Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grizzly Polar Bear Series

Any scoop on the "new" line of "P" series "Polar Bear" tools from
Grizzly. We were getting geared up to take a run to Springfield
during the next day or two to buy a G0453 15" planer. Now they have
thrown in the "P" version at a lower introductory price and claim it
is identical to the basic except for paint and a new switch mast (and
the price). I could care less about the white paint but the switch
mast is kind of nice.

I am a suspicious Irish kind of guy and wonder if any of you have
experience with the new line of tools.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:43:03 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

Any scoop on the "new" line of "P" series "Polar Bear" tools from
Grizzly. We were getting geared up to take a run to Springfield
during the next day or two to buy a G0453 15" planer. Now they have
thrown in the "P" version at a lower introductory price and claim it
is identical to the basic except for paint and a new switch mast (and
the price). I could care less about the white paint but the switch
mast is kind of nice.

I am a suspicious Irish kind of guy and wonder if any of you have
experience with the new line of tools.

I was all set to buy a G0715P but my dentist ended up with most of the
seed money. sigh

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Any scoop on the "new" line of "P" series "Polar Bear" tools from
Grizzly. *We were getting geared up to take a run to Springfield
during the next day or two to buy a G0453 15" planer. *Now they have
thrown in the "P" version at a lower introductory price and claim it
is identical to the basic except for paint and a new switch mast (and
the price). *I could care less about the white paint but the switch
mast is kind of nice.

I am a suspicious Irish kind of guy and wonder if any of you have
experience with the new line of tools.

I was all set to buy a G0715P but my dentist ended up with most of the
seed money. *sigh

Did he happen to mention whether your teeth were raker, hook, or ...
how many TPI ? ;-)

Hopefully, they weren't skip ....
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Any scoop on the "new" line of "P" series "Polar Bear" tools from
Grizzly. *We were getting geared up to take a run to Springfield
during the next day or two to buy a G0453 15" planer. *Now they have
thrown in the "P" version at a lower introductory price and claim it
is identical to the basic except for paint and a new switch mast (and
the price). *I could care less about the white paint but the switch
mast is kind of nice.

I am a suspicious Irish kind of guy and wonder if any of you have
experience with the new line of tools.

I was all set to buy a G0715P but my dentist ended up with most of the
seed money. *sigh

That bites!

Not any more. The one crown which had detached and he glued back on
just popped back off half an hour ago while eating potato chips. Well,
I got 2 good weeks out of the $80 glue job.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Any scoop on the "new" line of "P" series "Polar Bear" tools from
Grizzly. We were getting geared up to take a run to Springfield
during the next day or two to buy a G0453 15" planer. Now they have
thrown in the "P" version at a lower introductory price and claim
it is identical to the basic except for paint and a new switch
mast (and the price). I could care less about the white paint but
the switch mast is kind of nice.

I am a suspicious Irish kind of guy and wonder if any of you have
experience with the new line of tools.

I was all set to buy a G0715P but my dentist ended up with most of
the seed money. sigh

That bites!

Not any more. The one crown which had detached and he glued back on
just popped back off half an hour ago while eating potato chips. Well,
I got 2 good weeks out of the $80 glue job.

channelling lew: epoxy. maybe some microballoons added.

or you could try http://thistothat.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You knew the drill before you went there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 20, 4:43*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:12:14 -0700 (PDT), marc rosen

Not any more. *The one crown which had detached and he glued back on
just popped back off half an hour ago while eating potato chips. Well,
I got 2 good weeks out of the $80 glue job.

Hee Hee. Reminds me of my mom. Years ago she was working in the
kitchen when an old crown came loose and landed on the cabinet. She
didn't have time for the dentist so she looked around the room and saw
a bottle of the old Elmer's white glue. Put a dab inside of the crown
and shoved it back in place. Life was good.

A year or two later she was having her teeth cleaned and the dentist
popped the crown loose during the procedure. He apologized all over
the place, cleaned the crown and replaced it with proper adhesive.

He must have remained in an apologetic frame of mind because mom left
the office with one of his philodendrons.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
On Sep 20, 4:43 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

My brother-in-law tried glueing his crown back on using super glue. He
ended up going to the dentist to have his finger unstuck from the crown.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That bites!

Not any more. The one crown which had detached and he glued back on
just popped back off half an hour ago while eating potato chips. Well,
I got 2 good weeks out of the $80 glue job.

channelling lew: epoxy. maybe some microballoons added.

or you could try http://thistothat.com

And end up gluing my tongue to my palate? That'd be awkward.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:29:17 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Right. The experiment failed, but I'm still ****ed at the whole situ.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:25:50 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

On Sep 20, 4:43*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:12:14 -0700 (PDT), marc rosen

Not any more. *The one crown which had detached and he glued back on
just popped back off half an hour ago while eating potato chips. Well,
I got 2 good weeks out of the $80 glue job.

Hee Hee. Reminds me of my mom. Years ago she was working in the
kitchen when an old crown came loose and landed on the cabinet. She
didn't have time for the dentist so she looked around the room and saw
a bottle of the old Elmer's white glue. Put a dab inside of the crown
and shoved it back in place. Life was good.

A year or two later she was having her teeth cleaned and the dentist
popped the crown loose during the procedure. He apologized all over
the place, cleaned the crown and replaced it with proper adhesive.

He must have remained in an apologetic frame of mind because mom left
the office with one of his philodendrons.

HAR! Good one, Ron.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:18:06 -0400, Nova wrote:

My brother-in-law tried glueing his crown back on using super glue. He
ended up going to the dentist to have his finger unstuck from the crown.

A little q-tip worth of acetone would have fixed him right up, had he
planned a bit better, Yack. Sest lavvy.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:48:25 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
That bites!

Not any more. *The one crown which had detached and he glued back on
just popped back off half an hour ago while eating potato chips. Well,
I got 2 good weeks out of the $80 glue job.

channelling lew: epoxy. maybe some microballoons added.

or you could tryhttp://thistothat.com

And end up gluing my tongue to my palate? *That'd be awkward.

For some.

Here, have a nice, moist cracker, Toy. It's a Cyano de Bergerac
Special.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 21, 9:10*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:48:25 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:

wrote:
That bites!

Not any more. *The one crown which had detached and he glued back on
just popped back off half an hour ago while eating potato chips. Well,
I got 2 good weeks out of the $80 glue job.

channelling lew: epoxy. maybe some microballoons added.

or you could tryhttp://thistothat.com

And end up gluing my tongue to my palate? *That'd be awkward.

For some.

Here, have a nice, moist cracker, Toy. It's a Cyano de Bergerac
Special.

Smells like bitter almonds.... you sure it's okay?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 21, 8:23*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:10*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Man, this post took on a life of its own!!!! Anybody know anything about the Grizzly Polar Bear line of tools?

Wait a minute.

I guess it doesn't matter as much as it did a few days ago.

We drove to Springfield yesterday and picked up a G0453P.

It is in the garage.

Never Mind ;^}

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Man, this post took on a life of its own!!!! * Anybody know anything about the Grizzly Polar Bear line of tools?

Wait a minute.

I guess it doesn't matter as much as it did a few days ago.

We drove to Springfield yesterday and picked up a G0453P.

It is in the garage.

Never Mind *;^}

RonB

......waitasec.....that's a drive-by.....NICE!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 22, 8:39*pm, Robatoy wrote:
RonB

.....waitasec.....that's a drive-by.....NICE!!!

Yep. And pretty close to being a drive-by Gloat. Also picked up a
2hp Dust Collector and basic start up plumbing kit.

But that is not the Gloat. My wonderful wife has been very close to
nagging me to buy this equipment for several months.

She even helped my unload that 650 pound machine from the trailer last
evening.

Now how is that for a GLOAT?

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2010 5:35 PM, RonB wrote:
On Sep 21, 8:23 am, wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:10 am, Larry
wrote:

Man, this post took on a life of its own!!!! Anybody know anything about the Grizzly Polar Bear line of tools?

Wait a minute.

I guess it doesn't matter as much as it did a few days ago.

We drove to Springfield yesterday and picked up a G0453P.

It is in the garage.

Never Mind ;^}

RonB

Heavy sucker, idn't it? I'm betting you'll like it. I have the green version,
and it's worked flawlessly for me.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 22, 10:30*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
On 9/22/2010 5:35 PM, RonB wrote:

Heavy sucker, idn't it? *I'm betting you'll like it. *I have the green version,
and it's worked flawlessly for me.

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Funny thing - I walked into the store and started talking to the older
fellow (age 72) and he seemed familiar. After comparing notes I
realized he was the same guy who sold me on my 1023S table saw 9 years
ago. I ended up ordering it via internet but he did a good pitch. He
said he worked his way up though the oil industry and went to work for
Grizzly in '2000 to supplement retirement for a couple of years. Then
he realized it was the cushiest job he had ever had and stayed.
Besides, he is a woodworker and they have a lot of toy discounts.
Makes sense!

I made it easy on him this time because we live closer and we arrived
with a trailer. He, like the advertisement, said the G0453P was
supposed to be identical to the G0453 except for color, the improved
switch mast and price. But he also mentioned that the removable front
and back cabinet panels have rounded instead of square corners. The
improved switch mast is much nicer than the original and is being
incorporated into all of the planers in the future. I finished
cleaning and assembly last night (except for power plug) and was very
impressed with overall fit and quality. Those removable panels are
very sturdy. Less impressed with the fact that the gearbox did not
have enough grease in it but I have seen some comments about that. In
fact, in several months of researching this and similar planers,
gearbox grease level was among the worst comments I could find. I can
live with that.

Now I have to put the dust collector together. Opened the box
yesterday afternoon. Reminds me of a train set I started assembling
at midnight on Christmas eve ever several years ago. All parts.

Oh well.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 22, 11:23*pm, RonB wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:39*pm, Robatoy wrote:

RonB

.....waitasec.....that's a drive-by.....NICE!!!

Yep. *And pretty close to being a drive-by Gloat. *Also picked up a
2hp Dust Collector and basic start up plumbing kit.

But that is not the Gloat. *My wonderful wife has been very close to
nagging me to buy this equipment for several months.

She even helped my unload that 650 pound machine from the trailer last
evening.

Now how is that for a GLOAT?

RonB

*tips hat and takes a bow* (All I can hope now is that she didn't pick
it up single-handedly and walk it up a flight of stairs.)

I'm a lucky that way too. When I first retired in 2003, she stood
there, head slightly tilted, hands on hips, listening to my
explanation why I needed a few tools.
7 Years later, she just did the same thing. Once I explain things, and
she buys my story, she's behind me 100%+. She trusts me when I swim
through a pool filled with a bevy of naked Canuckistani Beaver, but
isn't too sure about me when I go to David Eisen's Tool store.
She also knows I pay balance owing when the credit card statements
show up. She also knows to shake her head when I say: "It is only a 4
cylinder engine, dear." But when I add: "NOT like those gas-guzzling
6's and 8's the OTHER people drive!" she tells me to give it a rest.
LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/23/2010 2:41 PM, RonB wrote:
On Sep 22, 10:30 pm, Steve
wrote:
On 9/22/2010 5:35 PM, RonB wrote:

[...]

Actually yes, the gearbox is the one minor nit I have. Not that it was low on
oil (it wasn't), but that after cleaning up the whole machine and using it for
quite a while, I started noticing oil accumulating on the outside of the
machine (and sawdust getting stuck to it). I lived with it for a while, but
then after investigating I found that it was really nothing more than minor
leaks where the hex screws secure the main "gearbox cover" (ref 401 on the
parts diagram) to the gearbox. I removed the outer "gearbox cover" (ref 27,
different than the main "gearbox cover") and tightened the screws holding #401
in place and I haven't had a problem since.

--
Free bad advice available here.