Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Which glue to use?

On 8/3/2010 10:41 AM, wrote:
On Aug 2, 11:31 pm, wrote:

Wait..... don't Polyurethane glues need moisture?

Not for the _tube_ stuff. While it has polyurethane resins in it, it
isn't using the same carriers or solvents as the Gorilla stuff.

The poly will dry (as you know) to a super hard, dense plastic with no
air or water. It kicks off when it leaves the tube due to its
exposure to air.

Woe be to the one that follows me to remove the tempered white
finished masonite beadboard wainscot that is popular now. I glue it
with tube poly and hide the brads in the bead grooves. It penetrates
the hard masonite easily, and goes right through many coats of paint
to adhere.

Several years after completing a kitchen remodel, I was called for
cabinet repairs due to water leaks. I had to cut out the pieces I
glued with that stuff as it destroyed everything that I glued with
it. (Excellent!)

I like the stuff as it is impervious to just about everything that
affects other glues.

Almost every PE I know begins onsite conversations with "PL..."

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010