Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF Multifunction tool

Just a heads up for anyone considering the HF MF tool. They have a coupon
in the after-Thanksgiving flyer for the base model for $19.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/retail-flyer

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:24:20 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

Just a heads up for anyone considering the HF MF tool. They have a coupon
in the after-Thanksgiving flyer for the base model for $19.99.

I saw that. Isn't that cheaper than their extended warranty? g
Cheap insurance, even if you already own one. The 4-1/2" angle
grinders just went off sale. They were $9.99.

They also have a 3000# winch for $50 which would make my tree stump
pulling days a cinch, especially if I built a crab for it.

You know, I've been eyeing that same winch on and off for a while now. Take
a look at the user reviews on the HF web site before you decide to
spring for it. They made me hold off at the $69 price, I'm still not
sure at $50.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 07:14:34 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

(Larry W) wrote:

Just a heads up for anyone considering the HF MF tool. They have a coupon
in the after-Thanksgiving flyer for the base model for $19.99.

I saw that. Isn't that cheaper than their extended warranty? g
Cheap insurance, even if you already own one. The 4-1/2" angle
grinders just went off sale. They were $9.99.

They also have a 3000# winch for $50 which would make my tree stump
pulling days a cinch, especially if I built a crab for it.

You know, I've been eyeing that same winch on and off for a while now. Take
a look at the user reviews on the HF web site before you decide to
spring for it. They made me hold off at the $69 price, I'm still not
sure at $50.

49 liked it lots or OK, 6 gave it one star or two. One tow-star said
"Not good for Jeep." I guess he didn't read "ATV winch" or "3k#
rolling load", did he?

I couldn't build a winch box with fairleads for that price, let alone
add power & a transmission to it.

I'll let you know how it works for me when I get one, Larry. I may
try to pull out that oak stump sometime soon. Cracked portions of my
driveway are elevated 2" already. I let a neighbor pay a guy to cut
down the 16" dia oak for firewood already. He took the branches and
leaves, too. Sucha deal!

I'm not too iffy after reading the feedback. Some of those with bad
units sounded like they could screw up a wet dream.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 11:23*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I'm not too iffy after reading the feedback. Some of those with bad
units sounded like they could screw up a wet dream.

You have to be careful with all the feedback *at any site* you see
these days, right? Much of the time there are a lot of personal
prejudices that come into play and folks can't seem to get around
them, such as where the item is made, comparisons of the item to their
old favorite, even vendor customer service will bring a bad light to a
manufacturer.

I personally think sometimes it makes a lot of the petty little people
feel big when they put down products.

There there is an experience factor. Should a guy expect good results
when painting his crew cab pickup with a detail paint gun? Should an
18 ga. brad gun be able to drive a 2" brad into seasoned white oak?
Could you reasonable expect a portable generator you can toss in you
tool box to power your shop table saw?

I like one of the tech sites I go to as they rate their own level of
experience. If the more knowledgeable members smell B.S., they burn
down the poster.

Just thinking out loud, here.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

And valid thoughts they are, Robert, I mean Naily.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The 'raves' are often suspect too. Like...who posts those? ALL (only)
satisfied customers? Really?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:40:44 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

The 'raves' are often suspect too. Like...who posts those? ALL (only)
satisfied customers? Really?

My feeling on reviews is that the majority of people that were relatively happy
with the product don't bother to reply..
Folks that are unhappy would tend to post, IMO..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 7:53*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:

A problem with the raves is that they tend to be by people who just
recieved the package and opened it and were all excited. *They don't
tell you if three months or three years down the road it grows fangs and
eats Detroit.

That is an ** excellent ** point. The first blush of love when you
receive a new tool is often greatly diminished over a period of using
it.

I am thinking here of my DeWalt brand roto tool that has been used
exactly twice in almost 10 years. I sure did like it when I unwrapped
it under the Christmas tree, though. After watching the commercials
for these things, I thought I was going to be able to build a
Jeffersonian mansion with it.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:53:07 -0500, "J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

The 'raves' are often suspect too. Like...who posts those? ALL (only)
satisfied customers? Really?

My feeling on reviews is that the majority of people that were relatively happy
with the product don't bother to reply..
Folks that are unhappy would tend to post, IMO..

A problem with the raves is that they tend to be by people who just
recieved the package and opened it and were all excited.

They're pretty easy to filter. I generally read the negative reviews to see
what the problems are (will I have that problem and can I live with it) and
how the company (either the seller or manufacturer) dealt with the issues.
Whether a product receives a '4' or '5' is pretty much irrelevant.

They don't
tell you if three months or three years down the road it grows fangs and
eats Detroit.

You say it like there that's a negative.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 12:24*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
Just a heads up for anyone considering the HF MF tool. They have a coupon
in the after-Thanksgiving flyer for the base model for $19.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/retail-flyer

--
When the game is over, the pawn and the king are returned to the same box..

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

They just sent me an e-mail with a 25% OFF ANY SINGLE ITEM COUPON GOOD
THANKSGIVING DAY ONLY.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Triton SJA200 Superjaws Workbench
$179.00 $99.99
You Save $79.01(44%)

amazon dot com now!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 7:49*pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
Triton SJA200 Superjaws Workbench
$179.00 $99.99
You Save $79.01(44%)

amazon dot com now!

Do it! I have 2. I think those are the greatest things!
One of mine is a Triton the other a Ridgid. they are in fact identical.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 24, 7:49*pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
Triton SJA200 Superjaws Workbench
$179.00 $99.99
You Save $79.01(44%)

amazon dot com now!

Do it! I have 2. I think those are the greatest things!
One of mine is a Triton the other a Ridgid. they are in fact identical.

That looks pretty neat. Does the clamping mechanism allow use as a press?