Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For Sale: 36" Northfield Bandsaw

Not for most folks here, but some larger shop owners cruise through here
occasionally.
I am 30 miles west of Fort Worth, TX.

Here is my post on craigslist, and I am trying to get one up on Woodweb
later today.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/1832586743.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/1832586743.html

Drool

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, I will look there. I actually see this as a functional machine that
could be used in a pattern shop or by someone making curved doors/drawer
fronts or large arches. I got some really good use from it resawing. You
can't push a piece of lumber fast enough that it won't cut it and maintain
speed. But OWWM is a good idea.

woodstuff

woodstuff wrote:
Not for most folks here, but some larger shop owners cruise through here
occasionally.
I am 30 miles west of Fort Worth, TX.

Here is my post on craigslist, and I am trying to get one up on Woodweb
later today.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/1832586743.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/1832586743.html

Drool

It can be yours :-)

woodstuff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:53:46 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote the following:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/1832586743.html

Drool

Now look at the asking price.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/1832586743.html

Drool

Now look at the asking price.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
our every deficiency in foresight.

But this man really *needs* this machine. The cheapest new Northfield this
size is $15,300.

Back closer to reality, however, there are alot of industrial woodworking
machines floating around at really low prices. I am leaving out some
heartfelt comments about the government, the manufacturing exodus to china,
and the State of the Union as I see it

woodstuff

Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 7/8/2010 8:53 PM, woodstuff wrote:

Back closer to reality, however, there are alot of industrial woodworking
machines floating around at really low prices.I am leaving out some
heartfelt comments about the government, the manufacturing exodus to china,
and the State of the Union as I see it

woodstuff

What of the reality of your wife running into Walmart to by a bib for
some new rug rat. Not only has she helped put textile workers out of
work, she has also put the people who build the textile machines out
of work. Like dominos, when one falls another goes with it. Sooner or
later one of those dominos will land on her head. If you have an Asian
tool in your workshop you deserve a domino yourself.

Personally I'm sick of hearing people blame the government for
problems caused by their own greed. That's what it's all about, isn't
it. Jump up and yell all the patriotic slogans you can think of until
you have to reach into your wallet. Then it's f*** the country and
everyone in it. My money is more precious than anyting else. I'll by
the cheapest product I can find.

Shame on anyone who buys Asian products then blames the government for
the manufacturing exodus.

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LdB" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If the American government was not $11,000,000,000,000.00 + in debt perhaps
the American businesses could afford to build a product that is compeditive.
But it appears that the answer from out government is to tax the hell out
of every thing until everything grinds to a hault..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 9, 4:06*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"LdB" wrote in message

m...

[...]

The taxes are simply not where they need to be. Check out how many
industrialized nations don't have a VAT for imports. If there was a
US VAT on imports it would help level the playing field.

I've posted this before, just not sure if it was on this group:
http://www.reverecopper.com/pdf/MyCompanyCountry.pdf
That's from Revere Copper, of Paul Revere fame.

This is also interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ntage_of_ GDP
Notice the demarkation line above and below the US - with few
exceptions the countries with a lower tax revenue wouldn't be the
countries people would want to hold up as a model country. There are
some exceptions, but those exceptions have exceptions that skew the
numbers (such as petro-dollar countries).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LdB" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I choose not to engage you on this or any topic outside of woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2010 3:55 PM, woodstuff wrote:
wrote in message
m...
[...]

And I applaud you sir. It's a nice little thread about a testosterone charged
woodworking machine; let's keep it that way.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 4:06 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"LdB" wrote in message

m...

[...]

Have you ever looked at import taxes on automobiles?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

The taxes are simply not where they need to be. Check out how many
industrialized nations don't have a VAT for imports. If there was a
US VAT on imports it would help level the playing field.

Have you ever looked at import taxes on automobiles?

That's a slippery slope and protectionism was a key factor in deepening
the '30s depression.

OTOH, there are and have been a number of negotiated trade agreements
(the ones of which I am specifically aware are ag-related being a
farmer; I'm sure there are probably others in other areas as well) which
have been waiting for ratification for 2-3 years being held hostage by
certain congress-critters w/ particular axes to grind. Meanwhile, in
all those areas the Canadians, Australians, EU members have done
effectively shutting US exports out or at least damaging their relative
position in those markets greatly.

It's a complicated web but there's certainly a lack of coordinated
effort to ensure best possible playing field for US goods abroad in
general.

Another sticky wicket about to happen is the suspension of the onerous
requirements on Cuba that will expire Sept 30 w/, it appears, minimal
chances of getting an extension thru before Oct 1 owing to preoccupation
w/ other things or picayune arguments by a few again...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 9, 5:32*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 4:06 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"LdB" wrote in message
[...]

The economy and imports are not, ahem, driven by Detroit alone.
Congress...that's another matter.

I'm agreeing with your initial assessment, but tweaking it. It isn't
a case of taxing the hell out of everything, it's a case of not taxing
the right thing and taxing the wrong things.

In any event, it's a nice bandsaw, but a bit small for the bandsaw
jewelry boxes I make.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 9, 6:05*pm, dpb wrote:
Leon wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

The taxes are simply not where they need to be. *Check out how many
industrialized nations don't have a VAT for imports. *If there was a
US VAT on imports it would help level the playing field.

Have you ever looked at import taxes on automobiles?

That's a slippery slope and protectionism was a key factor in deepening
the '30s depression.

Times have changed. Unless a business makes enough money to stay
liquid they won't stay in business for long. The US is not liquid and
won't be until some things are addressed - China owning US debt is a
biggie. If the US had a VAT that would help correct a lot of the
imbalance in imports, debt, off-shoring manufacturing, etc.

OTOH, there are and have been a number of negotiated trade agreements
(the ones of which I am specifically aware are ag-related being a
farmer; I'm sure there are probably others in other areas as well) which
have been waiting for ratification for 2-3 years being held hostage by
certain congress-critters w/ particular axes to grind. *Meanwhile, in
all those areas the Canadians, Australians, EU members have done
effectively shutting US exports out or at least damaging their relative
position in those markets greatly.

This is the single biggest problem the country faces. When a country,
and government, can be held hostage by a single asshole and there's no
retribution or recourse. I consider that treason and the punishment
should be the standard.

Check out some import data from 2008:
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...value&sort=asc
The US has a notably smaller import value as a percentage of GDP than
almost any other country. The world is just as dependent on US
exports as we are on imports. A VAT would affect China most, and
would help address the debt/trade imbalance.

Of course it would have to start slow and be phased to give time to
adapt, and it won't be easy, but I don't see how it is avoidable if we
want to stay in business. Then again, metric was written into law and
we ignored that to our detriment, so who knows what will happen.

It's a complicated web but there's certainly a lack of coordinated
effort to ensure best possible playing field for US goods abroad in
general.

Another sticky wicket about to happen is the suspension of the onerous
requirements on Cuba that will expire Sept 30 w/, it appears, minimal
chances of getting an extension thru before Oct 1 owing to preoccupation
w/ other things or picayune arguments by a few again...

Maybe I misunderstand you - you believe the restrictions should be
renewed?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Applause! Some wood working intent!

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

And I applaud you sir. It's a nice little thread about a testosterone
charged
woodworking machine; let's keep it that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message

The taxes are simply not where they need to be. Check out how many
industrialized nations don't have a VAT for imports. If there was a
US VAT on imports it would help level the playing field.

Have you ever looked at import taxes on automobiles?

The economy and imports are not, ahem, driven by Detroit alone.
Congress...that's another matter.

I'm agreeing with your initial assessment, but tweaking it. It isn't
a case of taxing the hell out of everything, it's a case of not taxing
the right thing and taxing the wrong things.

In any event, it's a nice bandsaw, but a bit small for the bandsaw
jewelry boxes I make.

Where I was going, if the government could control its spending the burden
would be less on all of us. Most the Detroit auto makers would have fallen,
like they recently did, many years ato had the enormous import tax not been
in effect on foreign cars. The import taxd did not help the auto industry
it just patched one of many bleeders. IIRC the import tax on our 1990
Acura Integra was in the neighborhood of $6K on a car the stickered for
$14K.

I suspect the Northfield would NOT fit in your shop. I bet is is over 8'
tall and weighs 2700 lbx. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

RicodJour wrote:

Times have changed. ...

But protectionism is still a losing proposition...

Maybe I misunderstand you - you believe the restrictions should be
renewed?

No; the current exemption expires at end of fiscal year (automagically
restoring the restrictions which are still in force except for the
temporary exemption that is expiring) and doesn't look promising for
getting action to extend it (the exemption, that is) before then...it's
only a little over 2 months to go.

It's the same problem as the fact the current estate tax ceiling
(actually unlimited for the one year of 2010) expires and reverts back
to the $1M limit that's going to just kill family business transitions
unless it, too, gets extended. That also is stalled.

As well as the EPA 15% ethanol mandate, the blending tax credits on both
biodiesel and ethanol, and the list goes on ad nauseum...

Meanwhile, they wonder why there's no economic activity amidst the
uncertainty of not knowing which rules are going to be in effect and
when and for how long...