Jim Helfer

Default cutting list =>shoppihng list & board feet. Newbie wood shoppingquestion

I'm just about to embark on my first large woodworking project (some
mission bedroom furniture). I have some plans which include a cutting
list and a materials list like so:

(2) 2x6x96"
(3) 2x6x72"
(3) 2x4x72"
etc.....

What I am confused about is exactly how I take this information and
shop for wood. How do I properly translate this into board feet?* How
can I estimate how much this will cost me?
If I call a mail-order place, will I just order X board feet of a
particular thickness, and just get random widths, or is it like an
actual lumberyard, where I can specify (at least somewhat) the required
lengths and widths.

* OK, I can do the math, but I don't know what assumptions to make.
F'rinstance: A piece of lumber 12"x12"x3/4" is a 1x12x12", but is it
calculated at 1bf or 0.75 bf ?
CBlood59

* OK, I can do the math, but I don't know what assumptions to make.
F'rinstance: A piece of lumber 12"x12"x3/4" is a 1x12x12", but is it
calculated at 1bf or 0.75 bf ?

Jim,

The place where I buy would charge me for 1bf, for the piece you decribed.
They would plane a 4/4 board down to 3/4, and therefore need to charge for the
entire thickness. As for the calculation for your cut list, you're askin the
wrong guy. I just let the man use the calculator, then I pay. Have fun.

Curt Blood
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Jim Helfer wrote:
[...]

A) there is a rule that anything less than 1" thick is rounded up to 1".
B) board feet measure is calculated based on the 'rough' dimension of the
material, not the finished dimension. This means that actual width and
thickness are less than what is used in the calculation, while the actual
length _is_ what is used.