Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Choosing table saw

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 08:40:12 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The Delta bench top saw has served me well, but I want to move on
to something better. I first looked at the mobile contractors
saws such as the De Walt 745. It got very good reviews. It
sells for ~$300. I also looked at the Ridgid R4512. It sells for
$529, but since I
am a veteran I can buy it for ~$475.

Home Depot discounts for vets?

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes have told me if I show a copy of my
DD214 that I get a 10% discount.

That's good to know.

Speaking only for the Home Depot position here - this has got to be one of
the most misunderstood policies of the decade. The official policy (why
don't people go to web sites and find official policies instead of beating
them around on usenet?) is that only DOD card carrying people qualify for
day to day 10% discounts. On special days (Veteran's Day, Memorial Day
Weekend, 4th of July) regular vets get the 10% as well. Otherwise - no
discount based on a DD-214 or any other document that you may consider
relevant. The policy is very clearly stated on the web site. Simply go to
Homedepot.com and type in veteran's discount into the search box. You'll
see it.

That said - there is a fellow that seems to represent Home Depot that posts
to a forum that is visible at that point. He clearly states that all
veterans qualify for the 10% discount every day. I've personally never
heard that, but he seems to think so. Causes a lot of confusion when on
their own web site the company states one thing and the "official"
representative of the company on that web site, says something different. I
think the guy's name is Darren Ryan - or something like that. (too lazy to

I do know that some things were left to manager's discretion but at this
point when they post a policy on the web site, that discretion is removed,
unless specified on the web site.

In the end - this forum won't gain you any real factual information. Hell -
Home Depot can't seem to figure out what their policy is. I'd print out the
page from the web site if I were you, and if you qualify for the conditions
specified by those terms, I'd show the store manager what his company is
publishing. If he balks - tell him you want to speak with his District
Manager. But - for the rest of the people that feel they are qualified for
these discounts - read the web site.

--

-Mike-