Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which glue to use?

Hello,
I want to adhere, face to face, two pieces of mdf. Both have been
primed with Zinsser shellac based, white pigmented primer. Which
adhesive would be appropriate for this job? Thanks.
TB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 5:58*pm, wrote:
Hello,
I want to adhere, face to face, two pieces of mdf. Both have been
primed with Zinsser shellac based, white pigmented primer. Which
adhesive would be appropriate for this job? Thanks.
TB

The shellac has pretty much ruled out any adhesive which needs an
absorptive surface, I'd suggest either epoxy, or if strength isn't
crucial, silicone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hello,
I want to adhere, face to face, two pieces of mdf. Both have been
primed with Zinsser shellac based, white pigmented primer. Which
adhesive would be appropriate for this job? Thanks.
TB

Screws.

Elmer's white glue is as good as any for what you are doing. In reality,
you are adhering primer to primer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 5:58*pm, wrote:
Hello,
I want to adhere, face to face, two pieces of mdf. Both have been
primed with Zinsser shellac based, white pigmented primer. Which
adhesive would be appropriate for this job? Thanks.

What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and
what sort of loading will the bond experience?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Polyurethane glues such as PL400 that come in tubes (NOT Gorilla glue)
and are solvent based will penetrate the shellac if properly applied.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 12:14*am, "
wrote:
Polyurethane glues such as PL400 that come in tubes (NOT Gorilla glue)
and are solvent based will penetrate the shellac if properly applied.

Robert

Yup. Although pretty drastic, that will work. PL 600 is a candidate
too. I was trying to be gentle, not knowing what was going on here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 12:14*am, "
wrote:
Polyurethane glues such as PL400 that come in tubes (NOT Gorilla glue)
and are solvent based will penetrate the shellac if properly applied.

Robert

Wait..... don't Polyurethane glues need moisture?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 10:35*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Elmer's white glue is as good as any for what you are doing. *In reality,
you are adhering primer to primer.

Right. The primer could always be sanded off at the contact area.
Then any glue would do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 11:31*pm, Robatoy wrote:

Wait..... don't Polyurethane glues need moisture?

Not for the _tube_ stuff. While it has polyurethane resins in it, it
isn't using the same carriers or solvents as the Gorilla stuff.

The poly will dry (as you know) to a super hard, dense plastic with no
air or water. It kicks off when it leaves the tube due to its
exposure to air.

Woe be to the one that follows me to remove the tempered white
finished masonite beadboard wainscot that is popular now. I glue it
with tube poly and hide the brads in the bead grooves. It penetrates
the hard masonite easily, and goes right through many coats of paint
to adhere.

Several years after completing a kitchen remodel, I was called for
cabinet repairs due to water leaks. I had to cut out the pieces I
glued with that stuff as it destroyed everything that I glued with
it. (Excellent!)

I like the stuff as it is impervious to just about everything that
affects other glues.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/3/10 9:09 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:35 pm, "Ed wrote:

Elmer's white glue is as good as any for what you are doing. In reality,
you are adhering primer to primer.

Right. The primer could always be sanded off at the contact area.
Then any glue would do.

My thoughts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 21:40:01 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and
what sort of loading will the bond experience?

It's a kids dollhouse. I need to glue milled clapboard pieces made of
mdf to the sides of the house, also made of mdf.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and
what sort of loading will the bond experience?

It's a kids dollhouse. I need to glue milled clapboard pieces made of
mdf to the sides of the house, also made of mdf.

sillicon

silicone might be easier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 1:13*pm, wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and
what sort of loading will the bond experience?

It's a kids dollhouse. I need to glue milled clapboard pieces made of
mdf to the sides of the house, also made of mdf.

Sigh. In future, please give complete information so we're not
wasting people's time guessing what you're trying to do, okay?

You can use anything for that application. Literally - any adhesive
would work.

Latex caulk is probably the easiest all the way around.
Silicone caulk is more expensive and presents problems if you're
trying to paint over it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
What's the application, what sort of environment will it be in, and
what sort of loading will the bond experience?

It's a kids dollhouse. I need to glue milled clapboard pieces made of
mdf to the sides of the house, also made of mdf.

sillicon

silicone might be easier.

Silicone is for those who don't dare to venture into the realms of
sillicon, silliputty or sillisybin.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

sillicon

silicone might be easier.

Silicone is for those who don't dare to venture into the realms of
sillicon, silliputty or sillisybin.

Or those physicists with their Silly String Theory.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

sillicon

silicone might be easier.

Silicone is for those who don't dare to venture into the realms of
sillicon, silliputty or sillisybin.

Or those physicists with their Silly String Theory.

That resonates enough with me to give me a hadron.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

sillicon

silicone might be easier.

Silicone is for those who don't dare to venture into the realms of
sillicon, silliputty or sillisybin.

Or those physicists with their Silly String Theory.

That resonates enough with me to give me a hadron.

Well, then, you might be interested to know that Cuba lead the way in
investigating sub-atomic particles. They were so far ahead of
everyone else that it became trivial to them, and they wrote popular
songs about the physics involved. Here's proof - a Russian study
group trying to glean some of the Cuban's knowledge by emulating them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGs-f5iwRs
Russian studies are very informal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 9:39*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

How about applying an additional top coat on each surface and sticking them
together wet? *I'm not sure it would work, but it seems sometimes the
finish-to-finish joints are some of the toughest to get apart.

Interesting idea. I think that there'd be a problem with working
time, but the shellac primer would certainly act as an adhesive. If
the clapboard pieces lay flat on the sheathing of the house, it'd
work, but if they're like regular clapboard, with only a little bit
overlapping the course below, and a little bit touching the sheathing,
I don't think there'd be much surface area and the bond would be
pretty weak. That's why I suggested latex caulk - it'd fill gaps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 3:13*pm, Swingman wrote:

Almost every PE I know begins onsite conversations with "PL..."

Heh heh.... you betcha!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

sillicon

silicone might be easier.

Silicone is for those who don't dare to venture into the realms of
sillicon, silliputty or sillisybin.

Or those physicists with their Silly String Theory.

That resonates enough with me to give me a hadron.

Ah so, it was *you* that led the research team that was endeavoring to
isolate, in =un-bound= form, the 4h quark[1].

I should have known, when, despite the fact that the project had a fancy
academic name, it was almost always referred to as "the search for the
naked 'bottom'".

--
[1] for those who's particle physics knowledge is deficient, there are
6 'flavor's of quarks "up','down","top", "bottom", "strange", and

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 06:23:16 -0400, salty wrote:

It's siding on a doll house for cry-eye. He could use a hot glue gun or
even library paste. Elmers Glue-all or Titebond would be fine. Ther is
no need to make this complicated.

One of the glues I've found handy for modeling is Alenes Extra Tacky.
That should work great for a dollhouse, especially the smaller pieces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Liquid nails ?

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/