Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rolling lumber cart (not sheetgoods) design

I made a modified version of this for sheetgoods

http://www.scrgeek.com/woodwork/storageSheets.html

I wanted to optimize space, so I used 1/2" conduit for the bars, stood
all my end 2x's on edge and put one hole out on the 8' 2x,and lined up
a pair of 2x's to support the wheels which I put in about 20" from
each end. Time will tell if that all works out. The dimensions are
2' x 8, which has the same capacity as the one in the link above. I
did not want to take up any more space than necessary.

Next I'm onto a rolling version of a lumber cart. I was thinking to
make 4 - 2'x8' platforms from 2x4s, and hold them all vertically in
place with 4 2x4's uprights with dados cut out for the platforms (3.5"
wide dado). The dados should give it ridgidity and a single bolt or
pair of bolts would hold the platforms to the upgrights. So basically
4 platforms held together by 4 legs. To the bottom platform I'd bolt
4 heavy duty casters. If I seperate the platforms 16" apart that
means each could hold 24" x 96" x 16" of lumber. Assuming I just
keep the top open for sorting, I'd have 3 "bays". That's about 64
cubit feet of lumber storage. Oak is about 50 lbs / cu ft, so
completely maxed-out that would be 3200 lbs. But that's ridiculous,
so figure 50% or about 1600 lbs.

Is that even reasonable for what I'm describing?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's a sketchup photo of the rolling lumber cart I built:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart.jpg

and the actual cart:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart2.jpg

This thing hold an amazing amount of lumber and takes care of 4x9 sheets
of ply, 8' lumber, and a ton of cut offs that were always in the way.

The cart is easy to build, and cheap. I used OSB for the sides. Proper
planing results in about zero waste. It is heavy so don't skimp on the
wheels like I did. I put 2 wheels in the middle, and one on each end,
rather than one on each corner. The base is 3/4 x 8' x 32" ply. You
can pretty much figure out everything else from that using sketchup.

This cart exceeded my expectations and I should have built it 35 years
ago...

--
Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

kansascats wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:41:18 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote:
This cart exceeded my expectations and I should have built it 35 years
ago...

The picture and the Internet site it was posted on didn't exist 35
years ago. The least you could do is acknowledge the person who
originally designed it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I saw that cart also, and was just about to build it when I
stumbled across the one I posted. I liked it better for sheet goods
and I liked the my compressed 24" width vs 32". The one I tried to
describe would be more open so I could see the lumber without having
to pull it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Here is a sketchup of what I"m thinking
http://tinypic.com/m/azic11/3

On the bottom, add a osb panel to the frame and add some heavy dury
rollers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/10 4:43 PM, kansascats wrote:
I made a modified version of this for sheetgoods

http://www.scrgeek.com/woodwork/storageSheets.html

The picture shows an open base with 2x4's on edge that will catch the
corner of sheet goods, unless one slides them perfectly parallel.

I would want a solid sheet base, so panels could slide all the way in
without the potential of catching. Also, some softer sheets, like foam
core or partial board can dent on those 2x's, when resting like that for
a while.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/2010 3:00 PM, kansascats wrote:

I made something similar as a recyling center/work area.

I put 2x4 in the corners, in the back the the 4" side of the wood was
paralel to the front edge of the unit, and the 4" side of the front
pieces was perpendicular to the front edge.

I then used 2X2 as stringers between the ends. Each joint was made with
a partial half lap. (Lap cut into only one piece of the joint.)

Once the stringer were screewed into place the half laps provide the
bracing to make a stable unit that could be finished to your needs.

I used the same technique to put in the slats that made the shelves.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Will it hold 1600-2000 pounds (see my capacity comments in the OP) ?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-07-19 15:44:56 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com said:

that's a much better simple cart. And does everything you need to do.

On 7/19/2010 10:41 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
Here's a sketchup photo of the rolling lumber cart I built:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart.jpg

and the actual cart:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart2.jpg

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/055/...und-store-all/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
This cart exceeded my expectations and I should have built it 35 years
ago...

The picture and the Internet site it was posted on didn't exist 35
years ago. The least you could do is acknowledge the person who
originally designed it.

I said I built it, I didn't say I thought up the design. The pictures I
posted were of the one I built. This design is everywhere on the
internet and it is a super design that stores sheet goods, lumber and
cut offs in a neat efficient manner. I recommend this design to the guy
that asked because I built it and I know it is a great design, to you, I
recommend you kiss my ass.

--
Jack
Somewhere In Kenya, a Village is Missing it's IDIOT!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2010 7:58 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
Upscale wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
This cart exceeded my expectations and I should have built it 35
years ago...

The picture and the Internet site it was posted on didn't exist 35
years ago. The least you could do is acknowledge the person who
originally designed it.

I said I built it, I didn't say I thought up the design. The pictures I
posted were of the one I built. This design is everywhere on the
internet and it is a super design that stores sheet goods, lumber and
cut offs in a neat efficient manner. I recommend this design to the guy
that asked because I built it and I know it is a great design, to you, I
recommend you kiss my ass.

--
Jack
Somewhere In Kenya, a Village is Missing it's IDIOT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws
http://jbstein.com

The superfluous apostrophe is causing your sig line to drip with irony.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 5:43*pm, kansascats wrote:
I made a modified version of this for sheetgoods

http://www.scrgeek.com/woodwork/storageSheets.html

This has been a very good thread with more value/information per post
than average.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

Jack Stein wrote:

Somewhere In Kenya, a Village is Missing it's IDIOT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

The superfluous apostrophe is causing your sig line to drip with irony.

Sorry bout that. Fortunately for those hopelessly confused by the
superfluous apostrophe, I posted a link to clarify the issue some...

Well, I better add this link to further clarify:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk3OMRqO7aY

--
Jack
What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?