Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are my calculations right? Board feet

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mat/652136146.html

12/4 THICK $1750.00 EACH SLAB
13FT 6 IN. LONG
NARROWIST POINT IS 29 INCHES
MIDDLE SECTION 32 INCHES
ACROSS THE CROTCH SECTION IS 48 INCHES
QUANTITY OF (7) SEVEN AVAILABLE

that works out to 16 dollars about a bf. ouch.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

depictureboy wrote:
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mat/652136146.html

12/4 THICK $1750.00 EACH SLAB
13FT 6 IN. LONG
NARROWIST POINT IS 29 INCHES
MIDDLE SECTION 32 INCHES
ACROSS THE CROTCH SECTION IS 48 INCHES
QUANTITY OF (7) SEVEN AVAILABLE

that works out to 16 dollars about a bf. ouch.

Roughly but you can't compare something like a 3" slab 48" wide w/ 4/4
mill stock.

Perhaps a little high for red oak, but I've not looked at slabs for so
long I don't have a clue what premium to think is appropriate at the moment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"depictureboy" wrote in message
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mat/652136146.html

12/4 THICK $1750.00 EACH SLAB
13FT 6 IN. LONG
NARROWIST POINT IS 29 INCHES
MIDDLE SECTION 32 INCHES
ACROSS THE CROTCH SECTION IS 48 INCHES
QUANTITY OF (7) SEVEN AVAILABLE

that works out to 16 dollars about a bf. ouch.

The local Rockler has a slab of Bubinga going for $60 per board foot, $4000
lets you have the whole stick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 6:06*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"depictureboy" wrote in message

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mat/652136146.html

12/4 THICK $1750.00 EACH SLAB
13FT 6 IN. LONG
NARROWIST POINT IS 29 INCHES
MIDDLE SECTION 32 INCHES
ACROSS THE CROTCH SECTION IS 48 INCHES
QUANTITY OF (7) SEVEN AVAILABLE

that works out to 16 dollars about a bf. ouch.

The local Rockler has a slab of Bubinga going for $60 per board foot, $4000
lets you have the whole stick.

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 6:06 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"depictureboy" wrote in message

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mat/652136146.html

12/4 THICK $1750.00 EACH SLAB
13FT 6 IN. LONG
NARROWIST POINT IS 29 INCHES
MIDDLE SECTION 32 INCHES
ACROSS THE CROTCH SECTION IS 48 INCHES
QUANTITY OF (7) SEVEN AVAILABLE

that works out to 16 dollars about a bf. ouch.

The local Rockler has a slab of Bubinga going for $60 per board foot,
$4000
lets you have the whole stick.

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.

But probably not in 3" thick slabs 13' long x 30" wide.
Bubinga goes for a lot less in 4/4 stock also.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

depictureboy wrote:

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.

He isn't selling 3", 48" crotch slabs for that I'll wager...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Right, I understand what you are saying now I think. I do recall from
the price list that some widths are a premium. And He does sell 12/4 for

I was thinking that if you cut that down into 4/4 @ 2.99bf you would not
recoup your investment, but maybe you will. Its been a long time since
geometry and trig. I was thinking about something like the parts not
being greater than the sum...
Posted to rec.woodworking

depictureboy wrote:

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.

My local fruitery sells pears for $1.99/lb., a similar comparison.

The ad is for crotch slabs.

On occasion, I visit he
http://www.berkshireveneer.com/product3.htm
and he
http://www.berkshireproducts.com/index.htm

Veneer quality wood in slabs can't possibly be compared to "normal" red
oak stock. If you check your dealer, even the basic stuff is probably
significantly more expensive if it's wide.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 7:04*am, B A R R Y wrote:
depictureboy wrote:

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.

My local fruitery sells pears for $1.99/lb., a similar comparison.

The ad is for crotch slabs.

On occasion, I visit he
http://www.berkshireveneer.com/product3.htm
and he
http://www.berkshireproducts.com/index.htm

Veneer quality wood in slabs can't possibly be compared to "normal" red
oak stock. *If you check your dealer, even the basic stuff is probably
significantly more expensive if it's wide.

So this would be considered veneer quality? What makes that
determination? The size or that there is some crotchwood?
I forget about veneering, i was thinking more along the lines of
cutting to furniture usable dimensions...
Posted to rec.woodworking

depictureboy wrote:

So this would be considered veneer quality? What makes that
determination? The size or that there is some crotchwood?

Sometimes one or both qualities, but mainly whatever the market will pay.

The veneer dealer I posted sells higher quality veneer at sq./ft. prices
similar to a bd./ft. price. For example, red oak might go ~
$2.49/sq./ft, which works out to ~ $19 bd./ft for 8 slices from a 1"
board. Really special stuff is priced as "make offer" or "ask"!

The cheaper veneers sometimes sold by Rockler, et al. often isn't special.

As large trees get rarer and rarer, large slabs also become extra
valuable. Sometimes, they will be kept sequential for that extra
special item.

Genuinely veneer quality wood and large slabs rarely see the typical
hardwood dealer.

Last week, my normal hardwood dealer had a stack of 18" wide walnut
slabs right near the door, amounting to the hardwood dealer version of a
Wal-Mart impulse buy display. Every time I went by the pile, the
tractor beam tried to pull me in, but I don't have room to store any! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Depictureboy wrote:

Right, I understand what you are saying now I think. I do recall from
the price list that some widths are a premium. And He does sell 12/4 for
7.75bf

Generally wider/thicker boards command a premium.

I was thinking that if you cut that down into 4/4 @ 2.99bf you would not
recoup your investment, but maybe you will.

The whole point of this sort of thing is to use it in a project where
4/4 isn't thick enough. You buy this to use as a single-slab table, or
to resaw it for bookmatched panels, or other similar purposes.

If 4/4 is thick enough, then that's what you use. If someone wants
thicker, it's going to cost because it's more rare.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

depictureboy wrote:
On Apr 22, 6:06 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"depictureboy" wrote in message

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mat/652136146.html
12/4 THICK $1750.00 EACH SLAB
13FT 6 IN. LONG
NARROWIST POINT IS 29 INCHES
MIDDLE SECTION 32 INCHES
ACROSS THE CROTCH SECTION IS 48 INCHES
QUANTITY OF (7) SEVEN AVAILABLE
that works out to 16 dollars about a bf. ouch.

The local Rockler has a slab of Bubinga going for $60 per board foot, $4000
lets you have the whole stick.

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.

The value in this wood is its form . . . i.e. thick, live edge, slab.
Like all unique pieces, it's priced based on what the seller perceives
the market will pay. If you don't need or want live edge, large, thick
slabs of oak, this is ridiculously priced. If however, you do want oak
slabs that are long, thick and wide, you might find this wood appealing.
If you bought this, and then cut it into dimensional lumber, you'd
certainly be paying too much.

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Depictureboy" wrote in message
newsrEPj.132725$yE1.37699@attbi_s21...
dpb wrote:
depictureboy wrote:

Right, I understand what you are saying now I think. I do recall from the
price list that some widths are a premium. And He does sell 12/4 for
7.75bf

I was thinking that if you cut that down into 4/4 @ 2.99bf you would not
recoup your investment, but maybe you will. Its been a long time since
geometry and trig. I was thinking about something like the parts not being
greater than the sum...

Like diamonds, if you break/cut them up, the smaller pieces are less
valuable than the big chunk. Thicker and wider almost always Command higher
pricing. Typically in set increments the smaller the piece the lower per BF
price you will have to pay and that equates to an over all cheaper price for
the same amount of wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 7:04 am, B A R R Y wrote:
depictureboy wrote:

This is red oak. My local supplier sells it for 2.49 a bf.

My local fruitery sells pears for $1.99/lb., a similar comparison.

The ad is for crotch slabs.

On occasion, I visit he
http://www.berkshireveneer.com/product3.htm
and he
http://www.berkshireproducts.com/index.htm

Veneer quality wood in slabs can't possibly be compared to "normal" red
oak stock. If you check your dealer, even the basic stuff is probably
significantly more expensive if it's wide.

So this would be considered veneer quality? What makes that
determination? The size or that there is some crotchwood?
I forget about veneering, i was thinking more along the lines of
cutting to furniture usable dimensions...

It may or may not be veneer quality but the big factor here is that you can
always get small pieces from a big piece. You can never get a big piece
from a single small piece. Big pieces are more rare than small pieces and
that drives the price up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Like diamonds, if you break/cut them up, the smaller pieces are less
valuable than the big chunk. Thicker and wider almost always Command
higher pricing. Typically in set increments the smaller the piece
the lower per BF price you will have to pay and that equates to an
over all cheaper price for the same amount of wood.

I found this very true......I could have gotten a really good deal on
sawdust but had to rethink the board building plans after pricing glueg.
Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rod Jacobson" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
Like diamonds, if you break/cut them up, the smaller pieces are less
valuable than the big chunk. Thicker and wider almost always Command
higher pricing. Typically in set increments the smaller the piece
the lower per BF price you will have to pay and that equates to an
over all cheaper price for the same amount of wood.

I found this very true......I could have gotten a really good deal on
sawdust but had to rethink the board building plans after pricing glueg.
Rod

You can buy that already glued up. MDF ;~)

board feet DJ Delorie Woodworking 14 April 14th 08 11:36 AM
Quite a few board feet here damian penney Woodworking 1 March 22nd 07 05:58 PM
For Sale: 313 Board Feet Cypress lumber [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 12th 05 07:49 PM
cutting list =>shoppihng list & board feet. Newbie wood shoppingquestion Jim Helfer Woodworking 2 September 3rd 04 03:07 AM
Gloat: Cherry/Board Feet Estimation Please Master Chef Richard Campbell Woodworking 5 January 7th 04 10:48 AM