran.

Max (Retired Deputy Fire Chief, El Paso Fire Department, '53 - '86)
(US Army, Korea, '50 - "51)

Mike's statement about there being some assholes in stores takes
precedence over the corporate statements, evidently. Check yours to
see if you qualify. Wave a DD-214 at 'em and see if they flinch, I
guess.

Yeahbut - waving a DD-214 shouldn't get you expecting anything. How does a
DD-214 make you qualified?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on to
something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors saws such
as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It sells for ~$300. I
also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for $529, but since I
am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes have told me if I show a copy of my DD214
that I get a 10% discount. Sears will not give discount on sale
items. Lowes will not combine vets discount and 10% off coupons, but
did give 10% off Black Friday sale.

Thanks for the info!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Larry Jaques" wrote
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:05:47 -0700, "Max" wrote:

I'm a veteran and I'm retired but I'm not a retired veteran.

Max (Retired Deputy Fire Chief, El Paso Fire Department, '53 - '86) (US
Army, Korea, '50 - "51)

Mike's statement about there being some assholes in stores takes
precedence over the corporate statements, evidently. Check yours to
see if you qualify. Wave a DD-214 at 'em and see if they flinch, I
guess.

Worth a try.............I guess. {:-)

Max

Wonder if my disability card would be a better bet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Larry Jaques" wrote
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:05:47 -0700, "Max" wrote:

I'm a veteran and I'm retired but I'm not a retired veteran.

Max (Retired Deputy Fire Chief, El Paso Fire Department, '53 -
'86) (US Army, Korea, '50 - "51)

Mike's statement about there being some assholes in stores takes
precedence over the corporate statements, evidently. Check yours to
see if you qualify. Wave a DD-214 at 'em and see if they flinch, I
guess.

Worth a try.............I guess. {:-)

Max

Wonder if my disability card would be a better bet.

Depends on the store. Some will honor it and some won't. If they go
stricktly by the corporate policy, it doesn't count. But as been hashed
about here - it's a complete guess as to whether any particular store will
go in either direction.

--

-Mike-

Choosing a new sander mark UK diy 6 June 30th 10 02:39 PM
Choosing a new boiler? steve Home Repair 4 April 27th 07 02:18 PM
Choosing a new lav Clive UK diy 7 March 29th 07 08:59 PM
Need help choosing a table saw strongarm938 Woodworking 20 April 11th 06 07:09 AM
Need help choosing a table saw Gooey TARBALLS Woodworking 0 April 8th 06 09:32 PM