Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Some pics of The Belfast Grande project

There will be 7 Extira panels flanking the pub's doorways:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...tiraPanels.jpg

There will be a celtic cross in the main sign:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...elticCross.jpg

One of the pubs is called the Red Fox:

The birth of the fox from a solid block of HDU
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/Fox1.jpg

and the finished, but not yet painted product.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/Fox2.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
There will be 7 Extira panels flanking the pub's doorways:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...tiraPanels.jpg

There will be a celtic cross in the main sign:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...elticCross.jpg

One of the pubs is called the Red Fox:

The birth of the fox from a solid block of HDU
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/Fox1.jpg

and the finished, but not yet painted product.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/Fox2.jpg

That is truly depressing.

Can it be that in all of Ireland there is nobody left who can carve a fox
for a pub sign?

That even in Belfast people are so used to seeing CNC routered MDF in their
public buildings that they may as well be in Disneyland or Las Vegas as in
the heart of an ancient city?

That a celtic cross is reduced to a corporate logo for the sale of beer and
bar meals?

It's all coming true, everything we have been warned about for years now.
Weep, weep, bitter tears of self reproach. We could have stopped those
*******s if we had had more courage.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 4:35*am, "Tim W" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

There will be 7 Extira panels flanking the pub's doorways:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...tiraPanels.jpg

There will be a celtic cross in the main sign:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...elticCross.jpg

One of the pubs is called the Red Fox:

The birth of the fox from a solid block of HDU
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/Fox1.jpg

and the finished, but not yet painted product.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/Fox2.jpg

That is truly depressing.

Sorry you feel that way. I have more of a sense of accomplishment.

Can it be that in all of Ireland there is nobody left who can carve a fox
for a pub sign?

And fly him over to do a whole bunch of architectural products for a
reasonable price? This pub is in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, we have no
Irish carvers over here, just a bunch of hard working/drinking patrons
who need their whistles wetted. I'm here to help them.
I will also machine Fleur de Lis for our French drunks.

That even in Belfast people are so used to seeing CNC routered MDF in their
public buildings that they may as well be in Disneyland or Las Vegas as in
the heart of an ancient city?

We are doing what we can to spread the historic Irish contribution to
alcohol.... on a budget. To give those wayward Irish some sense of
belonging in a foreign land.

That a celtic cross is reduced to a corporate logo for the sale of beer and
bar meals?

No. It's there as a salute and recognition for a job well done of
spreading Irish cheer around the world... something you may want to
add to your list of things to do.

It's all coming true, everything we have been warned about for years now.
Weep, weep, bitter tears of self reproach. We could have stopped those
*******s if we had had more courage.

I bet you're a riot at parties too, eh?
Get over it, dude... let it go... no sense in being depressed over
some people having a few pints. Luring those homesick Irish into my
trap to squeeze a few dollars out of them as they drown their sorrows
because they miss the Old Country so much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:18:22 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

There will be 7 Extira panels flanking the pub's doorways:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...tiraPanels.jpg

What's a rich retar^R^Rired guy like you doing in a tiny, crowded shop
like that, hmm?

There will be a celtic cross in the main sign:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...elticCross.jpg

Cool. 2-piece, cross and circle, or one carving?

One of the pubs is called the Red Fox:

The birth of the fox from a solid block of HDU
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/Fox1.jpg

and the finished, but not yet painted product.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/Fox2.jpg

Very nice. I saw a red fox and her kit moving across a horse pasture,
running between shrubs to stay hidden, at a client's house one day
last month. I was surprised to see them during the day and in the
city, though that was a rural part. Cool aminals.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 11, 4:35 am, "Tim W" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

[Tim w]
LOL - I really got hold of the wrong end of that stick didn't I?
Forgive me for thinking the Belfast Grande might have been in Belfast
- it actually _is_ a bit of disney/vegas retail theme pub elsewhere in
america and that is totally fine and I am sure it is part of your culture
and the kind of place you like to have in Canada.

I must have got up with a sore head thismorning, but I wish you well with
it, sincerely.

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Robatoy wrote:

... This pub is in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, we have no
Irish carvers over here, just a bunch of hard working/drinking patrons
who need their whistles wetted. I'm here to help them.

Do I read more into this than you're just working on the restore/remodel
or is this part of your retirement venture(s), Rob?

Inquiring minds and all that rot, ya' know...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:

... This pub is in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, we have no
Irish carvers over here, just a bunch of hard working/drinking patrons
who need their whistles wetted. I'm here to help them.

Do I read more into this than you're just working on the restore/remodel
or is this part of your retirement venture(s), Rob?

Inquiring minds and all that rot, ya' know...

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with introducing culture into
a depressed part of Sarnia.

Apparently the cultural aspect has to do with a combination of Celtic
symbols and the copious consumption of various fermented beverages.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with introducing culture
into a depressed part of Sarnia.

Apparently the cultural aspect has to do with a combination of Celtic
symbols and the copious consumption of various fermented beverages.

will they be serving sarnies with the beer?

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

BIG snip

alcohol.... on a budget.

I'm sure the Irish will approve! ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 9:43*am, dpb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

... This pub is in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, we have no
Irish carvers over here, just a bunch of hard working/drinking patrons
who need their whistles wetted. I'm here to help them.

Do I read more into this than you're just working on the restore/remodel
or is this part of your retirement venture(s), Rob?

Inquiring minds and all that rot, ya' know...

--

Mostly remodelling and showcasing some architectural milling. After
completion, the day-to-day will be left to others. If the place does

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 10:18*am, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

... Robatoy wrote:

... This pub is in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, we have no
Irish carvers over here, just a bunch of hard working/drinking patrons
who need their whistles wetted. I'm here to help them.

Do I read more into this than you're just working on the restore/remodel
or is this part of your retirement venture(s), Rob?

Inquiring minds and all that rot, ya' know...

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with introducing culture into
a depressed part of Sarnia.

I wouldn't call it a depressed area. I call it an area with plenty of
history that is currently performing below potential.

Apparently the cultural aspect has to do with a combination of Celtic
symbols and the copious consumption of various fermented beverages.

That pub will be more like a social networking place where one can
relax and share recipes and quilting ideas.

That little bit of nonsense reminded me of a knitting club that took
place at a school chum's grandmother's place.
The women would start off knitting and gossiping as the rounds of
brandywine soaked raisins increased in frequency. Before too long, the
level of conversation would increase in volume and decrease in
quality..LOL Before you knew it we all knew who was humping who and
why.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 11:45*am, "Tim W"
wrote:
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in messagenews:4cdc092c$0$18248$c3e8da3$e408f015@news .astraweb.com...

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with introducing culture
into a depressed part of Sarnia.

Apparently the cultural aspect has to do with a combination of Celtic
symbols and the copious consumption of various fermented beverages.

will they be serving sarnies with the beer?

Tim W

Not familiar with 'sarnies'...short for sardines?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 11, 11:45 am, "Tim W"
wrote:
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
messagenews:4cdc092c$0$18248$c3e8da3$e408f015@news .astraweb.com...

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with introducing culture
into a depressed part of Sarnia.

Apparently the cultural aspect has to do with a combination of Celtic
symbols and the copious consumption of various fermented beverages.

will they be serving sarnies with the beer?

Not familiar with 'sarnies'...short for sardines?

Sandwiches. Us workmen are always stopping for a cuppa and a sarnie.

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 5:59*pm, "Tim W" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Nov 11, 11:45 am, "Tim W"
wrote:

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
messagenews:4cdc092c$0$18248$c3e8da3$e408f015@news .astraweb.com...

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with introducing culture
into a depressed part of Sarnia.

Apparently the cultural aspect has to do with a combination of Celtic
symbols and the copious consumption of various fermented beverages.

will they be serving sarnies with the beer?

Not familiar with 'sarnies'...short for sardines?

Sandwiches. Us workmen are always stopping for a cuppa and a sarnie.

Tim W

Ohhh sammieses!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:56:24 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Nov 11, 11:45*am, "Tim W"
wrote:
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in messagenews:4cdc092c$0$18248$c3e8da3$e408f015@news .astraweb.com...

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with introducing culture
into a depressed part of Sarnia.

Apparently the cultural aspect has to do with a combination of Celtic
symbols and the copious consumption of various fermented beverages.

will they be serving sarnies with the beer?

Tim W

Not familiar with 'sarnies'...short for sardines?

They really "pack 'em in there" in the Banana Belt, do they?

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 3:15*pm, Nova wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

BIG snip

alcohol.... on a budget.

I'm sure the Irish will approve! ;-)

We don't ...... and we object to the stereotype. However, I suspect
the wanna-be Oirish will love it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bull****. You Irish ****s perpetuate that very same stereo type.

However, I suspect
the wanna-be Oirish will love it.

I drank the Black Swan on the Danforth in TO into solvency. Don't tell
me the Irish don't drink, they out-drink the Dutch (like me) 10 to 1.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 12:57*am, Jimbo wrote:
On Nov 11, 3:15*pm, Nova wrote: Robatoy wrote:

BIG snip

alcohol.... on a budget.

I'm sure the Irish will approve! ;-)

We don't ...... and we object to the stereotype. *However, I suspect
the wanna-be Oirish will love it.

Shane McGowan just isn't the same sober.
Posted to rec.woodworking

It just dawned on me why the name of your pub sounded familiar. It's
a stretch, but the synapses, well, they do what they want sometimes,
eh? The bell ringing was rung by the movie Airplane! In the movie
the hero, played by Robert Hayes, had a drinking problem caused by a
horrible incident he witnessed over Macho Grande. Hmmm...drinking
problem...Grande. Yep, naming a place anything Grande should do well
on the subliminal let's get toasted scale.

Project Boat Bed Pics damian penney Woodworking 6 July 1st 07 10:21 AM
Latest Project Pics damian penney Woodworking 13 May 11th 07 08:19 AM
Latest project pics Nate Perkins Woodworking 7 November 28th 04 04:12 PM
Latest Project Pics Dave Woodworking 4 June 20th 04 07:55 PM
PICS: My latest project Chris Woodworking 3 July 18th 03 07:16 PM