Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fein Vacuums: Auot-Start Load?

I should be getting a Fein Turbo II this weekend. I've been thinking about
how I will use it, and for most jobs, I won't want to use the auto-start
feature. I assume the load runs off the same cord as the vacuum, and I
have my shop wired specifically so my vacuum runs off a different breaker
from my machines.

It would still be nice to be able to turn the vacuum on & off remotely. I
have another vacuum that I run with a foot pedal switch like this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5465

It occured to me that I might be able to rig a custom remote that uses the
auto-start feature. For example, if it is sensitive enough, I could use a
switch connected to a small load resistor or a night-light bulb. I've got
plenty of wire & even a nice "pendant" switch that I could use. However, I
don't want to have to run an extra 100 W light bulb. Does anyone have any
idea what the minimum load requirment is to activate the auto-start?

Thanks!

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug White wrote in
:

[...]

5W. It'll be stated right on the vacuum next to the outlet.

Bonus data: The max load is around 2000W. That's harder to find.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in news:4ca3cf52$0$23828
:

Doug White wrote in
:

[...]

Excellent! Thanks! That means a 7W night light bulb will work just
fine.

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
It occured to me that I might be able to rig a custom remote that uses
the auto-start feature.

Why do you need to use the autostart feature? Leave the vacuum switched on
and plug it directly into a foot activated switch. For that, you don't need
any load at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

A classic case of where a magnetic motor starter on the table saw with
an extra aux contact to control the Fein not only improves safety but
simplifies the control circuitry.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Triac? Simple.
-------------------
Not quite, no mechanical isolation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If the Fein works like the Festool, my 14W floresent lamp will not trigger
the auto on. My Makita 12v charger will trigger it to turn on if there is a
battery being charged, otherwise no.

IF you are concerned about blowing a breaker with both a tool and the vac
coming on at the same time, the Festool has a delay to start a couple of
seconds after the tool is turned on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fein Vacuums: Auto-Start Load?

"Leon" wrote in message
If the Fein works like the Festool, my 14W floresent lamp will not trigger
the auto on. My Makita 12v charger will trigger it to turn on if there is
a battery being charged, otherwise no.

I was talking about this in the Festool Owners Group. For the Festool vacuum
anyway, a 60 watt bulb was sufficient to activate the auto on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Leon" wrote in message
If the Fein works like the Festool, my 14W floresent lamp will not
trigger the auto on. My Makita 12v charger will trigger it to turn
on if there is a battery being charged, otherwise no.

I was talking about this in the Festool Owners Group. For the Festool
vacuum anyway, a 60 watt bulb was sufficient to activate the auto on.

If you get a lamp and install a red light bulb, when the vac is on the
light could be too.

FWIW, there's three modes on the Fein: On, Autostart, and Off. The
outlet is live through all modes, so it just senses current draw and
turns on. There's probably no need to do anything fancier than just plug
the vacuum in to a switched outlet and turn that on and off.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
I was talking about this in the Festool Owners Group. For the Festool
vacuum anyway, a 60 watt bulb was sufficient to activate the auto on.

If you get a lamp and install a red light bulb, when the vac is on the
light could be too.

Not sure why you're using a "red" light bulb for your example, but my
original query on FOG had to do with an extension one could plug into the
autostart outlet, something with just a switch on the end of it that you
could essentially place anywhere you wanted it. My electronics knowledge is
all but non-existent so I was wondering if there was some minature power
drawing device that could be placed in the extension as the impetus to
activate the autostart feature. And, as mentioned, the lowest power drawing
device that anyone has come up with so far is the 60 watt light bulb, which
might be useful, but certainly is not small enough to "bury" in an extension
cord.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
If you get a lamp and install a red light bulb, when the vac is on
the light could be too.

Not sure why you're using a "red" light bulb for your example, but my
original query on FOG had to do with an extension one could plug into
the autostart outlet, something with just a switch on the end of it
that you could essentially place anywhere you wanted it. My
electronics knowledge is all but non-existent so I was wondering if
there was some minature power drawing device that could be placed in
the extension as the impetus to activate the autostart feature. And,
as mentioned, the lowest power drawing device that anyone has come up
with so far is the 60 watt light bulb, which might be useful, but
certainly is not small enough to "bury" in an extension cord.

The red light bulb is just for the cool factor. The OP could put it
outside above the door with a sign that says "Do not enter while red
light is on."

A resistor would fit the bill, but by the time you got one large enough
to dissipate the heat for such a large draw, you're probably in light
bulb territory anyway. How about a terranium heater? It uses a standard
light bulb socket, but produces only heat. Use a standard trouble light,
and the extension cord switch is easy.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Foot Pedal Switches (Was: Fein Vacuums: Auto-Start Load?)

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
It occured to me that I might be able to rig a custom remote that
uses the auto-start feature.

Why do you need to use the autostart feature? Leave the vacuum
switched on and plug it directly into a foot activated switch. For
that, you don't need any load at all.

That's definitely an option. I have one on another vac, but it's fairly
small & light, and tends to move around a lot. There are only a few
different ones on the market. Once you've eliminated the momentary contact
& variable speed models, I've found the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Foot-Switc.../dp/B000H5I0V4
(This is the one I have, and you have to press down on one end to turn it
on, and on the other end to turn it off, which is a bit fussy. The cord
has a stacking plug, so both the switch & the tool plug in at the outlet.)

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9089-Switch-Continuous-
Running/dp/B000LJNJOY/ref=pd_cp_hi_0
(A bit larger, and appears to be plastic. Tool plugs into the back, which
isn't quite as tidy. Several reviews say it's light and/or flimsy.)

http://lectricair.com/products/lectr...hes/alternate-
action-foot-switch/
(This one is pneumatic. The rubber bulbs tend to degrade & leak, but
replacements are cheap)

All of them could be bolted to a weighted plate, but it would be nice if
that wasn't necessary.

The one I have has been reliable. I suppose I could get a second and make
two plates & fix both of them, but the rocking action is a little annoying.
The plug setup is nice.

Anyone know of any I've missed?

Thanks!

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
[...]

This one works well for me:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...d_control.html

or :
http://tinyurl.com/ylewdap

(bottom of the page)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug White writes:
"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
It occured to me that I might be able to rig a custom remote that
uses the auto-start feature.

Why do you need to use the autostart feature? Leave the vacuum
switched on and plug it directly into a foot activated switch. For
that, you don't need any load at all.

That's definitely an option. I have one on another vac, but it's fairly
small & light, and tends to move around a lot. There are only a few
different ones on the market. Once you've eliminated the momentary contact
& variable speed models, I've found the following:

[elided]

Anyone know of any I've missed?

http://www.linemaster.com/Industrial/Footswitch.aspx

axirr

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in
eb.com:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Upscale" wrote in
:

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Foot-Switc...ing/dp/B000H5I

http://lectricair.com/products/lectr...switches/alter
nate- action-foot-switch/
(This one is pneumatic. The rubber bulbs tend to degrade & leak, but
replacements are cheap)

All of them could be bolted to a weighted plate, but it would be nice
if that wasn't necessary.

The one I have has been reliable. I suppose I could get a second and
make two plates & fix both of them, but the rocking action is a
little annoying.
The plug setup is nice.

Anyone know of any I've missed?

Thanks!

Doug White

This one works well for me:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...rthtml/pages/s
peed_control.html

I'm looking for a FOOT switch. This is for a vacuum, which I believe has
it's own speed control. My experience is that 2 speed controls in series
is usually a bad idea, even if one is set full on. The noise from one
causes the other to freak out.

I just want a switch that turns full on with one push, and off with a
second. Not variable speed, and not something I have to stand on to
operate, i.e. momentary contact.

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking

(Scott Lurndal) wrote in
:

Doug White writes:
"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
It occured to me that I might be able to rig a custom remote that
uses the auto-start feature.

Why do you need to use the autostart feature? Leave the vacuum
switched on and plug it directly into a foot activated switch. For
that, you don't need any load at all.

That's definitely an option. I have one on another vac, but it's
fairly small & light, and tends to move around a lot. There are only
a few different ones on the market. Once you've eliminated the
momentary contact & variable speed models, I've found the following:

[elided]

Anyone know of any I've missed?

http://www.linemaster.com/Industrial/Footswitch.aspx

Thanks! The Aquiline near the bottom looks very nice. These are just
switches, so I'd have to wire up my own cord(s). I'd really like to find
a cord with a stacking plug and the "hot" wire interrupted. That's how
the one I have now is setup, and it reduces the number of cords running
around a bit. Maybe I could get a replacement cord for the one I have &
install it on the Aquiline switch.

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Max" wrote in
eb.com:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
[...]

Uh...........It's at the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.
It's NOT variable speed. It's NOT momentary contact. Step on it to turn it
on; step on it to turn it off.
It doesn't get much simpler than that. I have two of them. They work just
fine.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in
eb.com:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Max" wrote in
eb.com:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Upscale" wrote in
:

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Foot-Switc...rking/dp/B000H

http://lectricair.com/products/lectr...t-switches/alt

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...marthtml/pages
/s peed_control.html

I'm looking for a FOOT switch. This is for a vacuum, which I believe
has it's own speed control. My experience is that 2 speed controls
in series is usually a bad idea, even if one is set full on. The
noise from one causes the other to freak out.

I just want a switch that turns full on with one push, and off with a
second. Not variable speed, and not something I have to stand on to
operate, i.e. momentary contact.

Doug White

Uh...........It's at the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.
It's NOT variable speed. It's NOT momentary contact. Step on it to
turn it on; step on it to turn it off.
It doesn't get much simpler than that. I have two of them. They work
just fine.

Sorry about that, I didn't scroll down far enough. Several reviews claim
these are fairly light, and that they tend to move around, or get dragged
by the cords. Do you find that is an issue?

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
Thanks! The Aquiline near the bottom looks very nice. These are just
switches, so I'd have to wire up my own cord(s). I'd really like to find
a cord with a stacking plug and the "hot" wire interrupted.

I don't know if you saw them, but if you scroll down far enough, there's a
double and a triple Linemaster device activation box. Or maybe you might
just want to go simple with a switched outlet. They have a switch in place
of a one of the regular outlet plugs and can be wired to turn the adjacent
plug on and off. Install one of these into a regular outlet box, plug a
vacuum into it and flick the switch when you want it on.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Max" wrote in
eb.com:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Max" wrote in
eb.com:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
[...]

On the bottoms of the switches I put some material that I bought to line the
shelves in my RV.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-liners/6901
I think the Borgs have it too.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/10 12:40 PM, Doug White wrote:
Sorry about that, I didn't scroll down far enough. Several reviews claim
these are fairly light, and that they tend to move around, or get dragged
by the cords. Do you find that is an issue?

Doug White

Yes, and I already had to repair it. But I got it when it was like 10
bucks with free shipping, when I bought a bigger item. I think it's
worth it and I've thought about screwing it down to something heavier or
replacing the bottom with some steel and a rubber pad.

BTW, it's this...
http://www.harborfreight.com/momentary-power-foot-switch-96619.html

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

?

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
.com...
"Upscale" wrote in
:

[...]

Why a large draw? I thought that the threshold to turn the vacuum on was
very small. The vacuum isn't in series.

Mark

you're probably in light
bulb territory anyway. How about a terranium heater? It uses a standard
light bulb socket, but produces only heat. Use a standard trouble light,
and the extension cord switch is easy.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
Thanks! The Aquiline near the bottom looks very nice. These are
just switches, so I'd have to wire up my own cord(s). I'd really
like to find a cord with a stacking plug and the "hot" wire
interrupted.

I don't know if you saw them, but if you scroll down far enough,
there's a double and a triple Linemaster device activation box. Or
maybe you might just want to go simple with a switched outlet. They
have a switch in place of a one of the regular outlet plugs and can be
wired to turn the adjacent plug on and off. Install one of these into
a regular outlet box, plug a vacuum into it and flick the switch when
you want it on.

If you dig deep enough, they list exactly what I was looking for:

http://tinyurl.com/2annw8v

This is a fairly heavy (13 oz) all metal switch, with a push-on/push-off
activation. It isn't obvious, but the Model 971-DC3JM has a little link
next to it to a note that says it comes with an 8 foot cord and the 3
prong adapter plug that you can put in series with the power plug to the
tool.

The trick is that they list it, but no one seems to sell them. Allied
Electronics sells the plastic version:

http://tinyurl.com/27o5h9y

but this weighs about 1/4 what the all-metal one does. I have a query in
to the company to see if they sell direct, or can recommend a
distributor.

As an aside, I just got my Fein Turbo II vacuum, and although it is very
quiet, the switch configuration is really poor. It's hidden below a lip,
and you have to operate it by feel unless you want to kneel down. I'm
_definitely_ going to put a foot switch on this puppy.

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark M" wrote in
:

?

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
.com...

*trim*

A resistor would fit the bill, but by the time you got one large
enough to dissipate the heat for such a large draw,

Why a large draw? I thought that the threshold to turn the vacuum on
was very small. The vacuum isn't in series.

Mark

Right... the current draw (scribbles on screen) is only .041A, which in
most things is miniscule. However, looking at the total power needed, a
simple 1/8W or 1/4W resistor probably isn't going to cut it.

Puckdropper (Minus 2 pts for using a technical term incorrectly.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug White wrote in
:

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
[...]

I called the company, and they sell direct. ~ $60 for the all metal #
971-DC3JM with the stacking plug switch cord. That's a good bit more
than a lot of the foot switches on the market, but it appears to be a
much better switch. I'll know in a few days...

Doug White