js

Default Dangers of wood stove in shop without dust collection

Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

Doug Miller

In article , "js" wrote:
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

Yes. And you might be, even *with* a dust collection system, because of fine
airborne dust that comes through the filters or is never collected in the
first place (dust collection systems are not 100% effective).

Best solution is to have the woodshop and the wood stove in different rooms.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Dave W

On the other hand, wood stoves and wood shops have peacefully coexisted for
hundreds of years. Dust explosions in the air require incredibly high dust
concentrations. The dust levels are so high breathing would not be
possible. I had a stove in my shop for many years. A few simple rules: Do
not run the stove hard (hot) if you are not there watching it, Clean the
stack annually and follow code for installation.
Dave
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article , "js"

wrote:
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for

heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

Yes. And you might be, even *with* a dust collection system, because of

fine
airborne dust that comes through the filters or is never collected in the
first place (dust collection systems are not 100% effective).

Best solution is to have the woodshop and the wood stove in different

rooms.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Doug Miller

In article , "Dave W" wrote:
On the other hand, wood stoves and wood shops have peacefully coexisted for
hundreds of years. Dust explosions in the air require incredibly high dust
concentrations. The dust levels are so high breathing would not be
possible. I had a stove in my shop for many years. A few simple rules: Do
not run the stove hard (hot) if you are not there watching it, Clean the
stack annually and follow code for installation.

Combustible material in the presence of flame is an obvious fire hazard.
Who said anything about explosion?

Dave
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article , "js"

wrote:
[...]

Mike G

As far as fire hazards, with reasonable caution and good house keeping, not
particularly.

Now if you are talking trouble with finishes, glues, possibly rust and if
you live somewhere where the shop will go below freezing regularly you'd
best be thinking about what to do with them. For the most part they don't
fair well at low temperatures.

Also keep in mind that if you crank up the woodstove and shop is warm and
toasty it doesn't mean the various items and liquids in the shop have
reached good working temperatures.

Congratulations on the house and shop.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"js" wrote in message
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for

heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

js

It looks like such an obvious hazard to me. But you do have a point about
them coexisting for years. Wasn't any dust collection back in the day, and
they only had wood or coal to keep em warm.

wrote:
[...]

Mike Marlow

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "js"
wrote:
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am
a bit concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a
woodstove for heat, and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I
looking at a fire hazard here?

Yes. And you might be, even *with* a dust collection system, because
of fine
airborne dust that comes through the filters or is never collected in
the
first place (dust collection systems are not 100% effective).

Best solution is to have the woodshop and the wood stove in different
rooms.

I respectfully disagree. This has been debunked many times and a simple
google search will reveal ample converstion on this very topic. Your
woodshop will not generate the concentration of particulates necessary for
combustion. Woodstoves, open pilot light furnaces, etc. exist in woodshops
all over the place and there are just no substantiating cases of fires,
explosions, etc. If this were truely a problem, you'd be at equal risk from
the spark that occurs everytime you throw a common household light switch in
the garage. Those that continue to advocate that a woodstove can be a
source of explosion due to airborne dust seem to overlook that little spark
that eminates from their light switch.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Dave W"
wrote:
On the other hand, wood stoves and wood shops have peacefully
coexisted for hundreds of years. Dust explosions in the air require
incredibly high dust concentrations. The dust levels are so high
breathing would not be possible. I had a stove in my shop for many
years. A few simple rules: Do not run the stove hard (hot) if you
are not there watching it, Clean the stack annually and follow code
for installation.

Combustible material in the presence of flame is an obvious fire
hazard.
Who said anything about explosion?

I think some of us saw that as implied in your original reply Doug. Your
reply below would seem to only apply to explosion since airborne dust
burning is not a very realistic concern.

Yes. And you might be, even *with* a dust collection system,
because of

fine
airborne dust that comes through the filters or is never collected
in the first place (dust collection systems are not 100% effective).

--

-Mike-

Charlie Self

js responds:

It looks like such an obvious hazard to me. But you do have a point about
them coexisting for years. Wasn't any dust collection back in the day, and
they only had wood or coal to keep em warm.

I thought seriously about a woodstove in my shop a few years ago. I have a good
friend who runs ye olde basic woodstove, cleans the flue when he remembers (not
often), knocks the dust off the top when he lights the stove, has a pretty
close to code set-up, and has never had a single problem. It sometimes makes me
nervous.

I know another guy, nice guy but I don't know him well enough to call him a
friend. Interviewed James for Woodshop News some years ago and discovered his
shop had wood heat. You'd never know it: The stove is in the basement, almost
totally separate from the woodworking area. He is in the shop ever day, follows
every known care, and has never had a single problem.

You figure it out. I put in an electric furnace, free from a local HVAC dealer
who had pulled it out as he installed a completely new set-up for someone (this
is common, and sometimes the dealers have to pay to get rid of the stuff, so at
least check it out).

Charlie Self
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Disraeli as
quoted by Mark Twain
J. Clarke

js wrote:

Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for
heat, and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire
hazard here?

No more than any other kind of direct heat. Gas, oil, or electric all
provide ignition sources. If you want to be completely safe from the risk
of having your heating system ignite the dust then you have to go with
steam or hot water or a heat pump without backup (regular electric heat
uses a red-hot filament, heat pumps don't get much if any any hotter than
the backside of an air conditioner).

Do keep the dust swept up, especially in the immediate vicinity of the
stove.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

js

You bring up a very good point here Mike. The front part of my shop is a
separate room, and I saw thinking of using it as a finishing room. I think
an electric heater is the way to go for that part of the shop to keep
finishes from freezing. excellent point.

"js" wrote in message
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a

bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for

heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:07:17 GMT, "js"
wrote:

Am I looking at a fire hazard here?

Depends what sort of work you do. Neander-only is fine, a sawbench
wouldn't worry me, but if I was regularly routing MDF without dust
control I just wouldn't do it.

You may also find that local safety rules simply forbid woodstoves in
workshops.

--
Smert' spamionam
Puff Griffis

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember wood stove's where the only =
source of heat for many hundreds of years and people still did wood =
working in heated shops. Obvious precautions should be taken like not =
storing wood too close to the stove ect.
Puff

"js" wrote in message =
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a =

bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for =

heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire =

hazard
here?
=20
=20

Mike Marlow

wrote:

Am I looking at a fire hazard here?

Depends what sort of work you do. Neander-only is fine, a sawbench
wouldn't worry me, but if I was regularly routing MDF without dust
control I just wouldn't do it.

MDF dust generated from common woodshop practices (sawing, sanding, etc.) is
far to granular and far too sparse in density to pose a fire/explosion risk.
Though... it is nasty stuff. Messy!!!!!
--

-Mike-

Edwin Pawlowski

"js" wrote in message
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for

heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

I'd not worry about the dust collection as much as solvents and the fumes
from them.

One big caution. Wood stoves may be cool because it has not been burned for
a day, but the can still be a hot coal or two under the ashes. You may
think you are safe and start using a solvent based finish and BOOM ! ! !
If you are using a kerosene or propane heater you know the flame is out.
Wood or coal, not so.

FWIW, solid fueled heaters are not allowed (National Fire Code) in garages
attached to a house. You may have other local code issues.
Ed

The Guy

js wrote:
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

It depends on the ratio of hand tools to power tools you use and how
messy you are. My grandfather had a wood stove in his woodshop for 50+
years and never had a fire. He was very neat and was afraid of power
tools too.

Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! -

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:55:19 GMT, "js"
wrote:

It looks like such an obvious hazard to me. But you do have a point about
them coexisting for years. Wasn't any dust collection back in the day, and
they only had wood or coal to keep em warm.

Didn't have power tools making fine dust though.

And in the 19th century, exploding workshops _were_ a hazard.
--
Smert' spamionam
Steve Knight

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:07:17 GMT, "js" wrote:

Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

no. I used to have a propane heater right next to the bandsaw with no DC. all
that happened was the sawdust that landed on it smoked. it takes a very dense
dust cloud to burn.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Rick Nelson

I recently read about storing finishes in a cabinet with a 60W bulb and
a thermostat to keep them at a stable temperature. This would seem to
be a much more economical solution than using an electric heater to keep
the whole finishing area warm.

-Rick

js wrote:
You bring up a very good point here Mike. The front part of my shop is a
separate room, and I saw thinking of using it as a finishing room. I think
an electric heater is the way to go for that part of the shop to keep
finishes from freezing. excellent point.

J. Clarke

wrote:

It looks like such an obvious hazard to me. But you do have a point about
them coexisting for years. Wasn't any dust collection back in the day, and
they only had wood or coal to keep em warm.

Didn't have power tools making fine dust though.

And in the 19th century, exploding workshops _were_ a hazard.

So when did a work shop in the 1800s that was making something other than
gunpowder explode?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Keith Nuttle

To see how our perception on hazard has changed over time Watch the
1890's house the next time it is on PBS. After restoring the house to
the condition its was in 1890 and with the 1890 appliances, they had a
very difficult time in getting the regulator to permit people to live
today with those items.

For combustion to occur the combustible to air ratio has to be in very
tight limits.

Mike Marlow wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "js"
wrote:

[...]

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:14:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

So when did a work shop in the 1800s that was making something other than
gunpowder explode?

How many instances do you want ? If you live in an older city, go
and look in your local records - you're bound to find them. How about
Boston and the infamous Molasses Tsunami ? Or Gateshead, where
molten lead from the roof fire spilt down onto picric acid used for
dyeing, and the resultant lead picrate explosive demolished half of
the quayside.

--
Smert' spamionam
Sweet Sawdust

Maybe not wood shops, but flour mills didn't even allow candles in the
building.

And in the 19th century, exploding workshops _were_ a hazard.

So when did a work shop in the 1800s that was making something other than
gunpowder explode?

Mike G

Glad I could help.

Back when I lived in Montana my shop was heated with a wood stove but had no
separate room. I just made up a box large enough to carry the glue and
finishes and kept it in the heated bunk house till the shop reached a
reasonable temperature.

A pain but it worked. Of course when the last of the kids moved out the bunk
house became the shop. Much nicer.

Good luck.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net

"js" wrote in message
Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a

bit
concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for

heat,
and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire

hazard
here?

B a r r y

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:07:17 GMT, "js"
wrote:

Am I looking at a fire hazard
here?

Only if your dust collector isn't grounded. Oops! Wrong thread! G

I would do it, but I wouldn't use solvent based finishes or glues
while it was lit. I'd also be picky about where the stove was located
compared to major dust generators, like router tables, power saws, and
sanders. Care should be taken to keep the area around the stove, and
the stove itself, clean. I have an oil-fired furnace in my shop right
now, complete with internal open flame.

Just 'cuz I would do it, dosen't mean you should. It's not my fault
if you blow up.

Barry

Edwin Pawlowski

"B a r r y" wrote in message

Only if your dust collector isn't grounded. Oops! Wrong thread! G

Yeah, he should use a thin kerf blade to make less dust. Not to mention the
savings in wood cost.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

J. Clarke

wrote:

So when did a work shop in the 1800s that was making something other than
gunpowder explode?

How many instances do you want ? If you live in an older city, go
and look in your local records - you're bound to find them. How about
Boston and the infamous Molasses Tsunami ? Or Gateshead, where
molten lead from the roof fire spilt down onto picric acid used for
dyeing, and the resultant lead picrate explosive demolished half of
the quayside.

Which incident has about the same relevance to the issue of woodstoves in
wood shops as does Chernobyl.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

Sweet Sawdust wrote:

Maybe not wood shops, but flour mills didn't even allow candles in the
building.

And in the 19th century, exploding workshops _were_ a hazard.

So when did a work shop in the 1800s that was making something other than
gunpowder explode?

A flour mill is not a "workshop", it's a "mill".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Stephen M

Yeah, he should use a thin kerf blade to make less dust. Not to mention
the
savings in wood cost.
Ed

Better still: the negative kerf blade, and that does double-duty as a a dust
collector.

The Guy

wrote:

So when did a work shop in the 1800s that was making something other than
gunpowder explode?

How many instances do you want ? If you live in an older city, go
and look in your local records - you're bound to find them. How about
Boston and the infamous Molasses Tsunami ? Or Gateshead, where
molten lead from the roof fire spilt down onto picric acid used for
dyeing, and the resultant lead picrate explosive demolished half of
the quayside.

Which incident has about the same relevance to the issue of woodstoves in
wood shops as does Chernobyl.

Well...after Chernobyl, I did rule out having a Russian made nuclear
reactor in my home wood shop.

Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! -

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 4 May 2004 09:00:52 -0400, Stephen M wrote:
Yeah, he should use a thin kerf blade to make less dust. Not to mention

the
savings in wood cost.

Better still: the negative kerf blade, and that does double-duty as a a dust
collector.

OOOooo, I like those, but have a hard time finding a good supplier.
Any suggestions? I'm willing to trade a truck load of postholes for
the right situation.

Charlie Self

Dave Hinz notes:

wrote:
Yeah, he should use a thin kerf blade to make less dust. Not to mention

the
savings in wood cost.

Better still: the negative kerf blade, and that does double-duty as a a

dust
collector.

OOOooo, I like those, but have a hard time finding a good supplier.
Any suggestions? I'm willing to trade a truck load of postholes for
the right situation.

Sorry. My S10 won't handle the weight.

Charlie Self
"The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems
rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny
Dave Hinz

On 04 May 2004 14:51:52 GMT, Charlie Self wrote:
Dave Hinz notes:

OOOooo, I like those, but have a hard time finding a good supplier.
Any suggestions? I'm willing to trade a truck load of postholes for
the right situation.

Sorry. My S10 won't handle the weight.

How far away are you from me? I can deliver them in the loader, and
install them with the backhoe if you're close enough. They're a bit
crooked, but for most purposes they're fine.

Dave

Charlie Self

Dave Hinz responds:

On 04 May 2004 14:51:52 GMT, Charlie Self wrote:
Dave Hinz notes:

OOOooo, I like those, but have a hard time finding a good supplier.
Any suggestions? I'm willing to trade a truck load of postholes for
the right situation.

Sorry. My S10 won't handle the weight.

How far away are you from me? I can deliver them in the loader, and
install them with the backhoe if you're close enough. They're a bit
crooked, but for most purposes they're fine.

Ah, well, maybe I'm close enough. If so, I'll move away.

Charlie Self
"The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems
rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny

Robert Bonomi

wrote:
Yeah, he should use a thin kerf blade to make less dust. Not to mention

the
savings in wood cost.

Better still: the negative kerf blade, and that does double-duty as a a dust
collector.

OOOooo, I like those, but have a hard time finding a good supplier.
Any suggestions? I'm willing to trade a truck load of postholes for
the right situation.

do they include installation?

Joe Woody Woodpecker

BS. Before I ever got a DC, I hqd dust flying from my TS, Router and
plqner while I was heating the shop with a woodburning stove.

The dust consintration is not high enough to cause an explosion or
spntainous combustion.

IF the dust consintration ever got high enough to create a fire by
spontainous combustion, you would not want to be in the room. AND IF
YOU WERE NOT IN THE ROOM, NO DUST WOUKD BE MADE,.

Makes you wonder what kind of heat was used on mills before there was
electricity?

=3D=3D

Dangers of wood stove in shop without dust collection

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Mon, May 3, 2004, 12:31pm (MDT+6) From:
(Doug=A0Miller)
In article , "js"
wrote:

Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a
bit concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove
for heat, and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a
fire hazard here?

Yes. And you might be, even *with* a dust collection system, because of
fine airborne dust that comes through the filters or is never collected
in the first place (dust collection systems are not 100% effective).
Best solution is to have the woodshop and the wood stove in different
rooms.

--

Regards,
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Do ug Miller

(alphageek-at-milmac-dot-com)
For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, send email to
autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com You must use your REAL
email address to get a response.

--
Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:55:04 +0000, Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

I'm willing to trade a truck load of postholes for the right situation.

do they include installation?

Nope, they're self-installing, but you've got to align them to north
(of course) before setting 'em.

Charlie Self

Dave Hinz states:

I'm willing to trade a truck load of postholes for the right situation.

do they include installation?

Nope, they're self-installing, but you've got to align them to north
(of course) before setting 'em.

Deal killer. I'm moving back to Virginia where everything has to be aligned to
the south.

Charlie Self
"The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems
rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny
Dave Hinz

On 04 May 2004 20:45:35 GMT, Charlie Self wrote:
Dave Hinz states:

Nope, they're self-installing, but you've got to align them to north
(of course) before setting 'em.

Deal killer. I'm moving back to Virginia where everything has to be aligned to
the south.

Hm. These _are_ double-ended postholes, might they work if you turn
them upside-down?