Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How much weight can a 3/4" of MDF support?

busbus wrote in news:860f61b8-b0ad-45f9-b3ed-
:

Well, I happened to stop at IKEA at lunch time and they had a find in
the scratch and dent room. It was a smaller TV stand, about 24 x 24.
The TV is at least 8-inches wider than the table top but I figure I
may be able to simply screw a 24 x 32 x 1/2" piece of plywood I have
laying around on top and leave it at that.

There is no weight specifications, so I don't know if it will hold
100-200 pounds. There was a bigger one upstairs that looked like this
one and the weight limit was 60 pounds. But I am at the point that I
just want to get this over with.

Sit on it. Does it deflect badly?

My school issued us 2 drawer dressers that we'd often stack and put our
TVs on. One of them would fit your need perfectly.

All you need is a simple 1x4 frame to support a piece of 3/4" plywood.
Use 2x4s ripped in half for legs, and call it done. (A few braces on the
legs would be a good thing, though.) At 2'x4', that's the basis for a N-
trak module. It'll handle the TV easily. (Beware 1/2" plywood. I had
some that sagged so easily I had to have supports every 8 inches.)

Puckdropper