Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saws, plus....

In lieu of the recent issues concerning non-Sawstop table saws, some
institutions are replacing their table saws, the local tech school
being one of them. Here is another school that is replacing their non-
Sawstop table saw - See the Powermatic listing:
http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.CatSearch . For those
interested, click onto the item for details.

This is not the only saw that has been listed, on this site, this
way.... there has been several. For anyone looking for a good table
saw, or other tool, this site lists many state govt's assets being
sold/auctioned, this way.

It seems not too many folks are aware that these assets are available,
since so few bidders participate. And I suspect not too many folks,
looking for tools, are aware of this particular govt website. For
those of you looking for a tool, etc., here is one way to check out
what your state has to offer, i.e., this govdeals website.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2010 12:21 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Broke my heart. Not to mention trashing my dream of an empire built on
sparkplug platinum profits

Wanna bet he subsequently went into the precious metals business ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:33:41 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

For a zipcode search, the response I kept getting was:

0 locations found within 600 miles of 97526.

Ain't nuttin local to me.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 10:33*am, Sonny wrote:
In lieu of the recent issues concerning non-Sawstop table saws, some
institutions are replacing their table saws, the local tech school
being one of them. *Here is another school that is replacing their non-
Sawstop table saw - See the Powermatic listing:http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.CatSearch*. *For those
interested, click onto the item for details.

Unfortunately, the Saw Stop technology is closing some school's
woodworking class. Our local shop was advised by council that they
needed to upgrade. Can't afford another dollar hit so they are
shutting down instead.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:36:56 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

650 or 800 miles still ain't local.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You live way too close to California, they ain't going to let any thing like
that near.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
On Oct 1, 10:33 am, Sonny wrote:
In lieu of the recent issues concerning non-Sawstop table saws, some
institutions are replacing their table saws, the local tech school
being one of them. Here is another school that is replacing their non-
Sawstop table saw - See the Powermatic
listing:http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.CatSearch . For those
interested, click onto the item for details.

Unfortunately, the Saw Stop technology is closing some school's
woodworking class. Our local shop was advised by council that they
needed to upgrade. Can't afford another dollar hit so they are
shutting down instead.

RonB

Sounds like some English teachers need to take a cut in pay to finance the
new saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You're closer than me. 900 miles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
People have been bitchin about the cost of public schools for as long as
I can remember which is the late 1940s.

Time to wake up and smell the roses.

Education isn't cheap and as a country we are getting our academic clocks
cleaned by other countries who recognize reality.

Lew

If we got a better return on investment, they'd bitch less. We are #1 in
spending, but #10 in education. I'll continue to bitch, thank you. Money
is not the problem, but we keep throwing more money at it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

650 or 800 miles still ain't local.

You're closer than me. 900 miles.

1,224 miles from me. Hmmmm.

The listings change. Be patient. Maybe next week, month, year a
listing, of interest, will be nearer to you. Seems not all states
have listings on this site, though. Zip 97526 is in Oregon... the
Oregon State surplus website has several drill presses (federal
listing) listed. Also, an institution, having a listing on the
govdeals site, may not be listing all their assets, i.e., not govt
related. Click onto "their other assets" link, to see what else they
may have to offer.

One of my reasons for this posting/thread: Some months ago, Bill (I
don't recall his user name, here), from Indiana, posted a link of a
table saw being sold at an estate auction. He asked for our opinion
of the saw. He didn't win the bid. Since then, I've occasionally
scanned several auction sites, to see if there is a saw available in
the Indiana area, to post it for him. Hopefully, Bill will see it....
and others, also, wanting to invest in good/reasonable tools.

I've purchased a few tools, via these types of auctions, including
several industrial sewing machines for my upholstery. Though I don't
need anymore large tools, I still like to "window shop" on these
sites.... and maybe spot something that someone like Bill can benefit
from.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 23:41:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If we got a better return on investment, they'd bitch less. We are #1
in spending, but #10 in education. I'll continue to bitch, thank you.
Money is not the problem, but we keep throwing more money at it.

That seems to be the case. I suspect part of it is the public school
mission to educate every child, regardless of ability.

When I went to school (in the dark ages) if a child was extra stupid he/
she flunked and stayed in grade. If a child was exceptionally smart he/
she skipped a grade.

Now the practice seems to be to lower the education level so the stupid
can pass (or to pass them regardless) and have "enrichment" classes for
the smart. The kids in the middle, the majority, are the ones who get
hurt by these policies.

And the practices of our colleges and universities are similar, at least
in effect.

I don't have a solution, but I remember a comment in a book called
"Memoirs of a Superfluous Man" by Nock. He claimed to be the last
generation given a "classical" education and bemoaned the loss of such
until a friend pointed out that the vast majority of students were not
educable (in the classical sense) they were only trainable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-01 21:32:51 -0400, "Leon" said:

Sounds like some English teachers need to take a cut in pay to finance
the new saw.

Nope - dump some administrators. That's where the high dollars are
spent (uselessly, in the main).

Or do you just hate English teachers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-01 23:41:43 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" said:

If we got a better return on investment, they'd bitch less. We are #1
in spending, but #10 in education. I'll continue to bitch, thank you.
Money is not the problem, but we keep throwing more money at it.

How do you measure return? Scores on standardized testing? That just
might lead to "teaching to the test," particularly if bone-headed
teacher compensation schemes are tided to those results.

"No Child Left Behind*" was NOT an educational intitiative.

*or "No child left unrecruited," as a partion of that package required
school systems to forward student information to the military.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-01 23:49:39 -0400, "CW" said:

Contrast that with ours who's main interest is protecting their own.

And this differs from, oh, say, the UAW how? DAGS GM Stamping plant
closure +Indianapolis In this case, the national got it, local union
leaders f'ed over their co-workers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-02 08:27:15 -0400, Larry Jaques
said:

C'mon, Lew. Schools are being top-loaded with million dollar
principals and admins, and gov't regulations on safety ensure that the
buildings cost quintuple the amount they should while being not being
much safer, if any. It's all paperwork bull****. (see lead, asbestos,
and other abatements, etc.)

Your liberal unions have made firing bad teachers a thing of the past,
too, while forcing out shop classes and forcing in useless classes.

Schools should be privatized.

I will concur with your first graf, disagree with both arguments in
your second, and remind you with the third that all generalizations are
false...

There are some charter schools of which I'm aware that make public
schools look like the hallmarks of academe. And there are plenty of
"adult educational programs" that are run largely to sell largely
useless high-dollar "courses of instruction" that leave students
unemployed, uneducated, and with huge student loans at the end of the
program. These differ only in the cost from the diploma mills that used
to advertise (in small ads in the back pages of magazines) a "Doctorate
degree" for a couple-hundred bucks...

Posted to rec.woodworking

g.com...
On 2010-10-01 23:49:39 -0400, "CW" said:

Contrast that with ours who's main interest is protecting their own.

And this differs from, oh, say, the UAW how?

It doesn't. How does this relate to the subject?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-01 21:32:51 -0400, "Leon" said:

Sounds like some English teachers need to take a cut in pay to
finance the new saw.

Nope - dump some administrators. That's where the high dollars are
spent (uselessly, in the main).

MORE administrators will be needed to monitor, advise, and enforce the rules
surrounding the new saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:

How do you measure return? Scores on standardized testing? That just
might lead to "teaching to the test," particularly if bone-headed
teacher compensation schemes are tided to those results.

Teaching to the test is often touted as as reason against standardized
testing. Maybe... maybe not so much. At least if they teach to the test,
the kids come out learning something - the stuff that is on the test. And
that's not a bad thing. If the subject is math, and the test is a math test
(what a thought...), then teaching to the test is bad in what respect?

"No Child Left Behind*" was NOT an educational intitiative.

Nothing originated by politicians is an educational initiative.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

g.com...
On 2010-10-01 23:41:43 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" said:

If we got a better return on investment, they'd bitch less. We are #1 in
spending, but #10 in education. I'll continue to bitch, thank you.
Money is not the problem, but we keep throwing more money at it.

How do you measure return? Scores on standardized testing? That just might
lead to "teaching to the test," particularly if bone-headed teacher
compensation schemes are tided to those results.

"No Child Left Behind*" was NOT an educational intitiative.

*or "No child left unrecruited," as a partion of that package required
school systems to forward student information to the military.

How do you measure return? We already have data to tell us how to teach for
the best return. Look back to when we were less dissatisfied in the results
in our educational system, use that method again.
Dumbing down the system so that every one is accepted, dumbs down the
country as a whole. The education system that was turning out rocket
scientists back in the 50's and 60's seemed to work the best IMHO.

No child left behind is ridiculous. Not all dumb kids can be made smarter
but all smart kids can be made to be dumber.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbell.dotnet says...

g.com...
On 2010-10-01 23:41:43 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" said:

[...]

Except that it wasn't turning out rocket scientists, it was turning out
Hippies. You have to go back to WWII or before to find a system that
was turning out rocket scientists.

The big problem is that we have this attitude that _everybody_, no
matter how _stupid_ they are, has to graduate from high school, so high
school doesn't mean anything anymore.

No child left behind is ridiculous. Not all dumb kids can be made smarter
but all smart kids can be made to be dumber.

Yep. I'm fine with the notion of educating everyone to the limit of his
abilities, but not with the notion that everybody can or should be
educated to the same level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2010 9:17 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Yep. I'm fine with the notion of educating everyone to the limit of his
abilities, but not with the notion that everybody can or should be
educated to the same level.

England had a Tripartite System where there was a fork in the education
road at the "Eleven Plus" exams. Basically, your performance at 11 or 12
years old dictated your suitability for secondary education.

As a result, living and workng in England in the early sixties, it was
hard not be impressed with the educational level of the general
population in ALL walks of life.

I thought it was a helluva sensible system ... probably went away with
political correctness.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2010 9:17 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In articleh9Gdncxe5JZCSTTRnZ2dnUVZ5qqdnZ2d@giganews. com, lcb11211
@swbell.dotnet says...
[...]

Hooray for everybody!

--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Except that it wasn't turning out rocket scientists, it was turning
out Hippies. You have to go back to WWII or before to find a system
that was turning out rocket scientists.

Huh? The advances surrounding the space race were largely a product of
young minds coming out of engineering schools in the 60's. That era sure
did turn out rocket scientists.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
J. Clarke wrote:

Except that it wasn't turning out rocket scientists, it was turning
out Hippies. You have to go back to WWII or before to find a system
that was turning out rocket scientists.

Huh? The advances surrounding the space race were largely a product of
young minds coming out of engineering schools in the 60's. That era sure
did turn out rocket scientists.

--

-Mike-

And who the heck was responsible for launching and flying and monitoring the
shuttles? Sure, there was a lot of young blood in there, but there were a
few old farts kicking around, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Except that it wasn't turning out rocket scientists, it was turning
out Hippies. You have to go back to WWII or before to find a system
that was turning out rocket scientists.

Huh? The advances surrounding the space race were largely a product of
young minds coming out of engineering schools in the 60's. That era sure
did turn out rocket scientists.

That is what I was thinkining, not to take away proper credit to those with
great accomplishments prior to that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Except that it wasn't turning out rocket scientists, it was turning
out Hippies. You have to go back to WWII or before to find a system
that was turning out rocket scientists.

Huh? The advances surrounding the space race were largely a product of
young minds coming out of engineering schools in the 60's. That era sure
did turn out rocket scientists.

--

-Mike-

And who the heck was responsible for launching and flying and monitoring
the shuttles? Sure, there was a lot of young blood in there, but there
were a few old farts kicking around, too.

These are the smart guys too but they did not so much have to figure out how
to get to the moon or to survive a launch they only had to improve on what
had been previousely learned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbell.dotnet says...

J. Clarke wrote:

Except that it wasn't turning out rocket scientists, it was turning
out Hippies. You have to go back to WWII or before to find a system
that was turning out rocket scientists.

Huh? The advances surrounding the space race were largely a product of
young minds coming out of engineering schools in the 60's. That era sure
did turn out rocket scientists.

That is what I was thinkining, not to take away proper credit to those with
great accomplishments prior to that.

Never forget that it was Von Braun's program, and he graduated before
WWII. It wasn't a bunch of fresh-out-of-school kids doing the work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:21:34 -0500, "Leon"

ng.com...
On 2010-10-01 23:41:43 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" said:

[...]

Yeah, back when I was in school, I may not have liked all my teachers,
but I respected and obeyed all of them. Kids nowadays don't seem to
do that at all.

No child left behind is ridiculous. Not all dumb kids can be made smarter
but all smart kids can be made to be dumber.

No child left behind = No kid gets ahead.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, back when I was in school, I may not have liked all my teachers,
but I respected and obeyed all of them. Kids nowadays don't seem to
do that at all.

Lots of them don't even respect and obey their parent (s).
But that's only half the story. There are lots of good kids out there
too. Everybody can probably name a few.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/10 6:09 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:21:34 -0500,
No child left behind is ridiculous. Not all dumb kids can be made smarter
but all smart kids can be made to be dumber.

No child left behind = No kid gets ahead.

Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too. --Judge Smails

:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
"Mike Marlow" writes:

Teaching to the test is often touted as as reason against standardized
testing. Maybe... maybe not so much. At least if they teach to the test,
the kids come out learning something - the stuff that is on the test. And
that's not a bad thing. If the subject is math, and the test is a math test
(what a thought...), then teaching to the test is bad in what respect?

[I try to stay out of these things, just posting to clarify, not debate.]

The difficulty in standardized tests is doing it well, which is a
hell of lot of work and requires pretty good understanding of the
language of the bubble-form. I did my undergrad work at a university
that was centered around a testing center. I had professors (or
perhaps professors' assistants) who knew how to draft a machine
scored test that was meaningful.

But most of the tests were fluff.

Lacking that involvement (and on *standardized* testing, the effort
is from some test selling company, not the school system) you get
tests of fact recall, or sometimes good guessing skills. (I had
one high school teacher who taught that, though he called it
"estimating.") As some say, that's better than nothing. But it
doesn't reflect much on the quality of education in the subject
area.

Much like real work, real testing is Hard.

I've had terrible teachers. I've had wonderful teachers. And I've
had teachers who may have been marking time until retirement. I
learned the most from the wonderful, the second most from the
terrible ("No man is useless, he can always serve as a counter-example.")
and I learned the least from the uninvolved space fillers.

It is my opinion that a primary focus on standardized testing
encourages teachers to be space fillers.

[This is Usenet, it should go without saying that I could be wrong.]

--
Drew Lawson | We were taking a vote when
| the ground came up and hit us.
| -- Cylon warrior
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:19:55 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, back when I was in school, I may not have liked all my teachers,
but I respected and obeyed all of them. Kids nowadays don't seem to
do that at all.

Lots of them don't even respect and obey their parent (s).
But that's only half the story. There are lots of good kids out there
too. Everybody can probably name a few.

It just appears that things are different now than when we went to
school. Pocket knives were OK then.

Now I read about some schools where metal detectors are being
installed at all school entrances, armed guards man the hallways--and
sometimes in the classrooms.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-04 09:21:34 -0400, "Leon" said:

Dumbing down the system so that every one is accepted, dumbs down the
country as a whole.

Ref.: "Idiocracy"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:19:55 -0400, wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, back when I was in school, I may not have liked all my teachers,
but I respected and obeyed all of them. Kids nowadays don't seem to
do that at all.

Lots of them don't even respect and obey their parent (s).
But that's only half the story. There are lots of good kids out there
too. Everybody can probably name a few.

It just appears that things are different now than when we went to
school. Pocket knives were OK then.

Now I read about some schools where metal detectors are being
installed at all school entrances, armed guards man the hallways--and
sometimes in the classrooms.

Yep, kids today seem to be better armed... The prospect of being cut or
shot did not seem like a possibility when we went to high school.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-04 19:19:55 -0400, Bill said:

Lots of them don't even respect and obey their parent (s).
But that's only half the story. There are lots of good kids out there
too. Everybody can probably name a few.

Bill

The horrible examples -- like the girl who walked back into my wife's
classroom after having been called to the office and announced to the
room as she pointed at Jane, "That bitch wrote me up" -- are the easy
proof that bad get more notice than good. But she should have checked
behind her. The Vice Principal was there, and the girl's no longer
going to be attending school.

And no, that apple did not fall far from the tree.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Except that it wasn't turning out rocket scientists, it was turning
out Hippies. You have to go back to WWII or before to find a system
that was turning out rocket scientists.

Huh? The advances surrounding the space race were largely a product
of young minds coming out of engineering schools in the 60's. That
era sure did turn out rocket scientists.

--

-Mike-

And who the heck was responsible for launching and flying and
monitoring the shuttles? Sure, there was a lot of young blood in
there, but there were a few old farts kicking around, too.

Steve

That does not dispute my statement above.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 22:27:57 -0400, Steve

On 2010-10-04 09:21:34 -0400, "Leon" said:

Dumbing down the system so that every one is accepted, dumbs down the
country as a whole.

Ref.: "Idiocracy"

The USA in self-fulfilling prophecy, unfortunately.
Scary, scary movie.

table saws again Fred UK diy 32 March 5th 10 01:50 PM
How do SawStop Table Saws Compare as Saws? woodworker88 Woodworking 8 August 11th 05 04:42 AM
table saws Roonaldo Woodworking 14 September 20th 04 02:41 PM
Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw? Tim Nicholson UK diy 6 May 9th 04 11:29 AM
table saws? simon beer UK diy 13 October 24th 03 06:20 PM