Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How much weight can a 3/4" of MDF support?

My son is starting his first year of college next week and he and his
roommate have discovered the joys of Craig's List. They just HAD to
have a TV but neither set of parents were willing to buy them the $400
flat screen they were lobbying for, so they went scrounging.

Now, I love the fact that they decided to go this way and they found
exactly what they wanted: an old, 32-inch, flat-screen tube TV. Don't
ask me how the heck they are going to fit it into their dorm room at
school and I don't care if one of them has to sleep on the floor.

But I am going to try to slap together a quick stand for it and here
is the rub: it is 32" wide (because the speakers are on either side)
and 23" deep and has to weigh well over 150 pounds. They don't have
much room, obviously, and the stands we see in the stores either do
not support the sheer wight of this monster or they are way too wide.

So I was thinking about slapping one together myself using 2x4s and
either 3/4" MDF or plywood. Needless to say, I want this thing to be
as cheap as possible! I was thinking about gluing two 18" 2x4s
together to make an ELL for each of four legs and then lay a piece of
3/4" plywood or MDF on top. Maybe use a 1" board to connect all four
legs together at the top and then another set of 1" boards halfway
down to put a shelf in plus it should help it stay together.

Does this sound like a plan? Of course, I originally thought of a
couple 2x12s and some 12" concrete blocks but the moms puked. Ain't
nothing going to be cheaper than that!

busbus

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 7:59*am, busbus wrote:
[...]

Actually, I think it may even be cheaper to use a couple 2x12s for the
top and find a piece of thin ply I have laying around to make a shelf.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:13:08 -0700 (PDT), busbus wrote:

On Aug 13, 7:59*am, busbus wrote:
[...]

go to radio shack and get a swivel wall mount, easy and saves floor
space.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2010 7:59 AM, busbus wrote:
[...]

I think I would use 2 X 4 for the corners. I would put the 4" side of
the back pieces parallel to the front of the TV; and the front two,
perpendicular to the front of the TV. I would then rabbeted a 1 X 4
into the top of the 2X4 to to form the top of the stand, and then cut
dadoes for another band of 1 X 4 several inches from the floor. That
would give you a stand with the strength and bracing sufficient for to
hold the TV. Make the dadoes as tight as possible.

If you don't think the 1X4 would give you the strength you need they
could be half lapped into the legs

If you used a better quality of 2X4 and 1X4 you would only need to cut a
shelf to fit the bottom 1X4's, and a piece for the top and it should be
strong and look pretty good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 04:59:59 -0700 (PDT), busbus
wrote:

[...]

You will definitely need either to put a support directly under the
center of the top, or double up the top's thickness, or install 1x2"
center and front reinforcement strips under the top shelf. I forgot
what those are called.

So I was thinking about slapping one together myself using 2x4s and
either 3/4" MDF or plywood. Needless to say, I want this thing to be
as cheap as possible! I was thinking about gluing two 18" 2x4s
together to make an ELL for each of four legs and then lay a piece of
3/4" plywood or MDF on top. Maybe use a 1" board to connect all four
legs together at the top and then another set of 1" boards halfway
down to put a shelf in plus it should help it stay together.

No legs. Make a box (with a back) of termite barf or plywood. Glue 'n
screw it together so it will withstand the rigors of dorm life. (Think
BRICK ****HOUSE.) Paint it white and send it over.

Does this sound like a plan? Of course, I originally thought of a
couple 2x12s and some 12" concrete blocks but the moms puked. Ain't
nothing going to be cheaper than that!

Wimmenfolk. sigh

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:35:32 -0500, basilisk
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:13:08 -0700 (PDT), busbus wrote:
Does this sound like a plan? *Of course, I originally thought of a
couple 2x12s and some 12" concrete blocks but the moms puked. *Ain't
nothing going to be cheaper than that!

Actually, I think it may even be cheaper to use a couple 2x12s for the
top and find a piece of thin ply I have laying around to make a shelf.

go to radio shack and get a swivel wall mount, easy and saves floor
space.

Do you have any idea what a large mount like that costs, sir? (HINT:
it's about $200 more than bricks and low-grade tubatwelves.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

busbus wrote:

So I was thinking about slapping one together myself using 2x4s and
either 3/4" MDF or plywood. Needless to say, I want this thing to be
as cheap as possible! I was thinking about gluing two 18" 2x4s
together to make an ELL for each of four legs and then lay a piece of
3/4" plywood or MDF on top. Maybe use a 1" board to connect all four
legs together at the top and then another set of 1" boards halfway
down to put a shelf in plus it should help it stay together.

Does this sound like a plan? Of course, I originally thought of a
couple 2x12s and some 12" concrete blocks but the moms puked. Ain't
nothing going to be cheaper than that!

You would be surprised at the weight that a seemingly light duty stand, will
carry. There's no need to use two-by lumber for this type of project -
one-by will work just fine. Take a look at how lighter weight materials are
typically used for applications like this. You can use 1/8" luan plywood
for the top if you build structural framing under it, for example. It's
largely a matter of taste, but I don't like the look of two-by lumber for
furniture. Looks too clunky for my tastes. 150 pounds is not a lot of
weight to support, and it's not a concentrated weight - it's spread across a
32" span. That is actually in your favor. It's worth looking at the
commercial stuff that is on the market and seeing if you can get some ideas
from that. Just remember that you don't need to go the route of building
materials that are typically used to support houses, for a simple TV stand.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 9:42*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
busbus wrote:

[...]

Ahhhhhhhhhh...you got me thinking. If I use 1x4s to make the legs the
same way I was going to build them with the 2x4s but connect them with
the same 1x4s installed horizontally at the top of the legs and some
more 1x's halfway down to hold a shelf and to make the thing a little
stronger. Then place, what? 1/2" crap stuff on top?

By the way, I thought about painting the thing black... )

I like the idea of using glued sawdust panels but I know at least
these two guys are not going to be, uh, sane, and I can see them
bounce into the unit and have it end up on the floor.

Who am I kidding?! We are talking about a college dorm room and I can
give a rat's ass about aesthetics. I want something that is hell for
strong and cheap. 2x4s and a 2x12 is cheap. I can probably build
this for less than $20 or $25 if I use 2-bys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you want it cheap and strong, Try this.

Use 1x4's for the legs, but rip them diagonally - measure over about 1" from
each side on the opposite ends and draw your line. Cut along the line and
form an "L" out of the pieces. Glue and screw an apron between the four
legs with a 1x4 , stretcher on the inside of the four "L's" (mitering the
corners on the apron pieces will give you more glue surface) Glue and screw,
or nail (pocket screws would be very good here) one more short length of 1/4
between the center of the front and back 1x4. Nail, or screw, and glue the
MDF to the top.

Deb

busbus wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:13:08 -0700 (PDT), busbus wrote:
Does this sound like a plan? *Of course, I originally thought of a
couple 2x12s and some 12" concrete blocks but the moms puked. *Ain't
nothing going to be cheaper than that!

Actually, I think it may even be cheaper to use a couple 2x12s for the
top and find a piece of thin ply I have laying around to make a shelf.

go to radio shack and get a swivel wall mount, easy and saves floor
space.

Do you have any idea what a large mount like that costs, sir? (HINT:
it's about $200 more than bricks and low-grade tubatwelves.)

I've got one in the bedroom, don't recall what I paid for it, wasn't
that much though. I do remember how hard it was for an old fat man to
carry a 30 inch crt tv 9 feet up a ladder.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 7:59*am, busbus wrote:
[...]

I almost got tossed out of residence for putting a thumbtack in the
wall. Of course a few Tapcons and a quiet hammer drill...... (you were
kidding, right?)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 7:59*am, busbus wrote:
[...]

Easier to get forgiveness, than it is to get permission.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

busbus wrote:
On Aug 13, 9:42 am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
busbus wrote:

[...]

Don't paint it. Tell the moms to pick out a table cover, preferably
something like a giant doilie, with lots of lace and pastel covers.

If it was me, I'd consider two (or three) milk crates and a large pillow
case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 5:59*am, busbus wrote:
[...]

This may give you some useful info:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...wwVUah2zVf1NqQ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 9:59*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
busbus wrote:

paint it. Tell the moms to pick out a table cover, preferably
something like a giant doilie, with lots of lace and pastel covers.

If it was me, I'd consider two (or three) milk crates and a large pillow
case.

And ply/MDF on top the crates, right?
I second this option, but with a drape cloth (a pastel lace doily
sounds excellent, LOL), rather than pillow (en)casing the crates.
They can paint the "countertop", themselves.... a cloth covering
would get dirty, quickly. Drape the crates, not the ply. Use the
crate space for storage. If height is needed, such that 4 crates are
used, 2 stacked on 2, tie the crates together with wire ties.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in news:3Kd9o.32433$y_2.5153@hurricane:

Hell, use cement blocks and a board.

Oh, those college days!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/10 11:42 AM, dadiOH wrote:
busbus wrote:
On Aug 13, 9:42 am, "Mike
wrote:
busbus wrote:

[...]

Hell with that, beer case furniture.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2010 11:56 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Aug 13, 9:59 am, wrote:
busbus wrote:

paint it. Tell the moms to pick out a table cover, preferably
something like a giant doilie, with lots of lace and pastel covers.

If it was me, I'd consider two (or three) milk crates and a large pillow
case.

And ply/MDF on top the crates, right?
I second this option, but with a drape cloth (a pastel lace doily
sounds excellent, LOL), rather than pillow (en)casing the crates.
They can paint the "countertop", themselves.... a cloth covering
would get dirty, quickly. Drape the crates, not the ply. Use the
crate space for storage. If height is needed, such that 4 crates are
used, 2 stacked on 2, tie the crates together with wire ties.

The original 2x12 and concrete block solution is traditional. If the
kids can find the right person to ask they can probably find such that
has been abandoned by a graduating senior.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote
Now, I love the fact that they decided to go this way and they found
exactly what they wanted: an old, 32-inch, flat-screen tube TV. Don't
ask me how the heck they are going to fit it into their dorm room at
school and I don't care if one of them has to sleep on the floor.

But I am going to try to slap together a quick stand for it and here
is the rub: it is 32" wide (because the speakers are on either side)
and 23" deep and has to weigh well over 150 pounds.

Sounds like the TV I got rid of recently. Mine was 185 pounds and had a
CRT, not a flat panel like the new ones. Flat panels that size weigh about
30 pounds.

A box with well place center support will take that weight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 4:59*am, busbus wrote:
My son is starting his first year of college ... just HAD to
have a TV .

it is 32" wide (because the speakers are on either side)
and 23" deep and has to weigh well over 150 pounds.

Probably, it has four feet. Those, you have to support well,
so put the legs and whatever bracing goes under the tabletop
under those four feet.

The tabletop, actually, is only to collect clutter like the remote
or a TV guide... shelves well below the TV are more useful
than a tabletop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2010 2:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"busbus" wrote
Now, I love the fact that they decided to go this way and they found
exactly what they wanted: an old, 32-inch, flat-screen tube TV. Don't
ask me how the heck they are going to fit it into their dorm room at
school and I don't care if one of them has to sleep on the floor.

But I am going to try to slap together a quick stand for it and here
is the rub: it is 32" wide (because the speakers are on either side)
and 23" deep and has to weigh well over 150 pounds.

Sounds like the TV I got rid of recently. Mine was 185 pounds and had a
CRT, not a flat panel like the new ones. Flat panels that size weigh
about 30 pounds.

A box with well place center support will take that weight.

One of my favorite temporary expedients is a corrugated cardboard
packing box with a piece of plywood laid across the top. It's amazing
how much that can hold as long as it doesn't get wet. Perhaps a couple
of 18x18x18s--under 10 bucks at Staples for new ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I happened to stop at IKEA at lunch time and they had a find in
the scratch and dent room. It was a smaller TV stand, about 24 x 24.
The TV is at least 8-inches wider than the table top but I figure I
may be able to simply screw a 24 x 32 x 1/2" piece of plywood I have
laying around on top and leave it at that.

There is no weight specifications, so I don't know if it will hold
100-200 pounds. There was a bigger one upstairs that looked like this
one and the weight limit was 60 pounds. But I am at the point that I
just want to get this over with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote
Well, I happened to stop at IKEA at lunch time and they had a find in
the scratch and dent room. It was a smaller TV stand, about 24 x 24.
The TV is at least 8-inches wider than the table top but I figure I
may be able to simply screw a 24 x 32 x 1/2" piece of plywood I have
laying around on top and leave it at that.

One word of caution. If this is like my old TV, the weight was concentrated
at the front of the tube. If I set it close to the front, it was tippy on a
stand. It was OK to have a foot of the back hanging off though as there is
no weight there. Moving it back 2" made a huge difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/10 5:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"busbus" wrote
Well, I happened to stop at IKEA at lunch time and they had a find in
the scratch and dent room. It was a smaller TV stand, about 24 x 24.
The TV is at least 8-inches wider than the table top but I figure I
may be able to simply screw a 24 x 32 x 1/2" piece of plywood I have
laying around on top and leave it at that.

One word of caution. If this is like my old TV, the weight was
concentrated at the front of the tube. If I set it close to the front,
it was tippy on a stand. It was OK to have a foot of the back hanging
off though as there is no weight there. Moving it back 2" made a huge
difference.

Yep, just tossed a 29" Sony CRT TV, heavy SOB, replaced with a 32 inch
Sony LCD, the shelf is actually starting starting to get straight again
by some miracle.
:-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote in message
[...]

The plank and block shelf is a classic. How could they not like that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

.. .

wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:13:08 -0700 (PDT), busbus wrote:
Does this sound like a plan? Of course, I originally thought of a
couple 2x12s and some 12" concrete blocks but the moms puked. Ain't
nothing going to be cheaper than that!

Actually, I think it may even be cheaper to use a couple 2x12s for the
top and find a piece of thin ply I have laying around to make a shelf.

go to radio shack and get a swivel wall mount, easy and saves floor
space.

Do you have any idea what a large mount like that costs, sir? (HINT:
it's about $200 more than bricks and low-grade tubatwelves.)

I've got one in the bedroom, don't recall what I paid for it, wasn't
that much though. I do remember how hard it was for an old fat man to
carry a 30 inch crt tv 9 feet up a ladder.

basilisk

The OP is talking about a Tube TV of 150+ Pounds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote in message
[...]

How about a triangular stand? Make the 'corner' point square. These big old
TVs like some support at the back (tube) end, but you don't need to waste
space with a square or rectangular stand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
"dadiOH" wrote in

Hell, use cement blocks and a board.

Oh, those college days!

College? I've still got some cement blocks and boards in the garage right
now. If I ever clear off the shelves, I'll build something more
aesthetically pleasing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:11:46 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:

"Han" wrote in message
.. .
"dadiOH" wrote in

Hell, use cement blocks and a board.

Oh, those college days!

College? I've still got some cement blocks and boards in the garage right
now. If I ever clear off the shelves, I'll build something more
aesthetically pleasing

One problem with dorm-modern furniture is carting the stuff home between
years. That television isn't going to be a picnic either. I was married and
lived off-campus so I could leave our "early orange crate" furniture in one
place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:11:46 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Han" wrote in message
. ..
"dadiOH" wrote in

Hell, use cement blocks and a board.

Oh, those college days!

College? I've still got some cement blocks and boards in the garage right
now. If I ever clear off the shelves, I'll build something more
aesthetically pleasing

One problem with dorm-modern furniture is carting the stuff home between
years. That television isn't going to be a picnic either. I was married
and
lived off-campus so I could leave our "early orange crate" furniture in
one
place.

I've got one of those TVs. A 36" Sony that probably weighs closer to 200#,
maybe more. I was having some yard work done and two guys ten bucks each to
move it from one stand to another. The state now has a recycling program for
this stuff, so when it dies I can have it hauled away for a reasonable
price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:03:53 -0700, Lobby Dosser wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

crt=cathode ray tube

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The OP is talking about a Tube TV of 150+ Pounds.

I know that he stated he thought it was 150 pounds - but... that's not even
likely. Think of the last console TV you lifted from back in the 80's -
they weren't that heavy. More like 40-60 lbs.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in

Hell, use cement blocks and a board.

Oh, those college days!

Is that what your college days were all about? Hell, mine were about tits
and ass and I didn't even see the cement blocks and boards...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Is that what your college days were all about? Hell, mine were
about tits and ass and I didn't even see the cement blocks and
boards...

-------------------
What, no beer or Hairy Buffaloes?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:45:49 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

The OP is talking about a Tube TV of 150+ Pounds.

I know that he stated he thought it was 150 pounds - but... that's not even
likely. Think of the last console TV you lifted from back in the 80's -
they weren't that heavy. More like 40-60 lbs.

32" flat screen CRT? Yeah they are that heavy. That's a *lot* of glass and
often MDF casing. Our 1982 vintage 25" RCA table top was 100 lbs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:

The OP is talking about a Tube TV of 150+ Pounds.

I know that he stated he thought it was 150 pounds - but... that's not
even likely. Think of the last console TV you lifted from back in the
80's - they weren't that heavy. More like 40-60 lbs.

I had a 32" HD TV by Phillips. It is the largest HD TV made with a CRT. It
weighed 185 pounds. Took two of us to get it unloaded and lifted onto the
stand. A flat screen of that size is about 30#.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 11:45*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Lobby Dosser wrote:
The OP is talking about a Tube TV of 150+ Pounds.

I know that he stated he thought it was 150 pounds - but... that's not even
likely. *Think of the last console TV you lifted from back in the 80's -
they weren't that heavy. *More like 40-60 lbs.

--

-Mike-

Oh, it IS at least 150 pounds. The tube is HUGE. And the back does
not get smallish, either. The back of the set must be 24" or so at
it's smallest. I have never seen a bigger TV set in my life (that is
like this one). Somebody said it has feet but it doesn't. I had to
pick my left nut off the floor last night because I wanted to see if
there were feet and I was too impatient to wait for anybody to help
me. The bottom isn't flat as there are ridges all around but I figure
that is to strengthen the plastic.

Nonetheless, whenever I was flipping it back up onto it's base, it
took all I had and I hope I am not so old that 100 pounds feels that
heavy!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 8:56*am, Megan Kinzler wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:45*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
[...]

Crap, why does my daughter keep logging me out!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang
kids.