Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Latest Project Pics

Just uploaded a few pics of my latest project, an entryway bench in
walnut & birdseye maple. Bunch of firsts for me, sliding dovetails,
veneering, gilding (next step) etc. Hours of fun, couldn't do it
without my apprentice though

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm

I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of
it, haven't decided yet...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"damian penney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just uploaded a few pics of my latest project, an entryway bench in
walnut & birdseye maple. Bunch of firsts for me, sliding dovetails,
veneering, gilding (next step) etc. Hours of fun, couldn't do it
without my apprentice though

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm

I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of
it, haven't decided yet...

Very nice looking.

I think I would round over the edges. One night you will stumble into it
when the lights are off. I still have a spot on my shin bone from a similar
trip.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc bc is offline

On May 4, 1:27 am, damian penney wrote:
Just uploaded a few pics of my latest project, an entryway bench in
walnut & birdseye maple. Bunch of firsts for me, sliding dovetails,
veneering, gilding (next step) etc. Hours of fun, couldn't do it
without my apprentice though

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm

I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of
it, haven't decided yet...

Looks Great! My only concern is the amount of wood left between the
upper corners of those adjacent dovetails. You might consider shifting
them slightly off-center towards the outside of the rail so that there
is a little more real estate between those corners if you ever do
something similar, not too far or you'll weaken the outside edge of
the leg. And maybe I'm just being over-cautious. I do have a
pronounced tendency to over engineer things. You should see the
cradle I built for my first born. It's suspended, and I'm pretty sure
that it will hold at least 500 lbs. without shifting or racking and
it's big enough that he could have slept in it until age 8. It was
one of my first projects and let's just say that I've learned a lot
since then. You've got to start somewhere, right? bc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 7:04 am, bc wrote:
[...]

Thanks, you're kinda right about the corners. The inside bit is very
weak as I found out when I was dry assembling and cracked one of them.
However I don't think it makes any difference structurally as that
piece is trapped by two rails(stretchers?) so it has nowhere to go and
is solidly glued in place i.e It's weak when one dovetail is in place
but fine when both are in place. I was worried about it until I saw
other designs that actually had that inside corner floating, with the
dovetails themselves overlapping.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 3:56 pm, "Lee" wrote:
Very nice"damian penney" wrote in message

oups.com...

Just uploaded a few pics of my latest project, an entryway bench in
walnut & birdseye maple. Bunch of firsts for me, sliding dovetails,
veneering, gilding (next step) etc. Hours of fun, couldn't do it
without my apprentice though

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm

I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of
it, haven't decided yet...

Thanks Lee I think this is the first project where everything has
come out how I expected it to which is a nice. Hope the next steps go
well too

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm

I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of
it, haven't decided yet...

Very Nice! Looks like ya did good!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 2:27 am, damian penney wrote:
Just uploaded a few pics of my latest project, an entryway bench in
walnut & birdseye maple. Bunch of firsts for me, sliding dovetails,
veneering, gilding (next step) etc. Hours of fun, couldn't do it
without my apprentice though

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm

I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of
it, haven't decided yet...

I wouldn't round over the top too much..just my taste.
It is your table....and a pretty darn nice piece of work at that.
About those dovetails... I think I see what others mean. A bit more
space between them would have looked a bit better maybe, perhaps a
slightly shorter tail?

r---- who thinks maybe you should round the corners a bit, lest your
prince be hurting himself. He must give you a lot of joy. When Angela
was doing work in the ER...she saw a lot of table-corner related cut-
up kiddies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't round over the top too much..just my taste.
It is your table....and a pretty darn nice piece of work at that.
About those dovetails... I think I see what others mean. A bit more
space between them would have looked a bit better maybe, perhaps a
slightly shorter tail?

r---- who thinks maybe you should round the corners a bit, lest your
prince be hurting himself. He must give you a lot of joy. When Angela
was doing work in the ER...she saw a lot of table-corner related cut-
up kiddies.

I think I'm going to use a tiny little roundover bit on it, mainly to
protect the edges themselves, not the shins With regards the
dovetails, a smaller tail may have been better but I'm pretty pleased
with the way they are now. Something to mull for next time though.

Also I just noticed the stupid gallery thing wasn't working in IE so
you can now zoom in a bit more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 2:27 am, damian penney wrote:
Just uploaded a few pics of my latest project, an entryway bench in
walnut & birdseye maple. Bunch of firsts for me, sliding dovetails,
veneering, gilding (next step) etc. Hours of fun, couldn't do it
without my apprentice though

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm

I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of
it, haven't decided yet...

VERY impressive.

-jtpr

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 5:54 am, jtpr wrote:
On May 4, 2:27 am, damian penney wrote:

Just uploaded a few pics of my latest project, an entryway bench in
walnut & birdseye maple. Bunch of firsts for me, sliding dovetails,
veneering, gilding (next step) etc. Hours of fun, couldn't do it
without my apprentice though

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm

I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of
it, haven't decided yet...

VERY impressive.

-jtpr

Thanks for all the comments/feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

damian penney wrote:

Thanks for all the comments/feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Looks good in the smaller pix but when I click on them I get a 404 error
instead of the expected larger pix.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000739-0, 05/09/2007
Tested on: 5/9/2007 11:37:57 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 8:37 pm, Bill in Detroit wrote:
damian penney wrote:

Thanks for all the comments/feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Looks good in the smaller pix but when I click on them I get a 404 error
instead of the expected larger pix.

Bill

--http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

When did you get the 404 error? There was a problem when I first
uploaded them (worked in Firefox but not IE) but I thought that was
all fixed, and I just checked again in IE6/Firefox and seems to work
fine. Odd.

Here are the direct links to the larger images

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1432.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1434.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1438.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1439.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1443.jpg

Damian

Posted to rec.woodworking

damian penney wrote:

Thanks for all the comments/feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Looks good in the smaller pix but when I click on them I get a 404 error
instead of the expected larger pix.

Bill

--http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

When did you get the 404 error? There was a problem when I first
uploaded them (worked in Firefox but not IE) but I thought that was
all fixed, and I just checked again in IE6/Firefox and seems to work
fine. Odd.

Here are the direct links to the larger images

http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1432.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1434.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1438.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1439.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1443.jpg

Damian

Just a couple minutes before I posted. Thanks for the direct links, they
work fine. Your work looks really nice. And the table, too. ;-)

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000739-2, 05/11/2007
Tested on: 5/11/2007 3:19:50 AM

Latest project in a.b.p.w Kevin Woodworking 5 October 23rd 05 04:41 PM
Latest project pics Nate Perkins Woodworking 7 November 28th 04 04:12 PM
Latest Project Pics Dave Woodworking 4 June 20th 04 07:55 PM
PICS: My latest project Chris Woodworking 3 July 18th 03 07:16 PM