Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saws, plus....

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:21:34 -0500, "Leon"

ng.com...
On 2010-10-01 23:41:43 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" said:

If we got a better return on investment, they'd bitch less. We are #1 in
spending, but #10 in education. I'll continue to bitch, thank you.
Money is not the problem, but we keep throwing more money at it.

How do you measure return? Scores on standardized testing? That just might
lead to "teaching to the test," particularly if bone-headed teacher
compensation schemes are tided to those results.

"No Child Left Behind*" was NOT an educational intitiative.

*or "No child left unrecruited," as a partion of that package required
school systems to forward student information to the military.

How do you measure return? We already have data to tell us how to teach for
the best return. Look back to when we were less dissatisfied in the results
in our educational system, use that method again.
Dumbing down the system so that every one is accepted, dumbs down the
country as a whole. The education system that was turning out rocket
scientists back in the 50's and 60's seemed to work the best IMHO.

Yeah, back when I was in school, I may not have liked all my teachers,
but I respected and obeyed all of them. Kids nowadays don't seem to
do that at all.

No child left behind is ridiculous. Not all dumb kids can be made smarter
but all smart kids can be made to be dumber.

No child left behind = No kid gets ahead.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.