Sir Edgar

Default Ambient air cleaners

I hope that this post doesn't get lost among all the OTs and troll posts
whcih seem to be appearing lately in great number.

After spending a few days cleaning my shop and equipment of fine dust
particles, I am considering buying an air cleaner. I would appreciate
comments from other wreckers who have them as to their operation. Are
they a worthwhile investment? Perhaps I should just buy a better bag for
my large DC. All comments and advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F 8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Traves W. Coppock

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:08:56 -0400 (EDT), (Sir
Edgar) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

I hope that this post doesn't get lost among all the OTs and troll posts
whcih seem to be appearing lately in great number.

After spending a few days cleaning my shop and equipment of fine dust
particles, I am considering buying an air cleaner. I would appreciate
comments from other wreckers who have them as to their operation. Are
they a worthwhile investment? Perhaps I should just buy a better bag for
my large DC. All comments and advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar
רררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררר

a bigger bag will increase your CFM slightly, but unless you get a
smaller micron bag, it might actually increase your post DC airborne
particulate matter.
if you get a bag with a better filter rating, you can clean up alot.

as for air exchanger, i built mine.
get yourself a squirle cage fan motor, and mount it into a box, about
20"x12"x30". enclose all but two opposing sides, mount the blower
inside so it can exhaust out through a hole in an adjacent side to the
open sides.
build a track to hold a furnace filter, (i use the fancy 3M ones,
spendy, but cheaper than a new set of lungs)over both open ends of the
box.then, mount it to the ceiling.
i figure it changes the air in my shop about 7 times an hour, but i
have a real small shop.

i DID notice a large difference in the dust that settles on things
since i built it.

YMMV, good luck

Traves
j.b. miller

I've got one of those overhead air filters with a prefilter and 3
legged'sock' in it run form a squirrel cage fan. It made a world of
difference! Some of the best money I've spent,esp. if you have to
stain/finish your projects in the same shop.Mine's mounted halfway down the
long side of the shop over where the RAS was, this way is catches most of
the fine stuff from the 'sanding' station to the left of it. Always let it
run 1/2 to 1 hour after your done for the day, and turn it on before you
start as well.
A DC only gets the 'big' stuff from around the machine(s) not the airborn
'floaters', but a better filter is worth the extra money there as well.

hth
Jay

Igor

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:04:55 -0500, Traves W. Coppock
wrote:

[snip]
as for air exchanger, i built mine.
get yourself a squirle cage fan motor, and mount it into a box, about
20"x12"x30". enclose all but two opposing sides, mount the blower
inside so it can exhaust out through a hole in an adjacent side to the
open sides.
build a track to hold a furnace filter, (i use the fancy 3M ones,
spendy, but cheaper than a new set of lungs)over both open ends of the
box.then, mount it to the ceiling.
i figure it changes the air in my shop about 7 times an hour, but i
have a real small shop.

[snip]

What did you use for the track? Something pre-fabbed?

Bob S.

I also purchased the Jet 1000 about a year ago. It works very well - no
doubt about it. There was an article in one of the trades within the past
year that did a comparison on about 6 models. Don't remember the ratings
but only one of them was rated as don't waste your money - the others were
all okay. The Jet was dinged for not having a flat foam seal around where
the filters set against the frame. A dollar, three, ninety-eight spent on
some self-sticking, 3M high-density foam seal from the borg cured that.

At the time I got mine, Jet did not offer a washable, electrostatic filter
for the model 1000. They may now but I haven't checked. I soon found that
those filters can get expensive and that they're a non-standard size but you
can get that size at the borgs. Delta does make a washable electrostatic
filter that sells for around $49 and I got one of those after about two
months. It "appears" to work as good or better as the throw away filters
but I don't have any proof other than my judgment on that. I do use a
pre-filter in front of it (sort of a belt and suspenders kinda thing) using
one of the filters I got from the borg. You can also buy filters that you
cut to size but I haven't needed to try that.

All in all - I'm satisfied with its performance and its hard to go wrong
with any one of them. You will notice a big difference and it's also good
for moving the air around in the shop to help keeps cooler.

Try the AW site to see if they have the reviews.

Bob S.

Sir Edgar

Thanks for all the prompt responses and the good advice contained
therein. I read them all at breakfast this morning. I think that I wll
start looking for a suitable air cleaner to save my 79 year old lungs.
Also I will consider buying a better filter bag for my Delta DC.
Peace to all ~ Sir Edgar
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F 8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:36:56 GMT, "Bob S."
wrote:

The Jet was dinged for not having a flat foam seal around where
the filters set against the frame. A dollar, three, ninety-eight spent on
some self-sticking, 3M high-density foam seal from the borg cured that.

My brand new AFS-1000B has a foam seal. Maybe Jet listened?

Barr

Carolyn Marenger

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:08:56 -0400, Sir Edgar wrote:

I hope that this post doesn't get lost among all the OTs and troll posts
whcih seem to be appearing lately in great number.

After spending a few days cleaning my shop and equipment of fine dust
particles, I am considering buying an air cleaner. I would appreciate
comments from other wreckers who have them as to their operation. Are
they a worthwhile investment? Perhaps I should just buy a better bag for
my large DC. All comments and advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar
רררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררר

I'm following the lead of a friend of mine. He built his out of plywood
and bits found at flea markets. His air filters are standard furnace air
filters.

Basic design includes a blower (used) and a motor (from an old dryer)
connected with a fan belt. Plywood structure encasing the blower & motor
with a slot that fits a standard dollar store furnace filter beside the
blower's intake.

I think he said it cost him around $10 (Canadian), a couple hours
building, and part of a day rummaging around a yard sales and flea
markets. The latter he does anyway.

It seems to work quite well, the dust and other particles that make it
into the air do end up lining the air filters. My nose notices the
difference when it isn't turned on. How it compares to a commercial unit,
I can't say.

Carolyn

Phil

Here is the one I built about 10 years ago and still use. I stack 3 filters
on top of each other on each side. The inner filter still picks up fine
dust. I use the floor joist (basement shop) to duct clean air over the
tablse saw. If I had it to do over, I'd go to bigger filters. Mine are 16"
x 20", and a dust for a 3rd set of filter on the floor. When I do a lot of
work (not dust collector) I see a trail of dust on the floor of particles
that made it to the floor. Look at the bottom of this web page:

http://webpages.charter.net/pminmo/wood1.htm

Sir Edgar wrote:

I hope that this post doesn't get lost among all the OTs and troll posts
whcih seem to be appearing lately in great number.

After spending a few days cleaning my shop and equipment of fine dust
particles, I am considering buying an air cleaner. I would appreciate
comments from other wreckers who have them as to their operation. Are
they a worthwhile investment? Perhaps I should just buy a better bag for
my large DC. All comments and advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar
רררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררר

Joe Nation

I have the larger Jet air cleaner. I don't recall the modle number. It came
with a disposable pre- filter that has been replaced with an washable
electrostatic filter.The air cleaner is equipted with an additional optional
charcoal filter that is also effective in picking up organic smells. I have
used the air cleaner for about two years now. I am very pleased with it.
It is mounted from the celing in the center of the shop (size 24' X24'). It
is so quite while it is on that I tend to forget it is running. Because it
is so quite I try to remember to turn it on when I first go into the shop by
setting the on/off timer so that I will not leave the shop with it running.

An air cleaner will not substitute for a good dust collection system. If
you don't have a good dust collecting system get one before you buy an air
cleaner. The air cleaner working with a dust collection system will remove
almost all of the airborne dust particles that your normal shop operations
create that a good dust collection system misses. No system that I am aware
of is going to keep ALL of the fine dust form setteling on horizontal
surfaces after prolonged shop operations. The Jet air cleaner will remove
almost all *airborne* dust particles but I have found that after a few days
of shop operations I start to notice fine dust particles in paticular on the
floor and other horizontal surfaces even though the dust collector and the
air cleaner have been running while the shop is in operation. I have
discovered that an effective way to combat this is to use a blast of air
form the air gun that is connected to my air compressor. I first vaccum the
floor with a vaccum that is equipted with a clean stream filter and use the
air gun to stir up the small dust particles that remain on the other
horizontal surfaces and open shelves that are difficult to vaccum. The
object is to get them airborne again or for them to fall back onto the floor
form shelves and other horzontal surfaces such as workbench tops. By the
way don't stir up the dust until you are ready to leave for the day! Leave
the air cleaner on for a couple of hours after this procedure. When you
return the fine dust will have been picked up by the air cleanre or will
have settled onto the floor where you can easily get at it with a shop
vaccum. If you do this, you will need to clean the washable electorstatic
prefilter much more frequently.

I clean the shop prior to any spray painting that I do (includes a second
vaccuming of the floor to remove any remaining dust particles that might
become airborne due to me moving around in the shop). I run the air cleaner
30 minutes or more prior to the painting after everything has been vaccumed
up. The air cleaner does such a good job of removing dust particless that I
never have to worry about dust nibbs becoming attached to my freshly painted
surfaces. I also run the air cleaner continuously while the paint is drying.

I am very pleased with the air cleaner. Used with a dust collection system
it lets me keep a very clean shop with minimum effort.

"Sir Edgar" wrote in message
I hope that this post doesn't get lost among all the OTs and troll posts
whcih seem to be appearing lately in great number.

After spending a few days cleaning my shop and equipment of fine dust
particles, I am considering buying an air cleaner. I would appreciate
comments from other wreckers who have them as to their operation. Are
they a worthwhile investment? Perhaps I should just buy a better bag for
my large DC. All comments and advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar
רררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררר

Bob G

Sir Edgar wrote:

Thanks for all the prompt responses and the good advice contained
therein. I read them all at breakfast this morning. I think that I wll
start looking for a suitable air cleaner to save my 79 year old lungs.
Also I will consider buying a better filter bag for my Delta DC.
Peace to all ~ Sir Edgar
רררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררררר

Dear SIR..

...could not resist that...

I run a dust collector... and also a ceiling mounted Delta air filter
and a floor mounted (home made) air filter and my shop is a heck of a
lot cleaner then it has ever been...

If you are 79 years old I guess you must want to hit 100 ... I myself am
a young 60... and my reason for installing the dust collectors and air
filters is only to have a nice clean relaxing place to goof off in..(my
shop)... I honestly am not interested in protecting my health...I am at
the point in my life where being above ground and breathing each morning
is enough to ensure I have a good day...

Bob Griffiths
(sitting here drinking a cup of coffee and smoking yet another
cigarette...