Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Choosing table saw

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 07:50:54 -0700, Ray wrote:

I am looking for a mid range table saw. I am 70 so this will be the
last one that I buy. I don't want to go through the hassle of buying a
used one (been there done that in spades). The two that I am looking at
are the Porter Cable PCB270TS at Lowe's. It is fairly recent and has
gotten a few good reviews. The other is the Ridgid R4512 at Home Depot,
again fairly new with a few good reviews. It is very similar to the
Craftsman 21833 at Sears the has gotten mixed reviews

Ray, Porter-Cable and Craftsman have gone way donwhill from what they
used to be. If the Ridgid is made by the same folks that make the
Craftsman I'd be leery of it as well.

I've heard good things about Powermatic, General, and Steel City. I
don't know your price range but Steel City has a small cabinet saw that
runs on 110 for about a grand. General offers a lifetime warranty if not
used commercially. Powermatic may be too expensive but they're hard to
beat.

And a little lower in the price/quality range don't forget JET. I think
they're good value for the money. IMNSHO they've been getting better at
about the same rate Delta has been getting worse :-).