Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Foot Pedal Switches (Was: Fein Vacuums: Auto-Start Load?)

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Max" wrote in
eb.com:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Max" wrote in
eb.com:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
It occured to me that I might be able to rig a custom remote
that uses the auto-start feature.

Why do you need to use the autostart feature? Leave the vacuum
switched on and plug it directly into a foot activated switch. For
that, you don't need any load at all.

That's definitely an option. I have one on another vac, but it's
fairly small & light, and tends to move around a lot. There are
only a few different ones on the market. Once you've eliminated
the momentary contact
& variable speed models, I've found the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Foot-Switc...rking/dp/B000H
5I 0V4 (This is the one I have, and you have to press down on one
end to turn it on, and on the other end to turn it off, which is a
bit fussy. The cord has a stacking plug, so both the switch & the
tool plug in at the outlet.)

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9089-Switch-Continuous-
Running/dp/B000LJNJOY/ref=pd_cp_hi_0
(A bit larger, and appears to be plastic. Tool plugs into the
back, which isn't quite as tidy. Several reviews say it's light
and/or flimsy.)

http://lectricair.com/products/lectr...t-switches/alt
er nate- action-foot-switch/
(This one is pneumatic. The rubber bulbs tend to degrade & leak,
but replacements are cheap)

All of them could be bolted to a weighted plate, but it would be
nice if that wasn't necessary.

The one I have has been reliable. I suppose I could get a second
and make two plates & fix both of them, but the rocking action is a
little annoying.
The plug setup is nice.

Anyone know of any I've missed?

Thanks!

Doug White

This one works well for me:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...marthtml/pages
/s peed_control.html

I'm looking for a FOOT switch. This is for a vacuum, which I believe
has it's own speed control. My experience is that 2 speed controls
in series is usually a bad idea, even if one is set full on. The
noise from one causes the other to freak out.

I just want a switch that turns full on with one push, and off with a
second. Not variable speed, and not something I have to stand on to
operate, i.e. momentary contact.

Doug White

Uh...........It's at the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.
It's NOT variable speed. It's NOT momentary contact. Step on it to
turn it on; step on it to turn it off.
It doesn't get much simpler than that. I have two of them. They work
just fine.

Sorry about that, I didn't scroll down far enough. Several reviews claim
these are fairly light, and that they tend to move around, or get dragged
by the cords. Do you find that is an issue?

Doug White

On the bottoms of the switches I put some material that I bought to line the
shelves in my RV.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-liners/6901
I think the Borgs have it too.

Max