Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Grizzly Polar Bear Series

On Sep 22, 10:30*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
On 9/22/2010 5:35 PM, RonB wrote:

Heavy sucker, idn't it? *I'm betting you'll like it. *I have the green version,
and it's worked flawlessly for me.

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Funny thing - I walked into the store and started talking to the older
fellow (age 72) and he seemed familiar. After comparing notes I
realized he was the same guy who sold me on my 1023S table saw 9 years
ago. I ended up ordering it via internet but he did a good pitch. He
said he worked his way up though the oil industry and went to work for
Grizzly in '2000 to supplement retirement for a couple of years. Then
he realized it was the cushiest job he had ever had and stayed.
Besides, he is a woodworker and they have a lot of toy discounts.
Makes sense!

I made it easy on him this time because we live closer and we arrived
with a trailer. He, like the advertisement, said the G0453P was
supposed to be identical to the G0453 except for color, the improved
switch mast and price. But he also mentioned that the removable front
and back cabinet panels have rounded instead of square corners. The
improved switch mast is much nicer than the original and is being
incorporated into all of the planers in the future. I finished
cleaning and assembly last night (except for power plug) and was very
impressed with overall fit and quality. Those removable panels are
very sturdy. Less impressed with the fact that the gearbox did not
have enough grease in it but I have seen some comments about that. In
fact, in several months of researching this and similar planers,
gearbox grease level was among the worst comments I could find. I can
live with that.

Now I have to put the dust collector together. Opened the box
yesterday afternoon. Reminds me of a train set I started assembling
at midnight on Christmas eve ever several years ago. All parts.

Oh well.

RonB