Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How does one announce he has several hundred board feet of 2X Cherrywood to sell?

All

I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the
proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/10 12:28 AM, Bob AZ wrote:
All

I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the
proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?

Too late now.
:-)
Wish I was closer.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:28:09 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ wrote:

All

I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the
proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?

Send it to me for storage.

The only "proper" way to sell things on the Usenet is to put it in a sig and
talk about something people want to talk about. Anything more is spam. OTOH,
this is the only sort of SPAM that's likely to get me to drool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob AZ wrote:

All

I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the
proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?

Bob AZ

Where in AZ are you at Bob? ... and how much do you want for it?

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:28:09 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ wrote:

All

I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the
proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?

Bob AZ

I think you've done fine.. IMHO, it's only spam if you're a professional, not a
one time thing..

8/4 by what??
Just wondering if it's wide enough for bowl blanks..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the
proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?

Bob *AZ

* Where in AZ are you at Bob? *... and how much do you want for it?

Rob Leatham

Tucson. $5.00 a board foot.

Have a FAX number?

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

8/4 by what??
Just wondering if it's wide enough for bowl blanks..

Mac

From 6" to 12".

When my sister makes bowls she glues pieces up as necessary. With some
6" you could make bowls 12" X 4" with no problem.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 02:14:20 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ wrote:

8/4 by what??
Just wondering if it's wide enough for bowl blanks..

Mac

From 6" to 12".

When my sister makes bowls she glues pieces up as necessary. With some
6" you could make bowls 12" X 4" with no problem.

Bob AZ

I'm thinking more like 2x10" or 2x12", Bob..
I want to make some offset platters and this might be a very nice wood to do it
with..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is USENET... No rules, no one in charge, etc... You'll get
flamed if anyone objects, but if you have somehting of interest to the
group and the price is right, you'll sell it! Good luck with selling
your wood. I had no idea AZ had any cherry trees. Several years ago
I bought a planer and jointer so I could buy cheep lumber at a local
sawmill and stop paying big box store prices. Then I wanted even
better looking wood, so I bought a small band saw mill. (Timberking
1220) Now I've got about 1000 bft of cherry, 1500 bft of maple and
about 400 bft of walnut. It's almost time to get a few more walnut
logs. The loggers sell ugly logs cheep because the commercial mills
want straight, knot free wood to cut grade lumber from. The uglyest
logs make the most beautiful lumber! I'm going to take my mill to a
big logging job soon, the logger offered me all the walnut crotches
and stumps I could cut if I'd come pick out what I wanted. They leave
the best parts in the woods to rot! I only need a couple of feet left
on the stump to cut them for gunstock blanks, they always buck the
logs into 16 ft lengths and a couple of feet of log is always cut off
anyway. Free wood so far has cost me the price of a planer, jointer
big shop bandsaw and a sawmill... LOL

wrote:

All

I have about 300 board feet of 8/4 Cherry Wood to sell. What is the
proper way to list this for sale here and not violate all the rules?

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good luck with selling
your wood. *I had no idea AZ had any cherry trees. * Several years ago
I bought a planer and jointer so I could buy cheep lumber at a local
sawmill and stop paying big box store prices. *

Bill W

No cherry trees in AZ that I know of.

I did some surfing and found that cherry wood in the size I have, 8'
plus, are grown in the "tropics". Up to 30' tall.
Several different species etc. Trying to find more information.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/26/2010 1:54 PM, Bob AZ wrote:
Good luck with selling
your wood. I had no idea AZ had any cherry trees. Several years ago
I bought a planer and jointer so I could buy cheep lumber at a local
sawmill and stop paying big box store prices.

Bill W

No cherry trees in AZ that I know of.

I did some surfing and found that cherry wood in the size I have, 8'
plus, are grown in the "tropics". Up to 30' tall.
Several different species etc. Trying to find more information.

If it was "grown in the tropics" then odds are that it's Jatoba, aka
"Brazilian Cherry". It looks somewhat like cherry and darkens with age,
but it's more than twice as hard as hard maple.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If it was "grown in the tropics" then odds are that it's Jatoba, aka
"Brazilian Cherry". *It looks somewhat like cherry and darkens with age,
but it's more than twice as hard as hard maple.

J Clarke

You seem to be more knowledgeable than me about this. Do you have any
online references that I may look at?

Thanks for the additional information.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

There are online hardness charts for tropical woods. Try google.ca

It would seem the softer the hardwood in N.AMerica the harder it is in
Brazil???

Brazilian walnut is one of the hardest woods there is and yet N.Am walnut is
one of the softest.

I have a piece of Tiger Wood out on my deck for the last year to see if it
is as good for decking as reported. The urethane finish has turned dark and
may split some day but the rest of the board is in perfect health. The stuff
is so tight grained, moisture doesn't penetrate and it cuts like a piece of
steel or maybe anodized aluminum. Nice machining though.

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
You seem to be more knowledgeable than me about this. Do you have any
online references that I may look at?

Thanks for the additional information.

Bob AZ

If it was "grown in the tropics" then odds are that it's Jatoba, aka
"Brazilian Cherry". It looks somewhat like cherry and darkens with age,
but it's more than twice as hard as hard maple.

J Clarke

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/27/2010 12:37 PM, Bob AZ wrote:

If it was "grown in the tropics" then odds are that it's Jatoba, aka
"Brazilian Cherry". It looks somewhat like cherry and darkens with age,
but it's more than twice as hard as hard maple.

J Clarke

You seem to be more knowledgeable than me about this. Do you have any
online references that I may look at?

Thanks for the additional information.

The a good starting point is the FPL/CSIRO searchable database at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/search/commonname_request.php. If there
isn't a tech sheet listed for a particular item it's probably not traded
commercially in any significant quantity. The search engine on that
site sucks though--entering "cherry" will not find the common US
commercial species, but "black" or "black cherry" will.

By the way, FPL will identify several samples a year for a US citizen at
no charge--details at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/centers/woodanatomy/wood_idfactsheet.php.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com has datasheets and photos for a wide
range of species, some of which they also have in stock for sale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/27/2010 2:05 PM, Josepi wrote:
There are online hardness charts for tropical woods. Try google.ca

It would seem the softer the hardwood in N.AMerica the harder it is in
Brazil???

Brazilian walnut is one of the hardest woods there is and yet N.Am walnut is
one of the softest.

While there is true walnut grown in South America, wood commonly sold in
the US as "Brazilian walnut" is the same stuff sold for decks as
"ipe"--different wood--walnut is in the genus juglans, ipe is in the
genus tabebuia.

"Bob wrote in message
You seem to be more knowledgeable than me about this. Do you have any
online references that I may look at?

Thanks for the additional information.

Bob AZ

If it was "grown in the tropics" then odds are that it's Jatoba, aka
"Brazilian Cherry". It looks somewhat like cherry and darkens with age,
but it's more than twice as hard as hard maple.

J Clarke

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you telling me that "IPE" is not Brazilian walnut? The manufacturers all
claim it is.

Sometimes the translations from Portugese to English is not too good...LOL

but if they are a different genus then that would settle that one. Common
names for plants are a bitch too, sometimes. everything is a "flower"...LOL

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
While there is true walnut grown in South America, wood commonly sold in
the US as "Brazilian walnut" is the same stuff sold for decks as
"ipe"--different wood--walnut is in the genus juglans, ipe is in the
genus tabebuia.

On 8/27/2010 2:05 PM, Josepi wrote:
There are online hardness charts for tropical woods. Try google.ca

It would seem the softer the hardwood in N.AMerica the harder it is in
Brazil???

Brazilian walnut is one of the hardest woods there is and yet N.Am walnut
is
one of the softest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/27/2010 5:46 PM, Josepi wrote:
Are you telling me that "IPE" is not Brazilian walnut? The manufacturers all
claim it is.

Marketing name. If you use it for a deck it's "ipe", if you use it for
a floor it's "Brazilian Walnut", if you use it for a turning square it
may be called "lapacho".

One local yard used to have a huge stock of South American
hardwoods--they had cabinet-grade ipe that was lovely stuff right next
to it they had Argentinian walnut that was like American walnut only
they had it 3 inches thick, 15 inches wide, and 18 feet long with not a
speck of sapwood on it. For some reason that they wouldn't share they
no longer have any of that lovely stuff--it's all domestic lumber now.

"J. wrote in message
While there is true walnut grown in South America, wood commonly sold in
the US as "Brazilian walnut" is the same stuff sold for decks as
"ipe"--different wood--walnut is in the genus juglans, ipe is in the
genus tabebuia.

On 8/27/2010 2:05 PM, Josepi wrote:
There are online hardness charts for tropical woods. Try google.ca

It would seem the softer the hardwood in N.AMerica the harder it is in
Brazil???

Brazilian walnut is one of the hardest woods there is and yet N.Am walnut
is
one of the softest.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

J. Clarke wrote:
... For some reason that they wouldn't share they
no longer have any of that lovely stuff--...

I'd venture had to do w/ the former lacking the provenance of
sustainable foresting in the rain forest areas. Much at one time was,
if not exactly black- at least gray-market from the clearcut clearing
for expanding cattle and grain production, particularly bad in Brazil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/27/2010 7:36 PM, dpb wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
... For some reason that they wouldn't share they no longer have any
of that lovely stuff--...

I'd venture had to do w/ the former lacking the provenance of
sustainable foresting in the rain forest areas. Much at one time was, if
not exactly black- at least gray-market from the clearcut clearing for
expanding cattle and grain production, particularly bad in Brazil.

Could be--it was all supposed to be from Argentina and it was amazing
stuff. Wish I'd laid in a stock of it.

Are my calculations right? Board feet depictureboy Woodworking 15 April 24th 08 01:58 PM
board feet DJ Delorie Woodworking 14 April 14th 08 11:36 AM
Quite a few board feet here damian penney Woodworking 1 March 22nd 07 05:58 PM
For Sale: 313 Board Feet Cypress lumber [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 12th 05 07:49 PM
Gloat: Cherry/Board Feet Estimation Please Master Chef Richard Campbell Woodworking 5 January 7th 04 10:48 AM